Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,876 times

Advertisements

I have to make a decision to attend college in Miami or Tampa. Both schools are virtually the same, so really it's only a matter of choosing a city.

I grew up in Honolulu so I LOVE the warm beach weather. I'm white, but i'm practically fluent in spanish, so the heavy spanish culture isn't a concern to me (: I love learning different cultures and art.

If you guys could give me opinions as to which city I should spend the next four years I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Chelsea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
Miami is you got money and are younger. Tampa if you are older and like a smaller city. Since you are from HI, you would like Miami

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Miami is you got money and are younger. Tampa if you are older and like a smaller city. Since you are from HI, you would like Miami
Wow, that is so stereotypical and so not true.

Tampa's average age of population is 34.7, significantly less than Miami's average population age of 38. Both are coastal cities. Miami's population is 433,000. Tampa's is 303,000. It's not a huge difference. The difference is money/elitism. Miami's club scene is based on looks/prestige and whoever is the biggest hip-hop wannabe. Tampa's is far less prestige oriented and more approachable for most. If I were going to school I would opt for Tampa. Miami is best left for vacations.

Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 43,961 times
Miami-Dade is chock full of immigrants, illegal and legal, and most of those immigrants do not speak english and do not respect US culture. Cubans are a good example. However, I am in the same situation and looking at Fort Lauderdale area or Tampa. I am 100% born, reared American but a resident of Brazil and travel there monthly for work so being near MIA would be cool with me. Tampa seems better to live. Miami has a lot of Posers and Wanna Bes like L.A. area, Hollywood ( Calif. ).

Best of luck which ever you decide.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
If your coming from Honolulu, I wouldn't advise ANY of the cities you listed for college. Tampa and Miami are RAMPANT with criminals and crime. If you want to do drugs and get shot, then yeah, Tampa & Miami are perfect. But if your looking for a safe stable enviroment remiscent of Hawaii, you better go to FAU in Boca Raton. Boca is a very upscale and classy city but most importantly, it's safe. You won't experience much culture shock going there from Hawaii.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Don't believe the above poster. I can't speak for Miami, but Tampa's crime is in check and largely confined to certain neighborhoods, none of which you can't avoid.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Unless you plan on living in the ghettos Miami is not dangerous either.
What are the two schools? Because location of the school can be important too.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,642,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rowe View Post
Miami-Dade is chock full of immigrants, illegal and legal, and most of those immigrants do not speak english and do not respect US culture. Cubans are a good example. However, I am in the same situation and looking at Fort Lauderdale area or Tampa. I am 100% born, reared American but a resident of Brazil and travel there monthly for work so being near MIA would be cool with me. Tampa seems better to live. Miami has a lot of Posers and Wanna Bes like L.A. area, Hollywood ( Calif. ).

Best of luck which ever you decide.
Do you have any problem with cubans? Let me say you something about the cubans. Miami before 1959 was an sleeping city and Miami Beach mainly for older people and retirees. After 1959 when the first waves of cban inmigrants Miami started to develop more and more. What Miami has to offer today to USA and the rest of the World is thanks to the cuban community and subsecuently the following waves of inmigrants from many other countries in the World like south americans, central americans , caribbean and even european people. I am not cuban, but Ihave to recognize that they are very respectful people in general with class and good maners, and very hard working. I do not think that they disrespect the
"US culture" as you said.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,455 times
Hmm im in the procss of choosing between Tampa and Ft. lauderdale. I wouldnt dare live in Dade

Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenetherlands View Post
I have to make a decision to attend college in Miami or Tampa. Both schools are virtually the same, so really it's only a matter of choosing a city.

I grew up in Honolulu so I LOVE the warm beach weather. I'm white, but i'm practically fluent in spanish, so the heavy spanish culture isn't a concern to me (: I love learning different cultures and art.

If you guys could give me opinions as to which city I should spend the next four years I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Chelsea
I'd quickly choose South Florida, if it were me. Especially if you are familiar with Honolulu, and moreso if you practically speak fluent Spanish. Even moreso if you are interested in learning different cultures and art.

Tampa is nice too....and I'm white too...but it's predominately white, with nowhere near the amount of various cultures of South Florida - when I think of Tampa, I mostly think of Midwesterners who moved down for sunshine, and I think of some Northeasterners, and I think of Southerners. All mostly from the caucasian populations.

Whereas with South FLorida, not just Cubans are there, but all kinds of interesting Latino nationalities, Carribbean nationalities, Brazilians, Europeans, Jewish, and even various African from Africa as well. If you are into that stuff, and it sounds like you, and I am too, than South Florida is certainly the more interesting place. (I'm using South Florida as it includes not only Miami-Dade, but also Broward Couty - i.e. Fort Lauderdale and surroundings).

If you are NOT into that stuff..and it seems like a lot of Floridians are NOT into other cultures at all, than Tampa would be the better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida