Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times

Advertisements

I have had two friends in the Broward General Hospital fort lauderdale in the last few weeks and the care could not be worse. It is true they have a lot of equipment and can handle almost anything but in general if you are in there you are on your own. You could lay there and die before one of the people on the floor came in. Heck, most look like fresh out of school children instead of hospital personal. And a small amount of communication with them confirms your worst fears. Now my point. As we get older you begin to think about where you live, even if you are in good health. You become a little more afraid of the rural life. Many small towns have what seems like nice although small hospitals. I am wondering if you may not get better care in general in a small hospital setting? They may not be set up for everything but general care you may need from time to time, they could be good. Am I wrong, anyone have any experience? Is there a better chance you being more then just a number on a chart? I hope I have posed this important question in a way that makes sense. When you retire at a little older age these things come into play and can effect your decision on where to live. We all dream of the quiet small town life and health care can be one of the drawbacks and fears. Maybe you may get "Better" care and doctor relationships in small towns setting. I really look forward to peoples experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Infection control is an issue at a lot of big hospitals, but outside of that, the high volume large hospital kicks arse in almost every other way compared to the small/low volume hospital for good outcomes. In the end, a lot of it comes down to the more a doctor performs a procedure regularly, the better they are it. And why a number of states will specify that for complex specialty programs, minimal volumes must be maintained to keep certification for the program. A hospital Up North by my parents' house just got their heart transplant program permissions and one of the requirements for their initial accreditation period is that they must perform X number of heart transplants per year in order to keep accredidation.

And the smaller hospitals also often have smaller budgets with which to maintain standards of care. Around here, it's known that if you can all do so safely, you either make the drive to Pensacola for hospital care or use the satellite campus that one of the Pensacola hospitals has next county over. The small town local hospitals in my area have a terrible reputation for quality of case and standards of care. (and probably still would even if Rick Scott hadn't screwed them up but that's another story)

Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would call the argument a massive generalization. It also depends on the scope of one's illness. For a routine surgery, by all means a smaller community hospital is a great option. If one were in need of specialized care, intensive care or a broad availability of diagnostics,
not seeking a large teaching/research hospital is probably not the best idea.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
My husband was in a smaller hospital, acquired an infection, almost died, and incurred 3 surgeries to address the infection. All in all, 22 days of hospitalization and a visiting nurse upon coming home. The nurses were moderately attentive but I felt that it was my own due diligence that got him through his ordeal. On the other hand, if he was in a bigger city hospital, he might have been sent home the day after surgery and we might have not recognized the infection at home and he might have died. Six of one/half a dozen of another.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
My husband was in a smaller hospital, acquired an infection, almost died, and incurred 3 surgeries to address the infection. All in all, 22 days of hospitalization and a visiting nurse upon coming home. The nurses were moderately attentive but I felt that it was my own due diligence that got him through his ordeal. On the other hand, if he was in a bigger city hospital, he might have been sent home the day after surgery and we might have not recognized the infection at home and he might have died. Six of one/half a dozen of another.
I don't really want to take sides since I asked the question. However, I think the big city hospital may give the illusion of being better but they are just too busy to give the close attention someone may need. My recent experience with Broward General in Fort Lauderdale was scary. Years ago they had visiting hours and people had to leave. I got the impression they wanted family members to be there as often as they could to in effect take the place of a nurse. Where ever you looked there were family members taking care of the family member who was in the room. Bringing food, changing bedding, bringing drinks, helping people with bathroom issues and so on. I know I would be scared to death to leave a family member there by themselves in Broward General. I once had food poisoning and went to Los Olas hospital. It was bad, I was there for three days. I felt like I at fine hotel they were so attentive. This was a very small hospital 100 bed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida