Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 AM

232 posts, read 886,502 times

Advertisements

I was wondering a few things and hoping you guys and gals could answer. Currently my husband and I pay 1500 a year for HOI and 1500 a year for our taxes and 1000 every 6 months for our car insurance. I know many have been talking about how expensive their HOI is. Now, does your homeowners insurance pay for any hurricane damage at all? I know that up here flooding is a big problem but our homeowners will not cover ANYTHING that is damaged in a flood...so like I told my hubby it stinks having to pay that much a year and the only good it does is cover us for a break in, someone getting hurt on our property etc. We live in the country in a nice home we had built 2600 sq ft but live wedged between two trailers. We also have 1acre. Our taxes are 60 percent of appraised value. I quess my question is if your HOI covers hurricanes and if not are you just SOL and have to come up with the money to repair like we do with flooding? How is car insurance rates? Our states is one of the highest in the country. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Oh, now come on guys I know you all have something to say!! Six views and yet no posts???

Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Default FEMA flood insurance

Flood insurance is sold separately, and in most situations, it is relatively inexpensive. If you live in a flood zone, you really should buy it. It's a federal thing but any insurance agent worth his/her salt should be able to explain how it works. Or you can just go online - use the search term I provided as my title.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:17 AM

442 posts, read 2,912,422 times
swamp land should be free for Flood insurance, that would give about 99% free flood insurance

Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,603 times
My understanding in Florida , it is sold separately if you live in certain zones,
I had townhome during H Elena, I had no flood insurance. But it covered my livingroom floor got wet and warp.
Car Insurance is cheaper the less people. Certain counties are alot higher.
We pay 800 for 6mos coverage for 2 people 2 cars, 50/100 coverage.
full coverage. When we moved to Hillsborough for 6mos, it jumped up to 1100 for 6 mos. than back down when we came back to Polk county.
We have Geico. dont now about other insurance co.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Sorry if I misprepresented what I was asking....I was really interested in if your HOI pays for hurricane damage. I just used flooding here because that is what is most prevelant here..I am not in a flood area. I was just complaining that you pay high premiums but yet it doesnt cover you for what you really need when your home is damaged by a natural disaster that is out of your control. So, does your homeowners cover hurricane damage or do you have to buy a seperate policy?? Thanks and sorry for the confusion

Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
We have Geico. dont now about other insurance co.
Just as a side note... several times over the years I have called around to get quotes on insurance. I've been with State Farm for about 17 years, but I check every once in a while for cheaper rates. In my calling around I have found Geico to be the absolute most expensive insurance company out there.

Think about it, they advertise like crazy and that adveritising money has to be passed onto the consumer. Their rates are outrageous. You might want to call around and see what else is out there.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM

RedWingsFAn we had prudential for years and they switched to liberty and our rates went up. My husband and I are not young drivers me 40 and him 52 with clean driving records after contacting tons of carriers we found Geico to be the cheapest and they actually did save us almost 600 dollars. Go figure...

Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 AM

159 posts, read 655,781 times
Once upon a time my ex and I went through a lawsuit concerning what lender owned our mortgage (long story). Our attorney at the time gave us advise about homeowners insurance in the course of conversation. He advised we check prices regulary because the initial rates are teaser rates and will increase every year. I am sure that advise holds true throughout the entire insurance industry.

(Off-topic) BTW, I have had Geico auto insurance for longer than some of their employees have been alive. I have to stay on top of them or they edge up just like all of them but I pay $410/6 mos or $820/year currently. About the same as I was paying 20 years ago I think.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
There is a separate part of the policy that covers hurricane damage. It has a different, much higher deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: