Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ And there's the problem. The US is a great country with many places to live. Why foreign investors are so caught up with FL is beyond me. Oh yeah, it's cheap, that's why... but cheap doesnt always make people happy.
Some people LIKE having a second home somewhere that is completely different from where they live usually. For the average non-Riviera French person, an ocean front condo in South Florida with nightlife and a cosmopolitan vibe may be exactly what they're looking for. Or, maybe a British person might enjoy a Florida key west or Spanish style condo in a palm tree lined neighborhood a couple miles from the beach.

Outdoors activities? For boaters, fishers, swimmers, jet skiiers, parasailers, windsurfers, etc. this place is perfect. Like hiking? How about state parks always within an hours' drive? Camping on Bahia Honda? PARADISE!

Likewise, if I were to buy a second home, it'd be somewhere completely different from where i live now... such as the mountains or a big city like Chicago or New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,907,466 times
^^^ TrimT7,

I agree. I'm all about living somewhere totally different from the everyday. What I'm saying is that people should buy where they want to live, not where it's cheap. Too many people buy into moving to FL because it's cheap, and its been that way for yrs. I'm not saying FL is a bad option, I'd love to own a condo in northern FL or the panhandle, etc. I'm saying too many people get caught up in where it's cheap to live, rather than where they may enjoy living more.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
you never been hialeah have you, we have beautiful homes with trees hialeah and miami have more attractions than asheville dude and we attract better residents than ashville, real people cause we have a real culture, we are not a fabricated town. we don't pretend to be something we are not like asheville. i go to the beach at least once a week.

101 Fun Attractions in Miami For Visitors Wanting Things To Do

Never been Hialeah.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Actually, I had plenty of people in agreement with me as the post ran its course. Go back and read the newer thread, Asheville Leaves a Lot to be Desired. I'm hardly alone in my thoughts about Asheville.

But this thread is about foreign buyers and I wonder how many savvy foreign buyers are rushing to live amongst the head shops of sooty, overcrowded Asheville.

THe OP was from Miami. He posted this as his argument...

"I'm taking my butt back to Miami where the weather is warm, the people are stylish and sophisticated....and the girls are HOT!!!!"

^^^ He's right about two things, the girls are hot and the weather is warm. The funny thing is before his trip to Asheville, he was very excited and wanted to leave Miami for Asheville. I guess Asheville is not enough like Miami for him.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM

810 posts, read 1,577,798 times
Quote:
THe OP was from Miami. He posted this as his argument...

"I'm taking my butt back to Miami where the weather is warm, the people are stylish and sophisticated....and the girls are HOT!!!!"

^^^ He's right about two things, the girls are hot and the weather is warm. The funny thing is before his trip to Asheville, he was very excited and wanted to leave Miami for Asheville. I guess Asheville is not enough like Miami for him.
is Asheville good enough for you? it's seems you can't move on and don't want to mentally leave florida? You do realize that this is the Florida board and not the NC board right? Do you? Your mind is still hanging on to Florida and all the negative experiences you had here. You go over them everyday and post about them every day. You can't break away from all these unpleasant memories. Do you realize that your body is in Asheville but your mind is still in Florida? Why don't you go on with your happy life in Asheville, leave all that negativity behind? Let me dedicate this song to you cause I have faith in you and I think you can move on to a happier state of mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtiXiYMS86U

Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,001,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
From my research, you can’t just move to the US to retire, ( not from Europe anyway ). You need to invest in a business, or get a job, and that can be very, very difficult, for a retiree.
Yes. Without a doubt the process is long (and might involve immigration lawyers and lots and lots of forms) but even on my little island, they're here full-time--the European continent is fairly well represented. And they own property.
Are some of them here because they married US citizens? I think so--but not all, I've met several couples who *both* speak with an English, German, Dutch or French accent.

Petanque is played at a local bar (and for the third consecutive year, our town is hosting a petanque tournament.)

Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 AM

13,602 posts, read 10,013,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes. Without a doubt the process is long (and might involve immigration lawyers and lots and lots of forms) but even on my little island, they're here full-time--the European continent is fairly well represented. And they own property.
Are some of them here because they married US citizens? I think so--but not all, I've met several couples who *both* speak with an English, German, Dutch or French accent.

Petanque is played at a local bar (and for the third consecutive year, our town is hosting a petanque tournament.)
Over here we are getting reports in the media of people that have bought into US businesses, and followed all the correct procedures, but are then told to get out of the US in no time at all.
It turns out that you have to be making enough profit to be allowed to stay.

These people are not trying to con the system, they are just not being given a chance.

Obviously due to them being told to leave at short notice, they need a quick sale on their property, this will force their asking price down, and hence affect other prices locally.

I don’t know how big a problem this is, but if we are getting TV programs devoted to this subject, then it must be of some significance.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM

776 posts, read 1,671,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Some people LIKE having a second home somewhere that is completely different from where they live usually. For the average non-Riviera French person, an ocean front condo in South Florida with nightlife and a cosmopolitan vibe may be exactly what they're looking for. Or, maybe a British person might enjoy a Florida key west or Spanish style condo in a palm tree lined neighborhood a couple miles from the beach.

Outdoors activities? For boaters, fishers, swimmers, jet skiiers, parasailers, windsurfers, etc. this place is perfect. Like hiking? How about state parks always within an hours' drive? Camping on Bahia Honda? PARADISE!

Likewise, if I were to buy a second home, it'd be somewhere completely different from where i live now... such as the mountains or a big city like Chicago or New York.
You hit it. Just as many who don't have the warm sunny weather year round, beautiful beaches or Disney World want a change so do many Floridians.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM

[quote=Hialeah_Rules;16171089]is Asheville good enough for you? it's seems you can't move on and don't want to mentally leave florida? You do realize that this is the Florida board and not the NC board right? Do you? Your mind is still hanging on to Florida and all the negative experiences you had here. You go over them everyday and post about them every day. You can't break away from all these unpleasant memories. Do you realize that your body is in Asheville but your mind is still in Florida? Why don't you go on with your happy life in Asheville, leave all that negativity behind? Let me dedicate this song to you cause I have faith in you and I think you can move on to a happier state of mind.

I didn't bring up NC or Asheville. Someone else did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-bq...eature=related

Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,577,798 times
Quote:
I didn't bring up NC or Asheville. Someone else did.
you implied it because in your mind you cannot comprehend why some people might have a different view than yours. You feel a need in your heart to trash Florida and tell the world how other places are better. 18 million people choose to live here, 1/3 of them live in South Florida, many life myself live happily here. Others want to move here, but can't. You live in Asheville and your happy, enjoy, live and let live. Why did you choose to ignore the rest of my post. huh?

Quote:
^^^ And there's the problem. The US is a great country with many places to live. Why foreign investors are so caught up with FL is beyond me. Oh yeah, it's cheap, that's why... but cheap doesnt always make people happy.
Florida is not really that cheap. Except for California and the north eastern states, all other states are the same or cheaper than Florida. And if you think South Florida is cheap then you need to do some googling cause it aint cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida