Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times

Advertisements

I was just checking the weather channel, National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report , as I LOVE the unusually cold temps. Was checking temps all over the state when I saw Crestview, in the Fla Panhandle, is expecting SNOW this morning into Tue day. Although cold temps, esp. in North Fla/the Panhandle, are not that unusual, snow definitely is. I can't imagine what a mess the roads will be today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Hate to break it to you, but the sky is clear and the roads are dry right now. Generally the Alberta clippers that make it down here result in so little moisture in the air that snow's pretty much impossible. (Happened once in the 12 years we've been here even though we'll get a couple nights of sub-freezing weather every year)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
It snows every now and then in Florida.....even as far down as Orlando.
The problem isn't so much the roads (even though it is a problem), but the loss of power when frozen limbs damage utility lines. People without fireplaces or any other alternative heat source....have to find other places to stay.

A couple of decades ago, I was living in the Gainesville, FL area and we had quite a bit of snow.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It snows every now and then in Florida.....even as far down as Orlando.
The problem isn't so much the roads (even though it is a problem), but the loss of power when frozen limbs damage utility lines. People without fireplaces or any other alternative heat source....have to find other places to stay.

A couple of decades ago, I was living in the Gainesville, FL area and we had quite a bit of snow.
That was in 89.
I had just moved to Ocala, and was driving to Mo for Christmas(it was Christmas Eve). I still had chains for my car, it still took me 5 hours to make it to the Ga-Fl state line, and cars were crashing everywhere, what a mess!
It also snowed in Ocala last year, believe it was January?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
I'll trade you Floridians for your cold but sunny days and the slight chance of a rare flurry for the 2 feet of snow in my Cleveland, Ohio suburb. I was watching the Browns-Dolphins game Sunday and watching the snow fly outside, and was wishing I was there instead of here. We had a very warm Summer this past year, and I miss it terribly! Then again, the snow on my Christmas lights does add to the festivity of the season. On the other hand, I've been to Florida around Christmas time, and it was cool seeing all of the tropical plants decorated too. Plus, I liked the idea of being out in my great-aunt's backyard in Hollywood on Christmas morning with no shirt on because it was 75 degrees.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
^^^It's the "grass is always greener" thing.

Oh wait, you live in Cleveland... yeah, it is better in FL, lol!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
I'm in the Daytona area and it is very cold right now, but I have been hearing all along that this front has very little moisture associated with it. You never know though. We just had some last year, January! This winter seems to be starting out about the same here as last too.

Nancy

Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Honestly, as bad as this sounds, I think this winter will be worse than last year. I know that is saying a lot, but here in TN it is definitely colder than last year, already, and I believe that Florida is the same, so far. It got brutal for you all, too, but not that bad until January, I think.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
It's currently 23 here in Atlanta. It's been low 20s to high 30s for 4 days now, and next Monday the low is going to be 14 with a high of 29 with a 'possibility' of flurries. If we ain't gettin some, you guys down there ain't gettin any either! Bwahaha

This is the earliest heavy cold I can ever remember. Last winter was COLD, but it didn't start until the 1st or 2nd week of January. Record cold winter last year into record hot summer this year back into a record cold winter...what they hey is going on?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Right now it is 33.8 °F here in Fernandina, it will probably get colder before the sun comes up.

I am not about to predict what the weather is going to do this winter, I'm just glad I got one last batch of pesto made before the weekend, and that I picked all my Meyers lemons, too.

And now I am off to swim in the community (heated!) pool.
No black ice to worry about, or sidewalks to shovel. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida