Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times

Advertisements

Those are just harmless love bugs.

Heck when I lived in Manhattan, the cockroaches were formidable insects - nothing would kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
This is the paradise that everyone raved about.. Taken in Naples Florida the day I moved away!
]
BYE BYE!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The bugs don't bother me, they are just love bugs. It would bother me more to see a code inspector at the door, you can't spray those away.

Well yes you can but the consequences will be somewhat different than spraying regular insects

Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM

51 posts, read 245,961 times
Please see attached picture of cicadas in the backyard of my parents home in Kentucky in summer of 2004 as well as a picture reminder of what to look forward to this coming winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Here's the paradise I heard so much about?-cicada1.jpg   Here's the paradise I heard so much about?-cicada4.jpg   Here's the paradise I heard so much about?-wrecked_i30.jpg  

Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
Birds don't eat Lovebugs-nothing does they taste like acid.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Those are just harmless love bugs.

Heck when I lived in Manhattan, the cockroaches were formidable insects - nothing would kill them.
We have bigger roaches called Palmetto Bugs in Florida and they can fly around........so there....lol........lets play the "see if i can top that game" which New Yorkers love to play........and cicadas can cause accidents on the roadways....they will cover your car while driving because they are attracted to the noise of the engine....and alot of cars in Nashville had thier windshields covered on I-65 and had to pull over so they could leave the windshield and be able to see....i like how people from NYC always try to out do someone else.....that is funny....i guess you would say NYC has the "biggest" roaches and "rats" and "alligators" that are bigger and more dangerous than anywhere right?.....lol

Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,401 times
In Nashville during cicada season they pile up along side of the road like leaves. No thanks, I'll take the 2 weeks of love bugs any day.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Doesn't anyone have cicadas in Florida anymore? I have them here from time to time.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times
they don't come frrom time to time....they arent everywhere.....and they only hatch every 13 - 15 years.....so how could they be in Florida from time to time?.........they come in swarms like locusts too......there is no way that you only have a "few" in your neighborhood...when they come they will be all over your general area.....they were everywhere in Nashville when they had em back in 1997.....i have lived in Florida most of my life in N, S, and C Florida and never heard of them till i went to Nashville

Old 07-11-2007, 08:37 AM

41 posts, read 371,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
Birds don't eat Lovebugs-nothing does they taste like acid.

Predators Reduce Lovebug Flights
During the past several years, both the April-May and August-September lovebug flights have been substantially reduced in North Central Florida. This reduction in the population is partly attributed to predators. Larvae aggregate in extremely high numbers in pastures and other grassy habitats. This makes them vulnerable to foraging birds. Lovebug larvae have been found in the gizzards of robins and quail. Although examinations of the stomach contents of armadillos have been negative, observations suggest that they, too, may be excellent predators of the larvae.

Laboratory studies using invertebrate predators found in lovebug infested pastures indicated they were voracious predators too. These included earwigs, two species of beetle larvae and a centipede.

There are several things that can be done to lessen the problem facing motorists. By traveling at night motorists can avoid the insects; lovebugs reach peak activity at 10:00 am and stop flying at dusk. Traveling at slower speeds will reduce the number of bugs that will be spattered. A large screen placed in the front of the grill will keep the radiator fins from clogging, and will protect the finish on the front of the car. If a large screen is not used in front of the grill, at least place a small screen behind the grill in front of the radiator.

Spattered bugs should be washed off the car as soon as possible. Lovebugs are more easily removed, and the chance of damaging the car's finish is lessened if the car has been waxed recently. When the remains are left on an unwaxed car for several days, the finish will often be permanently damaged. Soaking for several minutes with water aids in their removal. When lovebugs are numerous, some motorists spread a light film of baby oil over the front of the hood, above the windshield and on the grill and bumper. This practice will make their removal a simpler task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida