Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

By now, you would think that people would understand that Florida is NOT a job mecca, this is, and always has been, mainly a retiree and tourist state. Anyone wanting to come here and live in a coastal town is not likely to get a great paying job, the businesses aren't there.

There ARE some decent jobs to be had in the central Florida corridor - Tampa-Lakeland-Orlando. Central Florida (Polk County in particular) has a great cost of living in terms of real estate, taxes and hoi. There are jobs here due to the many large companies with distribution warehouse space. And Tampa and Orlando have more professional jobs available. Maybe they don't pay what they pay up north, but it doesn't cost what it does up north, either, unless you insist on living in that coastal town.

Folks, decide what is important to you - look at the big picture. It IS possible to live well here in Florida, even if you are just the working class and not wealthy retirees. But maybe you have to live inland and not on the beach. I am a native and wouldn't live near the beach, anyway - it's foolish, you can be washed away and it doesn't even take a hurricane to do that. It is also more humid near the water, and the salty air is destructive to everything.

The important thing here is to do plenty of research before coming here - if you have good knowledge of what you are getting into, there will be far less disappointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 AM

128 posts, read 272,010 times
check our edgewater and new symrna beach very nice living and some desent jobs avalible.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOM View Post
check our edgewater and new symrna beach very nice living and some desent jobs avalible.
Both of those places don't have the best of schools... Port Orange schools are much better (not an issue if they don't have kids). New Smyrna has some really seedy areas too. Edgewater is like in the middle of nothing. It's barren and boring. And you have to drive to Daytona to do things or do any real shopping.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 50,479 times
Thankyou so much but I think we are staying here somewhere. It's so confusing but we are looking at other places in NY for now. We are afraid to lose the salary and the job benefits, etc.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 42,469 times
I think you are doing a smart thing buy staying in NY. Florida right now has alot of problems to straighten out with HOI and property taxes so it will be affordable again.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,930 times
RedWingsFan,
What area of Nevada did you move from? I currently live in Fallon Nevada and we are preparing to move to PO soon.
Thanks,
Jill

Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoYOURdo View Post
RedWingsFan,
What area of Nevada did you move from? I currently live in Fallon Nevada and we are preparing to move to PO soon.
Thanks,
Jill
Spent almost 10 years in Las Vegas....

What's bringing you to Port Orange?

Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 PM

23 posts, read 73,088 times
We are also thinking of Port Orange as a place to reside. Myself my elderly mother and nineteen year old daughter are moving from RI. I work in RE here but it is just as bad to make aliving here in RE as it is there. I have managed a store and can do many other things but i don't know where to start. We also considered Melbourne. I probably will have to work in a store(not my preference) and my daughter can waitress. We are driving down on October 15th to look at furnished apts or homes. any suggestions?

Debbie in RI

Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,704 times
Default Dont want to rent

Where are nice mobile homes in Port Orange or Ormond? I refuse to live in Daytona.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 62,452 times
There are a LOT of mobile and manufactured home parks in Port Orange. Most of them are senior communities though. I think there are only 3 or 4 that will allow families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida