Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cracks me up. I remember on many occasions while growing up in South Florida driving behind a gargantuan Buick or Cadillac at 20 mph with what appeared to be a Q-Tip at the controls. It of course would turn out to be a little old lady who could barely see over the dash and completely out of mirror viewing range. Frightening!
That happens a lot on regular roads(30-40 mph). They do drive sometimes like they are in school speed zones. Well we all gonna die or be like them someday. Those poor people need to drive somehow, not all of them have the resources to hire a private driver or have family that runs their errands. I'm not sure I agree with removing their driving rights, I think if we all keep a safe distance and are a little patient, we can eventually pass them or get to our destination. We can't just pretend they don't exist, and it's not like we have decent public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,434 times
People like "PRINC3Ss" make my blood boil from behind the screen nevermind if I was stuck in a car behind you. You're not a princess, get out of the left lane, you don't need to be there.

I agree with the OP. And all speed limits should be boosted up. 2010, we have cars capable of going WELL beyond the posted limits, even for a mediocre driver. Let the slow pokes stay in the right lane.

My arguement is for those that advocate going the speed limit in the left lane, I hope one day you are in a car and pregnant or you have to rush to a hospital for some life or death situation and you are stuck behind a rolling baricade of people going the speed limit down the highway, with princess doing the speed limit in the left lane. Think of it that way, maybe you'll change your mind. That person tailgating you may have a damn good reason to get where they have to go.

It's an arrogant American mentality, and one trait from Europe that I saw at a young age and liked. Everyone stays right and passes left. You're not a police officer, so let me speed if I want to. And if you want to continue to not get out of my way, I will high beam you, honk the horn, and proceed to cut you off and make you **** your pants.

/end rant.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:26 AM

I won't change my mind. Tailgating in my opinion is criminal behavior. You see I don't come from a place where people get bent out of shape for little rhings and people are just plain rude by nature or because life is so tough in some farming Midwest town or rat infested NE city

I never said I drive on the left lane, so I hope your blood now is at room temperature. I just don't agree with this aggressive behavior some people import from other places in the USA. It's funny how the biggest whiners are not even Florida natives but from some other NE or midwest state. You don't like it? Do us a favor, don't come. We don't need histeric people tailgating and causing more accidents.

And people like you don't scare me, please, I come from a place where you wouldn't live to tell your whining stories, not from some rat infested place where people think they are tough by having a big mouth and hiding behind a wheel, but When you confront them face to face suddently they "ain't so tough no more"

Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,434 times
You think its rude for someone to tailgate, high beam, pass on right, etc? Funny I think its rude to go the speed limit when people have places to go and you can easily just drive in either of the other two lanes. (When I say you I mean anyone going the speed limit in the left lane).

Slow drivers in the fast lane are not just in FL, its a huge problem everywhere including our rat infested Eastern states where we are high strung, low on time, and have a billion people that have no idea how to drive.

Slow left lane drivers that have this policing idea will NOT cause less accidents that you are afraid of due to tail gating, in fact it will probably cause more as we go around you and squeeze between cars to get to our important destination. This weekend alone I must have let 4 people know to GTFO of my way. When I become president, sports cars for everyone!

Also, thanks for the rep point if it was you. I enjoy reps like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I won't change my mind. Tailgating in my opinion is criminal behavior. You see I don't come from a place where people get bent out of shape for little rhings and people are just plain rude by nature or because life is so tough in some farming Midwest town or rat infested NE city

I never said I drive on the left lane, so I hope your blood now is at room temperature. I just don't agree with this aggressive behavior some people import from other places in the USA. It's funny how the biggest whiners are not even Florida natives but from some other NE or midwest state. You don't like it? Do us a favor, don't come. We don't need histeric people tailgating and causing more accidents.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

I didn't rep you, why would I? I'm telling YOU already what I think. but if a nasty rep comment was left, just know it's common in this Florida board.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM

354 posts, read 1,272,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
People like "PRINC3Ss" make my blood boil from behind the screen nevermind if I was stuck in a car behind you. You're not a princess, get out of the left lane, you don't need to be there.

I agree with the OP. And all speed limits should be boosted up. 2010, we have cars capable of going WELL beyond the posted limits, even for a mediocre driver. Let the slow pokes stay in the right lane.

My arguement is for those that advocate going the speed limit in the left lane, I hope one day you are in a car and pregnant or you have to rush to a hospital for some life or death situation and you are stuck behind a rolling baricade of people going the speed limit down the highway, with princess doing the speed limit in the left lane. Think of it that way, maybe you'll change your mind. That person tailgating you may have a damn good reason to get where they have to go.

It's an arrogant American mentality, and one trait from Europe that I saw at a young age and liked. Everyone stays right and passes left. You're not a police officer, so let me speed if I want to. And if you want to continue to not get out of my way, I will high beam you, honk the horn, and proceed to cut you off and make you **** your pants.

/end rant.
I think we have multiple left lane rolling road block candidates - add to the list:
1) speed limit nazis
2) text'rs and distracted
3) people who don't want to drive behind anyone (includes cruise control users)
4) clueless

I don't think we need anti text'r laws. Just enforce driving to endanger.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM

16 posts, read 44,366 times
I would invite any Florida drivers to come spend a week with me in Atlanta. You will learn new and interesting things about yourself, and others. ;-)

Atlanta is actually passing a law that would make left lane parking an illegal and ticketable offense. It's a nice gesture, but in reality, will be impossible to enforce. Traffic is so congested here, that it is in the everyone's best interest, and in the interest of safety, to keep it flowing. You will not see ANY speed enforcement on the highways in ATL during rush hours. Keep it moving is the sole goal of law enforcement, and you can drive any speed you like. Slow drivers in ATL are more of a risk than speeders, and highway traffic moves at about 75-80.

FWIW, and as others have stated, left lane parking occurs everywhere, not just FL. Atlantans have absolutely no respect for the passing lane, and usually don't respond to headlight flashing. Ohio, on the other hand, is generally pretty good about moving right, and when you do run up behind someone in the left and flash your lights, they'll get over pretty quickly. Of course you always have that one clueless driver that you end up having to pass on the right, but it's not the rule in Ohio. In Atlanta, fuggedabouit, and go around to the right.

On a different note (pun intended), I drive with my horn. When I moved to ATL, and was always honking at people who weren't paying attention, it mortified my girlfriend. She's say "What are doing?!?" and get embarrassed. Nobody uses their horn here, and it actually startles people when you honk at them. Whatever boneheaded thing they are doing tends to get corrected quickly, vs say New England, where so many people are honking, it loses all impact. It's nice.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

That's a good idea, of course people have to drive in the left lane during rush hourS, but that's the only way people will stop using the left lane as a driving lane. Madrid has horrendous traffic during rush hours and everyone uses the left lane but once the traffic is light, no one drives in that lane.

The problem here is that everyone thinks they own that lane, and some people just use it as an excuse to bully other drivers. Those that whine and complain are not the ones moving to the middle lane once they are done passing. As long as people drive in that lane the wrong message is being sent. Keep it empty, ticket people and the problem will be solved.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's a good idea, of course people have to drive in the left lane during rush hourS, but that's the only way people will stop using the left lane as a driving lane. Madrid has horrendous traffic during rush hours and everyone uses the left lane but once the traffic is light, no one drives in that lane.

The problem here is that everyone thinks they own that lane, and some people just use it as an excuse to bully other drivers. Those that whine and complain are not the ones moving to the middle lane once they are done passing. As long as people drive in that lane the wrong message is being sent. Keep it empty, ticket people and the problem will be solved.
are you now on board with left lane = passing lane now?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
are you now on board with left lane = passing lane now?
Was so dubious about it? Of course, IF the laws are changed. But those are not the laws right now. We have low speed limits and there are no road signs that state the left lane is for passing only(slower traffic signs are too vague), so policemen can't ticket drivers for driving on that lane. Of course the speed limits would have go be raised a little but in the meantime we can't go around tailgating people for abiding the law. Whether we like or not there are plenty of people who are not familiar with places where the left lane is used for passing ONLY Nowhere in the Floridas driving manual says that, just that faster traffic should go on that lane. Wheather we agree with them or not, the current laws doesn't say that

and like I said before, I only use it for passing, but if I get a rude idiot behind me who can't wait 10 seconds Till Im done passing, I'll block them. People need to use common sense, if traffic is going slower in the middle lane at least wait until the car in front of you has enough space to move to the middle. Also if there is a car in front of me, how can you expect me go faster? Many people are so self absorbed that they don't bother to figure out why the car in front of them is going at a certain speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida