Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post
Used car- $1000 dollars???? What kind of deals are you getting? Any below average used car will cost about $3000 and a decent one will cost probably $6000 and more....
Cheap Cars For Sale - Find Cheap Used Cars at Autopten.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
In Palm Beach County during the rainy months it is hard to see driving in a car with how hard it comes down at times. I can't imagine on a scooter. That on top of the fear of getting hit by a car cause there are so many bad accidents.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,277 times
I wouldn't be on one on the roads here! Maybe on a sidewalk, even then I'm not sure I would use it for my mainstay....Let me give you another tip.... In Florida anyway.... there is a bit of a stigma for people on mopeds, they are known and sold as DUI bikes! (For those who lose their license due to a DUI). Just thought I should give you that heads up!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 AM

35 posts, read 281,838 times
Yea, my mind has kind of completely changed about getting a moped...One big factor I just realized was- GETTING GROCERIES!!! How would I ever get my groceries home on a moped?? Or any kind of shopping.... Going through a drive-thru on a moped?? Pulling up to a bunch of hot girls on a moped?? Leaving my moped on the street every night to get stolen.... And the biggest of all... Thunderstorms where the wind blows me all over the road and cars cant see me beacuse of the rain...Nah, No thank you...

Looks like I just have to purchase a vehicle..Maybe set up some kind of payment plan...

Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 AM

289 posts, read 569,982 times
We've been to Daytona for 4 years now for the 4th of July weekend race at Daytona International Speedway (Coke Zero 400). We usually arrive a couple of days early & stay a couple extra days after. So we kinda get to see both sides of how the town is.

Mopeds/scooters are pleantiful down there for rent. Mostly around the beach. However I have seen some in town. Mostly people in Daytona without a car seem to favor a bicycle or the city bus, or they just walk. Heck rent a scotter for a day & see how you like it & how it would or wouldn't work with your lifestyle.

I want to move to Daytona myself & have said that I'd like to get a scotter when I get down there. But I would also have my car as a backup for when I need 20 lbs of dog food, extra groceries, it's raining, to cold, etc.

If you don't have a car & have changed your mind on the scotter, you can always take the bus until you can get a used/new car. The car dealerships seem to be plentiful in Daytona as well. There's several on Nova going from 92 into Holly Hill. Heck there's several on 92. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just move down & see what work best for you when you get there.

And don't forget craislist. You can get all kinds of stuff off there. I've considered packing what I can into my car & starting over with stuff off craislist. Heck a $50 bed, $20 dresser & tv, free couches, etc. It wouldn't take alot to do that.

Good luck.....

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Here in Tampa, unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of bicyclists getting killed by automobiles. Can't see mopeds/motor-scooterists faring much better.

Be careful.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There are exceptions, because Florida is a big state with many very, very different areas, but most of it is known as not pedestrian or bicyclist friendly. That's PC for they will run you over and kill you in a heartbeat. It doesn't help that they are a) not the politest drivers and b) many of the seniors shouldn't even be driving. That's PC for they are aiming for you.

Further, when it rains in Florida, it might only be for 20 minutes, but wow, it can soak you in 30 seconds. It is torrential rain that comes up fast and the sky opens up; the palm trees bend to the ground and the rain is brutal. I don't think anyone mentioned how slick the streets are when wet, in Florida. Much of the roads are made with ground shells. When wet, the oil rises onto the street and it can be worse than black ice. The first and only time I was in an accident was in Florida. It began to rain, I gently hit the break as I went around a corner and went right into a parking lot and hit a tree. No one had bothered to tell this Yankee about the roads.

The joke is it will start to rain and then everyone waits for the sirens to start howling.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
We've been to Daytona for 4 years now for the 4th of July weekend race at Daytona International Speedway (Coke Zero 400). We usually arrive a couple of days early & stay a couple extra days after. So we kinda get to see both sides of how the town is.

Mopeds/scooters are pleantiful down there for rent. Mostly around the beach. However I have seen some in town. Mostly people in Daytona without a car seem to favor a bicycle or the city bus, or they just walk. Heck rent a scotter for a day & see how you like it & how it would or wouldn't work with your lifestyle.

I want to move to Daytona myself & have said that I'd like to get a scotter when I get down there. But I would also have my car as a backup for when I need 20 lbs of dog food, extra groceries, it's raining, to cold, etc.

If you don't have a car & have changed your mind on the scotter, you can always take the bus until you can get a used/new car. The car dealerships seem to be plentiful in Daytona as well. There's several on Nova going from 92 into Holly Hill. Heck there's several on 92. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just move down & see what work best for you when you get there.

And don't forget craislist. You can get all kinds of stuff off there. I've considered packing what I can into my car & starting over with stuff off craislist. Heck a $50 bed, $20 dresser & tv, free couches, etc. It wouldn't take alot to do that.

Good luck.....

Yea, you're right..I'd rather ride a bike than a moped...Thats free and a good exercise... I would only be riding it to and from work...

And yes, craiglist does have a lot of good things to offer....I see they even have several people looking for roommates in the daytona area...I'm thinking about doing that for when I first move down there..Untill I get familiar with the area and able to get my own place....

Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
On bike or moped you have to be so careful. I have seen more accidents in the year I have been here then probably the rest of my life up north. Someone could not pay me to ride on the road other then in a car
As for rentals if you come off season you may even find a short term very reasonable rental.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
On bike or moped you have to be so careful. I have seen more accidents in the year I have been here then probably the rest of my life up north. Someone could not pay me to ride on the road other then in a car
As for rentals if you come off season you may even find a short term very reasonable rental.

So you can't ride your bicycle on the sidewalks at all?? That's the law where I live, but they don't enforce it too heavy...Just as long as you're not zooming down the sidewalk...That's the dumbest law...Just asking for bikers to get slammed by cars........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida