Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM

18 posts, read 204,300 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just read in a book that conch shells bring good luck, but that it is bad luck to bring them inside your house. Which might explain the times that I've seen them in rock gardens and landscaping. I don't really consider myself a superstitious person, but.....I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, the conch shells that I have seen are white with the pinkish/salmon color inside, are there other colors too?? I have some that are shaped the same as a conch, but they are not white. They are a variety of colors with really cool color banding.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
See below for different color/shapes....

Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
They also make a nice horn! I have several in the yard, not sure how many, but friends always seemed to give them to me. Nice decorations, although supposed to be illegal to harvest.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Wow, I'm guess I should move some shells outside....

Those are similar to the colors that I have. I wondered if they were legal. The only ones that I have "found", and none are larger than small fist size, were here in Illinois in a mixed bag of shells at an import type store.

Oh, I did see a man selling them from a rather unseaworthy looking small boat in the Bahamas, that was a little over a year ago....they were HUGE by the way, and looked pure white at a distance....but, I didn't buy any....

Thanks for the info!!!

Last edited by justme1702; 07-12-2007 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,680 times
I have several that we picked ourselves in The Bahamas (it's not illegal to harvest them in that country as long as they are mature (have a complete formed lip.) It also is not illegal to bring them into the USA.
It is illegal to try to remove any type of coral out of that country.

We have several conch shells indoors and have not considered them to be unlucky at all. Mine are very bright pink inside.

We sure enjoyed eating the conch (its a snail), it is so good cut up with onions, green peppers and tomato with a sour orange squeezed over it, add some hot goat pepper and sea salt and you have a very nice tasty snack.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Wow, that sounds GOOD!! I've only ever tried it once, and it was a chowder.
It was very good too!!

Wondering how big they need to be to use as a horn.....seems these small ones aren't working for that...hehehe...but, what the heck.....I tried!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Lightbulb Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1702 View Post
Wow, that sounds GOOD!! I've only ever tried it once, and it was a chowder.
It was very good too!!

Wondering how big they need to be to use as a horn.....seems these small ones aren't working for that...hehehe...but, what the heck.....I tried!!!!!!
Conch Ceviche
Ingredients:
1 lb. frozen* conch steak, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. red bell pepper, 1/4 inch diced
3 Tbsp. green bell pepper, 1/4 inch diced
3 Tbsp. yellow bell pepper, 1/4 inch diced
4 Tbsp. red onion, 1/4 inch diced
I scallion, 1/4 inch diced
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. scotch bonnet pepper
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground white pepper
3 Tbsp. olive oil

Method.
Combine all of the above ingredients in a mixing bowl and let marinate for a minimum of 3 hours. Divide onto 4 plates and garnish with lime wedges and a sprig of cilantro.

*note: the conch steak is much easier to slice when it is frozen.

Crispy Pan Fried Conch with Citrus Sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Yield: 4 servings

1/2 cup spiced rum
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Key Lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
2 pieces conch, 1/2 per person Flour, for dusting
1 egg, beaten with 3 tablespoons water, for egg wash
Bread crumbs
Olive Oil, for pan frying

Combine spiced rum, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and sugar and reduce on high heat until syrupy. Keep warm. Dip the conch in flour, then egg wash, then in bread crumbs. Cook on medium heat in olive oil until golden. Serve with citrus sauce and garnish with cilantro and fresh flowers if available.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,680 times
Sunrico's recipe sounds very upscale but I would never want to use frozen conch. It is the best out of the shell, washed in lemon juice and cut fresh.
The Bahamians say that if you eat the clear membrane from the shell it works as a natural aphrodisiac.

Here is an authentic Bahamian conch fritters recipe.

cups freshly bruised (beaten with mallet) conch, cleaned and diced
3 teaspoons tomato paste
1-1/2 Tablespoons flour
2 onions, diced
1 Bahamian sweet pepper, diced (red pepper)
2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 Tablespoons baking powder
3-4 cups vegetable oil
Hot Peppers and salt to taste

Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl. Blend well.

Heat oil in deep frying pan or pot until water dropped into oil sizzles.

Drop batter by the Tablespoonful into hot oil. Fry until brown.

Very nice served with a sauce made out of Crystal hot sauce (Bahamian) but you can use any other hot sauce blended with mayonnaise.

Very yummy and a Bahamian favorite.

If you are ever in Nassau, you must go to the Fish fry (Arawak Cay) and have a conch salad made at either Goldies or Foxy's they are the greatest!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 AM

Both recipes sound just wonderful!!! I'll have to check around for availability, I will most likely have to try the St. Louis area, and would be very surprised to find fresh. If I can't find it, can you think of anything that might be a substitute. I know that substitutes aren't ever as good as the real thing, but sometimes you can end up with a versatile recipe that gives a great taste even with a substitute.

Thanks for the tip regarding Nassau!! I hope to go back someday, as we were only there for one day, so we didn't get to see or do a lot.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Mmm--I've had conch before, it can be tasty.
I would never ever take a live conch--but now I hear it is also illegal to take a dead, empty one? Or is that just the Queen conch?
I found a couple huge conchs over at Cape San Blas--they were more a sandy color, though one is blue-grey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: