Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times

Advertisements

I have a question about older homes without garages.
I realize that local ordinances will vary from one area to another but I'll ask anyway.

I've noticed that Florida in general seems to have many older homes without garages. From most of the photos of the houses on the market, it seems, though I could be wrong, that many houses once had either a garage or carport that has been converted to a bedroom. It seems the lack of a garage greatly reduces the value of these homes in relation to the surrounding properties.

I'm not looking to flip but for a warm place to live and was wondering just how much cost and hassle it would be to convert a bedroom back into a garage? I only need a small two bedroom and a garage. Do you think it would be worth it to buy a cheaper 3 or 4 bedroom and convert the bedroom with the driveway leading to it back into a garage?

I could be way off. I suppose it's possible the homes were just designed that way but it certainly appears they've been converted.

Right now I am focusing on Southwest Florida so any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be honest, I'm looking at cheap. I paid off my house in California over 10 years ago and have grown quite accustomed to not having to fork out 3/4 of every dollar I make to keep a roof overhead.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM

162 posts, read 677,422 times
Storage space is always an issue in Florida. Attics and garages can be too hot and humid to store things. I would not give up a bedroom to convert it to garage space. I'd rather use it for climate controlled storage if I didn't have any other use for it. Also, I would think losing a bedroom would lessen the value of the home more than not having a garage. I would think you could build a detached garage cheaply, if there is room on the property.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
You are right that there are a lot of conversions of garages into bedrooms. I don't know how much it decreases the value...I would think that the conversion would increase the value, but a three bedroom without a garage (because the garage was converted into a third bedroom) would be of less value than an otherwise equivalent three bedroom home wit ha garage. The smaller value does not come from the conversion but from the lack of garage. How much that matters to a particular buyer will vary by buyer. PErsonally, I won't consider a home without at least a carport. But it isn't as important to others.

I agree with the previous poster....I can't see that it makes financial sense to convert a bedroom back into a garage. It will cost money and probably be worth less since it would then have one less bedroom. I know there aren't that many 2 bedroom garage houses on the market (since 3 bedrooms are in much greater demand and sell better) but there are some. There is a lot of inventory out there now so I would suggest just trying to look for a 2 bedroom house with a garage. Since there is a smaller market for 2 bedroom homes you should be able to get a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida