Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times

Advertisements

Please explain those stats to me. The top ten gained cities...the top ten loss cities. Then you subtracted the top losers from the top gainers. How about all the places that were between the top 10 gainers or losers?

And did people simply leave one city in Florida and move to another? If so, the stats are meaningless as far as measuring population growth.

Other questions, seriously, I must be missing something....

1. Why are schools losing kids?

2. Are those gains actually people residing in the state...how about investors and flippers who bought homes but don't live in FL? How do they calculate actual residents vs just properties purchased but not lived in?

3. Why are Uhaul rates so much lower coming to Florida if the state is gaining all these people?

Thanks.

Last edited by JimKing; 08-03-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM

120 posts, read 170,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Please explain those stats to me. The top ten gained cities...the top ten loss cities. Then you subtracted the top losers from the top gainers. How about all the places that were between the top 10 gainers or losers?

And did people simply leave one city in Florida and move to another? If so, the stats are meaningless as far as measuring population growth.

2. Are those gains actually people residing in the state...how about investors and flippers who bought homes but don't live in FL? How do they calculate actual residents vs just properties purchased but not lived in?

3. Why are Uhaul rates so much lower coming to Florida if the state is gaining all these people?

Thanks.
Not all schools are losing kids. Lee County is actually gaining more students than anywhere in the state. I agree though that this doesn't really tell us much. Sure, Miami gained the most new people, but then Hialeigh (sp?) lost the most people. From what I've seen, Miami-Dade county as a whole isn't gaining too many people (I honestly don't have actual numbers to back up that info though). Lee County gained more residents than any other county in the state, yet only one Lee County city made the top ten list. I know that the state is gaining new people overall, but this list isn't an accurate way to judge where the are all going. They should list the stats by county instead IMO.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post

Thanks.
1.Schools in my county are expanding for the new students so it may be true in a few counties, overall we are not losing kids.

2.Population almost always counts residents not houses.

3.I just checked 2 uhaul rates. Rates were at least twice as much coming to Florida and almost 3 times as much.

New York to Brooksville was $1900+ - Brooksville to New York was $750+
Ft.Wayne, NJ to Brooksville was $1900+ - Brooksville to Ft.Wayne was $900+

Last edited by Mike1306; 08-03-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
I just ran the UHaul estimator with two states (East of Cleavland OH 44057 and NE Atlanta GA 30518)... BOTH where more expensive to rent a 26' truck One Way from Ocala 34473 to Out of State than the cost to rent from the Other states INTO Ocala FL.

You can check rates here: U-Haul: Equipment rates and reservations (http://reservations.uhaul.com/ReservationsWeb/Default.aspx - broken link)

I just wanted to post the link.

IE: 26' Truck, One Way
From 30518 Atl to 34473 Ocala $473
From 34473 Ocala to 30518 Atl $523

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 08-03-2007 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM

I just did the U-haul estimator too. Atlanta to Ft. Myers was about $200 cheaper than Ft. Myers to Atlanta. Cleveland-Ft. Myers was about $400 more expensive than Ft. Myers to Cleveland. I guess it just depends on the location.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I just did the U-haul estimator too. Atlanta to Ft. Myers was about $200 cheaper than Ft. Myers to Atlanta. Cleveland-Ft. Myers was about $400 more expensive than Ft. Myers to Cleveland. I guess it just depends on the location.
It is quite possibly that Ft. Myers (zip??) is in a better economical state than Ocala?? OR it may be the amount of travel from that area you are in. I know here, we have lost or are losing about 80% of our neighbors... not counting us, we are leaving (only 25 minutes east) this section of Ocala. They (the neighbors) are all leaving the state.

IE: leaving 9/10/2007 One Way
from 33919 Ft Myrs TO 30518 Atl in a 26' truck is $858
from 30518 Atl TO 33919 Ft Myrs in a 26' truck is $605
($253 more)

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
It is quite possibly that Ft. Myers (zip??) is in a better economical state than Ocala?? OR it may be the amount of travel from that area you are in. I know here, we have lost or are losing about 80% of our neighbors... not counting us, we are leaving (only 25 minutes east) this section of Ocala. They (the neighbors) are all leaving the state.

IE: leaving 9/10/2007 One Way
from 33919 Ft Myrs TO 30518 Atl in a 26' truck is $858
from 30518 Atl TO 33919 Ft Myrs in a 26' truck is $605
($253 more)
Ft. Myers is probably one the better areas of the state as far as the number of new residents moving in. Though, I haven't seen the 2007 numbers yet so I have nothing to base this on other than my own observations. I'm noticing more out-of-state license plates in the morning and evening commutes, but this is obviouly not the best way to gauge an area's performance.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
1.Schools in my county are expanding for the new students so it may be true in a few counties, overall we are not losing kids.

2.Population almost always counts residents not houses.

3.I just checked 2 uhaul rates. Rates were at least twice as much coming to Florida and almost 3 times as much.

New York to Brooksville was $1900+ - Brooksville to New York was $750+
Ft.Wayne, NJ to Brooksville was $1900+ - Brooksville to Ft.Wayne was $900+
Mr. Realtor...you are a piece of work! You picked two places where there is little chance of Floridians moving. And of course many New Yorkers and New Jerseyites have historically bought places in Florida, so that number would be skewed. You picked 2 locations that would have the highest skew in the numbers!

Gee you mean a family or young person forced out of Florida due to high costs is not moving to NY or NJ, other high costs states? Wow! Try rates from Florida to North Carolina. Boca to Charlotte, NC $1277 Charlotte to Boca:$211

I saw your 2 to 1 rate difference and raised you with a 6 to 1 rate difference. Do I win this game now? Can you find any 6 to 1 rate differences coming into Florida?

Anyway sir....hats off to you, you are as clever as anyone at finding ways to make Florida real estate look good. Nice job!

Last edited by JimKing; 08-03-2007 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
This is sooo much fun!

Fort Myers to Knoxville, Tennessee: $1,425.

Knoxville to Fort Myers: $404.

Good golly! That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is sooo much fun!

Fort Myers to Knoxville, Tennessee: $1,425.

Knoxville to Fort Myers: $404.

Good golly! That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!
You beat me to it, I was going to do Tennessee next! Common sense says the young families are the ones being squeezed by housing. They obviously are moving to lower priced states.

Our realtor friend is great entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida