Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM

345 posts, read 867,219 times

Advertisements

We (me, my wife, and cousin, all round 30+/-) driving to Florida from Charlotte, North Carolina during thanksgiving weekend for about 5 days.. please suggest some places.

Our plan is to drive to key west and cover some places on the way, we have been to Orlando before, so we do not want to stop in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Five days isn't a lot of time especially if you want to go to KeyWest. I would suggest at least two nights in Key West. It takes four hours to get from Miami to Key West if there are no accidents along the way to give you idea driving time. So you may want to only stop at one other place on this short trip. Maybe St. Augustine or some place that is half way between Charlotte and Key West.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,308,345 times
I would suggest not going to Key West. Key West is very expensive, overrated, very small and dirty and run down. It's not a very good place to travel to. Hotels there are $110/ night at the cheapest and run all the way up to $400.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 22,650,364 times
So you're talking Atlantic side in order to not waste travel time. I'd probably make the first overnight stop in St. Augustine and spend a day there or aim for Daytona and then spend a day at Kennedy Space Center. (If they still have the Historic Cape Canaveral Tour, I liked that one a lot better than the normal public tour)

Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times
I'm surprised to hear that Key West is not the great attraction that many people say it is, especially with all the cruise ships that stop there. I'll be going to Florida in January with a school group and will be based in FOrt Lauderdale with activities in West Palm Beach and Miami. However I have 2-3 free days and plan on visiting the Florida Keys, probably Marathon. I'm wondering if the drive all the way down the Overseas Highway to Key West is worth it, I hear its one of the most scenic routes in America. I also have a friend living there who says its great and who I'll be visiting.

What about the Everglades or Biscayne National Park?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 PM

109 posts, read 324,075 times
I would suggest the same as others here.. St. Augustine is wonderful! I lived in Daytona 9 years and LOVE IT! The spacecoast, Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Kennedy space center is also great!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,586,461 times
I gotta go along with doggiebus, Key West and St Augustine would be perfect historical scenic places for your trip if you don't want to do the Orlando thing. Most people outside of Florida have no idea how unique these two cities are compared to the rest of Florida, or to the rest of the country for that matter Plus you are going to go during Thanksgiving weekend, and these two cities may "holiday-up" the places by then, making for an even more quaint and charming atmosphere for family and photography

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
St. Augustine is great - just be aware that both St. Augustine and Daytona will be JAMMED with tourists over Thanksgiving - that is like the biggest weekend of the year in those places due to art festivals and the Daytona Turkey Rod run. That means huge amounts of traffic and throngs of people - I have been there during those weekends and for me, never again. But if you don't mind the traffic, then for sure it is a great stop.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
I would head for the Everglades. Not Key West.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,130 times
Gotta disagree with the people who are giving KW the thumbs down. I love this place. Just went back for a week last month. I also like St. Augustine - most recent visit was a year and a half ago. You might also like Amelia Island which is about an hour and a half north of St. Augustine although I have only been there in the summer and so I don't know how it is this time of year. I am not that familiar with the Atlantic coast as I usually stay on the Gulf side and I agree that 5 days isn't long enough to do the west coast.

The Everglades are worth a visit if you have time or if you prefer raw nature as opposed to restaurants and other attractions. Otherwise, head for the Keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida