Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed it down to these two areas for the move. From my trip:

Tampa:
--Tampa/St. Pete seemed to have more charm, less cookie cutter feel, and more of a down to earth feel
--I'm assuming it would be cheaper to live there.

So. Fla:
--my friend in Boca says that South Fla. has a much better job market than other parts of Fla.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I've narrowed it down to these two areas for the move. From my trip:

Tampa:
--Tampa/St. Pete seemed to have more charm, less cookie cutter feel, and more of a down to earth feel
--I'm assuming it would be cheaper to live there.

So. Fla:
--my friend in Boca says that South Fla. has a much better job market than other parts of Fla.

Any opinions?
Wow. It just totally depends. If you are looking for a more liberal area, go with So. Fla. If you are looking for more laid back people, go to Tampa. The job market sucks in both areas, but So Fla is a little better, and not really significantly more expensive to rent in than Tampa.

For crime, if you were to pick Broward County or Boca area versus Hillsborough/ Pinellas County, I give Broward the edge, but both have safe areas to locate.

For jobs, I hesitantly say South Florida is better.

For Air Quality, South Florida without question. Tampa is Florida's most polluted city.

For friendliness, Tampa without question.

For traffic, Broward/south PBC is in a lot better shape than the Tampa area.

For charm/etc- Tampa without a doubt.

So Fla has a slightly less horrific summer because of the breeze, but they both suck during the summer. South Florida remains warmer during winter.

It's a close call. Both have their good and bad. I say go for wherever gives you the best career opportunity.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 PM

thanks FL--I didn't realize traffic was worse in Tampa (the most traffic I saw while I was down there was definitely in Orlando).

For hurricane risk, does it make any difference at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Wow. It just totally depends. If you are looking for a more liberal area, go with So. Fla. If you are looking for more laid back people, go to Tampa. The job market sucks in both areas, but So Fla is a little better, and not really significantly more expensive to rent in than Tampa.

For crime, if you were to pick Broward County or Boca area versus Hillsborough/ Pinellas County, I give Broward the edge, but both have safe areas to locate.

For jobs, I hesitantly say South Florida is better.

For Air Quality, South Florida without question. Tampa is Florida's most polluted city.

For friendliness, Tampa without question.

For traffic, Broward/south PBC is in a lot better shape than the Tampa area.

For charm/etc- Tampa without a doubt.

So Fla has a slightly less horrific summer because of the breeze, but they both suck during the summer. South Florida remains warmer during winter.

It's a close call. Both have their good and bad. I say go for wherever gives you the best career opportunity.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
thanks FL--I didn't realize traffic was worse in Tampa (the most traffic I saw while I was down there was definitely in Orlando).

For hurricane risk, does it make any difference at all?
To tell you the truth, Tampa probably has a higher change of receiving a hurricane, while So Fla has a higher chance of receiving a powerful one, but lower chance of receiving a high volume of hurricanes. You might want to keep in mind that the building code in structures built after Andrew here in Broward and Palm Beach County is some of the strongest in the country (required impact resistant glass and or shutters, barrel tile roofs, etc), while I am not sure about about Tampa, but know they are still using plywood on the second stories. Also, if you live in Pinellas, a very large amount of areas have to evacuate because it is a peninsula sticking out between the bay and the gulf. Orlando IS the worst for traffic, but Tampa/ St. Pete has a lot of congested side roads/ undersized highways, but the DOT is doing a lot to upgrade the infrastructure. You don't get many delays in Broward County (despite what people on here will tell you), but people seem to drive a lot better in Tampa (the drivers are SCARY here!).

So basically, for hurricanes, its a tossup, and for traffic, Broward/south Palm Beach are in better shape. Still, Tampa is more chill, and in a lot of ways I would pick it over Broward/south PBC if you can land a job there. Job market sucks in both places, but Tampa was recently named the WORST city in America for young professionals (Miami was one of the worst too, Fort Lauderdale was somewhere in the middle of the list). I would say to just go for whichever gives you the best job opportunities and where you can live most affordably for your income.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-14-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: really bad grammer

Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM

thanks again, FL, as always, you know your stuff...

honestly Tampa wasn't even on my radar, but I decided to visit it on a whim while I was down there, and loved Ybor city & St. Pete, though I wouldn't actually live right in either of those areas. I think I would enjoy either Tamp or south Fla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
To tell you the truth, Tampa probably has a higher change of receiving a hurricane, while So Fla has a higher chance of receiving a powerful one, but lower chance of receiving a large amount of hurricanes. You might want to keep in mind that the building code in structures built after Andrew here in Broward and Palm Beach County is some of the strongest in the county (required impact resistant glass and or shutters, barrel tile roofs, etc), while I am not sure about about Tampa, but know they are still using plywood on the second stories. Also, if you live in Pinellas, a very large amount of areas have to evacuate because it is a peninsula sticking out between the bay and the gulf. Orlando IS the worst, but Tampa/ St. Pete has a lot of congested side roads/ undersized highways, but the DOT is doing a lot to upgrade the infrastructure. You don't get many delays in Broward County (despite what people on here will tell you), but people seem to drive a lot better in Tampa (the drivers are SCARY here!).

So basically, for hurricanes, its a tossup, and for traffic, Broward/south Palm Beach are in better shape. Still, Tampa is more chill, and in a lot of ways I would pick it over Broward/south PBC if you can land a job there. Job market sucks in both places, but Tampa was recently named the WORST city in America for young professionals (Miami was one of the worst too, Fort Lauderdale was somewhere in the middle of the list). I would say to just go for whichever gives you the best job opportunities and where you can live most affordably for your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida