Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 AM

34 posts, read 140,888 times

Advertisements

Immokalee and Belle Glade: Both rural areas isolated from the main population in their counties. Both have economies based off agriculture and populated by many immigrants. Both are very poor and have high crime despite being in counties with extremely wealthy places (Naples and Palm Beach).

Fort Myers and West Palm Beach. Both cities' "bad" sides are their northside while they have "good" neighborhoods on their southsides. Both have a snowbird population and are located close to islands that have an amazing amount of wealth (Sanibel and Palm Beach Island

Tampa and Miami: Both are the largest cities in their regions (gulf coast and southeast florida). Both have large Cuban populations, and are located on Bays (Tampa Bay and Key Biscayne Bay.)

Got any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Port St. Lucie (East Coast) and Northport (West Coast)

Both are fairly new cities with large working and middle class population. Both were terribly overbuilt during the boom and now suffer the consequences of many foreclosures and a weak construction economy. Both are primarily sprawling bedroom communities. Both were envisioned and founded by General Development Corporation.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Daytona Beach on the east, and Panama City on the west. Both tacky redneck hangouts. Nothing against rednecks (lots of people would call me one), and Daytona Beach is my hometown, but the cities are what they are.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Naples/west = Boca Raton/east.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 57,663 times
Please don't ever compare Miami with Tampa....granted that what you said of location is true, but trust me Miami much better in climate, people, crime, beaches.....and yes Miami has some really bad areas but if you live toward the east or south or south east, is like living in an oasis of the best that Florida can provide.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
How about Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale....

Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
How about Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale....
Nah, I don't see that one. Ft Lauderdale is much more built up and seems more congested, IMO. Ft Lauderdale has probably three times the population as Sarasota. I would compare Sarasota (west) to Jupiter (east). I think Sarasota has a few thousand more people though. I believe the age range is pretty similar as well.

I get a lot of people looking and comparing both areas. Both are also noted for their excellent school systems. Both are kind of laid back artsy towns.

TriMT7-you're right on with the North Port vs. Port Saint Lucie comparison. Funny thing is they even used alot of the same street names in both towns.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
How about Dunedin and Indialantic?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Daytona Beach on the east, and Panama City on the west. Both tacky redneck hangouts. Nothing against rednecks (lots of people would call me one), and Daytona Beach is my hometown, but the cities are what they are.

Wow, not to seem harsh or hurt anyones feelings who lives in these towns but I think you nailed it.

Even thought the panhandle is crisp, clean and beautiful, Panama City in a way in an embarassment in the reputation of the panhandle.

I believe Panama City is the Daytona Beach of the panhandle and that is not in a good way.

On the other side Daytona is the embarrassment to the east coast. Run down and becoming ultra dirty, Daytona needs to get itself together before it collapses to the ground.

Daytona leaders need to learn from Myrtle Beach leaders, they have a code to keep and over the last decade they made the hotels and owners of business keep their places nice, painted, CLEAN and attractive. Daytona is becoming a dump. In fact I won't even stay in Daytona anymore. I will stay outside of Daytona and drive in the enjoy the wide beach area.

So, I agree, they are a good comparison as they are both going downhill and need to be revitalized badly.

The only difference is Panama City has the advantage as it has a much better beach and I believe smarter leaders who will not allow it to continue to dive into what Daytona has become.

It is literally sad to see that Florida has allowed Daytona to become what it is today. More people talk about how dirty Daytona is then its beach anymore when years ago it was the pride and joy of the east coast.

My honest opinion of your comparisons.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 31,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua70 View Post
Please don't ever compare Miami with Tampa....granted that what you said of location is true, but trust me Miami much better in climate, people, crime, beaches.....and yes Miami has some really bad areas but if you live toward the east or south or south east, is like living in an oasis of the best that Florida can provide.

So now Tampa has a higher crime rate than Miami? Where have I been and what have I missed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida