Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times

Advertisements

Sure, there are landlords that suck! There are parents that suck, children that suck, governments that suck - LOTS of people suck!

But, that's not germane to this thread. This thread is about the benefits/pitfalls of renting to folks with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
I find it funny how people who don't like kids always seem to conveniently forget that everyone was once a kid, including themselves.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Unethical and illegal ? Ethnicity, race, gender, age and physical challenges will be a great way to end up with a lawsuit. I have seen alot of fires and to say you won't rent to kids will cost alot more in the long run. Would you like to know the number of fires in the state that have been set by landlords/investors this year. Greed is wild in Florida. When kids set a fire its from curiosity, Thats a long way from malicious intent.

Last edited by firemed; 07-13-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It is almost all I have ever done. I have owed several business but my father owned a lot of property and it is what I grew up with. If you are familiar with Fort Lauderdale at one time my dad owned almost everything along Andrews ave. from 17 st. to state road 84. I still own some property my dad bought in the 50's. I have liquidated most though, but I speak from experience. Although most of what I have owned was commercial I have owned a few duplexes and single family homes and had very few problems over the years because I was very careful.
Now I get it !!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Now I get it !!
Years ago I read a Peanuts comic strip that I never forgot.

In the first picture you see all the kids running out of their houses and converging. They are all shouting and screaming how exciting the game they just watched on TV was. "It was so exciting they won with just seconds to go". "Yea, they were so happy the winning team was jumping up and down and hugging each other, the crowd was going crazy". Then Lucy says, "How did the other team feel"? They all get quiet and are looking at her.

Sometimes you need another perspective.

My original point with my first post was my knee jerk reaction to identify with the owner of the house that was just burnt. How he must feel to learn someone just took a lighter and burnt it up. Thats his reward for providing a place for this family to live. I have no interest in apologizing for my comments or opinions.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

In the first picture you see all the kids running out of their houses and converging. They are all shouting and screaming how exciting the game they just watched on TV was. "It was so exciting they won with just seconds to go". "Yea, they were so happy the winning team was jumping up and down and hugging each other, the crowd was going crazy". Then Lucy says, "How did the other team feel"? They all get quiet and are looking at her.

My original point with my first post was my knee jerk reaction to identify with the owner of the house that was just burnt. How he must feel to learn someone just took a lighter and burnt it up. Thats his reward for providing a place for this family to live. I have no interest in apologizing for my comments or opinions.
Rent is his reward for providing a place for this family to live. WOW !

Last edited by firemed; 07-13-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Rent is his reward for providing a place for this family to live. WOW !
So you are saying for the rent they pay they also have a right to burn down his house? You have to do better then that. You don't have to agree with me but you need some kind of point other then to just disagree. Providing a place for someone to live and raise a family is a very nobel thing. Starting a business, meeting a payroll, employing people and providing them a means to make a living and pay their bills is also a nobel thing.

Landlords, business owners, employers, are easy to knock, especially by the do nothings who may have never created a thing in their lives and could never even imagine the satisfaction of writing a paycheck and knowing it puts food on someone's table. Meeting a payroll is one of the noblest things a man can do, providing good clean housing is another. I am afraid I am not being original though, I have to admit I am parroting my father who came to this country through Ellis island with nothing. That may be what is wrong with people today in this country, most have forgotten their immigrant roots, they think everything is an entitlement, it's not

Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
So you are saying for the rent they pay they also have a right to burn down his house? You have to do better then that. You don't have to agree with me but you need some kind of point other then to just disagree. Providing a place for someone to live and raise a family is a very nobel thing. Starting a business, meeting a payroll, employing people and providing them a means to make a living and pay their bills is also a nobel thing.

Landlords, business owners, employers, are easy to knock, especially by the do nothings who may have never created a thing in their lives and could never even imagine the satisfaction of writing a paycheck and knowing it puts food on someone's table. Meeting a payroll is one of the noblest things a man can do, providing good clean housing is another. I am afraid I am not being original though, I have to admit I am parroting my father who came to this country through Ellis island with nothing. That may be what is wrong with people today in this country, most have forgotten their immigrant roots, they think everything is an entitlement, it's not
My great great Grandfather came to this country with nothing. Providing food is something I know alot about(do you eat beef ?). My satisfaction is helping people. Writing a paycheck for my workers is just that, Pay for work I don't find it noble, just humane. Don't confuse business with charity unless you provide those homes for free. Insurance will cover fire damage. Its no different than a car accident. And the key word is ACCIDENT not MALICIOUS. But you are right some people think everything is an entitlenent.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Quote:

I totally understand with you having compassion for the owner of any house that gets destroyed by irresponsible and uncaring tenants.

It is your opinion that basically...to rent to people with children is stupid and not worth it (not your words, but kinda what I took for it). I wouldn't ask you to apologize for your opinion...everyone is entitled to one.

But as that is true, then so am I entitled to have one. I think that by saying that a person "shouldn't" rent to children because of all the hassles and problems and so on...is really not a fair and accurate view. Once again, I need to restate that overall, it is the adults who must take over the responsibility for what a child does, as children are minors, and if the adult does not take that responsibility...the adult is the one to be blamed and sued. Like I have said from my experience as a renter, as well as having had friends who were renters and getting to visit them...the only problems I have witnessed (dogs crapping all over the place, apartments getting trashed, damaged, little kitchen fires, all kinds of noise complaints....) have been from only ADULT tenants.

It all stems from doing research. Too many landlords don't want to pick and choose too much because they want their money. But if they did their many background checks, called all kinds of references....they would pick the right tenant, family or not.

Right now where I am at, it is expensive to rent at. There are townhouses that have way more people then allowed for the community in one house, but they do it to afford it....and I know right now of 5 townhouses in here, occupied by ONLY adults, that have had the police called on them, that sit outside with their beers and unleashed dogs...that disobey rules of parking on the street and the grass, that have trash all outside the house...no children are in these houses and I guarentee that when they leave...the landlords are not going to be happy. And these are from adults.

Also, in my opinion, a landlord doesn't receive a "reward" for allowing people to live there. He isn't doing anyone a favor. It isn't for free. Usually, they don't give bad credit people a "chance". It is his job. He receives an income from these people.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
My great great Grandfather came to this country with nothing. Providing food is something I know alot about(do you eat beef ?). My satisfaction is helping people. Writing a paycheck for my workers is just that, Pay for work I don't find it noble, just humane. Don't confuse business with charity unless you provide those homes for free. Insurance will cover fire damage. Its no different than a car accident. And the key word is ACCIDENT not MALICIOUS. But you are right some people think everything is an entitlenent.
I feel sad for you. When you create a business that wasn't there before, create jobs that weren't there before, create something that benefits many people including yourself In some cases teach someone a profession that can benefit them the rest of their lives, you get no satisfaction from it? Your relationship to your employes is nothing more then an exchange of labor for money, I am sad for you, you just don't get it. By the way, no I don't eat beef I have been a vegetarian for about 40 years so is my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida