Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM

23,553 posts, read 70,067,529 times

Advertisements

You could always invest in "forever" stamps...

If you pull away all the dross from investment analysts and economists, some basics become apparent. Outside of severely politically influenced products, companies, and investments, the underlying values are energy and commodities. You can't do squat without energy at a reasonable price, and you can't eat energy or make a home out of it. Add in healthcare and an understanding of Maslow's heirarchy of human development and you might have a good chance at weathering any depression.

However... if things are going to H--- in a handbasket, you can't have ongoing costs draining your nest egg. Cable tv, cell phones, high taxes, high manditory insurance, and other expenses add up quickly if there is no income to offset them. The time to ditch these is now, if you want to build wealth.

Florida is probably not a great place to be in a major recession or '30s style depression, but it might be a lot better than L.A. or NYC. Remember how the WPA and other agencies moved the desperate from the cities to giant projects in the country. The same technique was used on the Bonus Marchers to diffuse the potential for further civil unrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM

372 posts, read 858,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I was born in 1961. I am at the tail-end of the boomer generation and am quite use to standing in line only to have the window close in my face when it becomes my turn. I fully expect this to happen when it comes time for me to collect social security.
preach on, bro!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:03 PM

372 posts, read 858,271 times
ETFs That Win Big With a Housing Bust

ETFs That Win Big With a Housing Bust - Personal Finance - ETF - DHI - ITB

Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,913,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychiefsfan View Post
Gold is questionably high right now. Precious metals do well during recessions, but how much higher can gold go? It still might be worth the risk... Diamonds seem to hold value well, too.
Funny you mention this, I was just reading that gold doesn't seem so expensive when you look at the price of gold adjusted for inflation. Gold spiked in 1980 to $870 which equals $2,200 in 2006 dollars. So we are still trading at less than 1/3 of the inflation adjusted cycle top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida