Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,311,694 times

Advertisements

Rick Scott barely won with 50,000 more votes than Alex Sink. But it got me wondering, would have she won if she wasn't a woman? Even today, there are some people who aren't very comfortable with a woman being governor, so her being a woman probably lost her some potential voters. I think if Sink was a man, she probably could have won the election.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,388,151 times
My hope is that the answer to this question is no. I wish to think that people have moved passed things like this and instead look at the person not their gender. But I know we still have plenty of ignorant people in this country that think a man can run something better than a woman.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,761,479 times
No...I don't think this at all. Look at all the support that Hillary Clinton had; and she was running for president!

Personally I think it is really backwards that we haven't had female president yet btw. Great Britain, India, Israel, etc have all had female leaders. What's our problem?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,240,622 times
No, she probably could have won if she could have distanced herself from Obama and being a former BOA executive. Obama was kryptonite for anyone running for office this year.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,734,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
No...I don't think this at all. Look at all the support that Hillary Clinton had; and she was running for president!

Personally I think it is really backwards that we haven't had female president yet btw. Great Britain, India, Israel, etc have all had female leaders. What's our problem?

I don't know, but as long as it is ANYONE but Palin it would be good.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 AM

9,309 posts, read 14,209,477 times
The United States would not be in such serious decline if, for decades now, a significant percentage of the body social were not wasting so much time, energy, and talent on such stupidities as racial and gender politics, feeding notoriously on its own intestines while its medium-sized manufacturing dies a slow death, the carcass fed upon by its own heads and swirling vultures.

In the current climate, Alex Sink would have won if she were not a democrat. Notice that Scott won with less than 50% of the vote. In fact, a significant number of candidates for senator and governor across the country, including Florida in both instances, both democrats and republicans (intestine-pickers of subset A and intestine-pickers of subset B), won with less than 50% of the vote.

What does that mean? The intestines crying out.

The monster has two heads but the body is one.

Yeah, too subtle for those wasting time and energy on blue and green at the races.

Good-Bye and Good Luck!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,369,500 times
Bill McCollum was basically the male version of Sink. Scott beat him too, so I don't think it was a gender thing.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,271,435 times
Seeing as how this was the closest governor's race since Sidney Catts (1910s or 1920s), I don't think gender played any real role in the outcome. I think it all came down to who had catchier slogans and more money.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,732,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Rick Scott barely won with 50,000 more votes than Alex Sink. But it got me wondering, would have she won if she wasn't a woman? Even today, there are some people who aren't very comfortable with a woman being governor, so her being a woman probably lost her some potential voters. I think if Sink was a man, she probably could have won the election.

What do you think?
No. She could have won by a landslide easily. She just had to get the voters to the polls. You can't do that by just knocking the other guy you have to have something to offer. Scott ran a pretty positive campaign. He repeated over and over what he was going to do, whether it is true or not. He said "Lets get to work" so many times people decided to take a leap of faith and jump on board. Who knows what he will do but all people can do is go with their gut and that a chance with the knowledge they can vote him out the next time. It is hard to win with a candidate who is as bland as Sink. Her voters didn't vote for the other guy, they stayed home.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

20 posts, read 45,590 times
I don't really think Gender was the problem.. More positive points of view and peoples concerns about FL declining situations .. Was still very close though ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida