Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
All the ones that aren't sitting around on their asses feeling sorry for themselves....
There's no shortage of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I know a good number of people down here with four year college degrees who wait tables because they make more than they would as a teacher with five years in the system. Which is not affluent, but more than enough to survive on and have a little left over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually there's a couple of holes in your argument, which is also subjective opinion lacking in fact.

People making $12 an hour "wiping tables" are most likely not working full time. I'll also bet they don't have health insurance. Someone making $12 an hour (or the more likely $8-$9) part-time isn't worrying about property taxes or mortgage rates because they don't own a home because they can't afford it, or lost it through foreclosure if they did have one. If they are renting, $1000 a month (or even $500 a month) will be a hardship at that income level. Lets not forget since mass transit is poor at best in this state, they need to have a car and all of the related expenses involved (payments, insurance, gas, maintenance). The state has a high unemployment rate for a reason. Having 4 or 5 overqualified people competing for a part-time job that pays less than $10 an hour doesn't say much for the economy IMO. Also perpetuating the myth of the ability to live in this state affordably isn't doing anyone any good.
Look guys, these folks are more than welcome to re-locate to the welfare capital of the country, Taxafornia.

News Headlines

http://api.ning.com/files/OEtlLybTG9...artwelfare.jpg

Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
All the ones that aren't sitting around on their asses feeling sorry for themselves....
That was my point, there are many of them....way more than each of these open jobs could accommodate. Feels good to be smugly employed I gather?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Look guys, these folks are more than welcome to re-locate to the welfare capital of the country, Taxafornia.

News Headlines

http://api.ning.com/files/OEtlLybTG9...artwelfare.jpg
Another smug response form someone who obviously is still working and feels most of those that are unemployed either somehow deserve it or are too lazy to find something else. I can only hope at some point justice is served and those of your ilk get to experience what it's like in the real world.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually there's a couple of holes in your argument, which is also subjective opinion lacking in fact.

People making $12 an hour "wiping tables" are most likely not working full time. I'll also bet they don't have health insurance. Someone making $12 an hour (or the more likely $8-$9) part-time isn't worrying about property taxes or mortgage rates because they don't own a home because they can't afford it, or lost it through foreclosure if they did have one. If they are renting, $1000 a month (or even $500 a month) will be a hardship at that income level. Lets not forget since mass transit is poor at best in this state, they need to have a car and all of the related expenses involved (payments, insurance, gas, maintenance). The state has a high unemployment rate for a reason. Having 4 or 5 overqualified people competing for a part-time job that pays less than $10 an hour doesn't say much for the economy IMO. Also perpetuating the myth of the ability to live in this state affordably isn't doing anyone any good.
No they don't have health insurance, don't get 40 hours a week and many are getting food stamps. Talked to a few servers( I guess he meant "waiting tables" because busboys aren't getting $12 an hour) and they we're just scraping by. One said "Thank God for the return of the snowbirds", because that is where the business is coming from.

And here are the lowest paying states in the nation for unemployment:

States that pay lowest unemployment insurance compensation

1. Mississippi ($230, 59 weeks)
  2. Arizona ($240, 72 weeks)
  3. Alabama ($255, 59 weeks)
  4. Tennessee ($275, 59 weeks)
  5. Florida ($275, 79 weeks)
FL is by no means the 5th cheapest state in the nation to live in. And not everyone gets the $275, that is the maximum.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
sounds pretty bad. They don't pay that much more out here, 10-12 starting for most factory jobs, I just was persistent to get the job I have where I make 18 per hour with only a $515 rent (all utilities paid) .. I'd like to move but I'm not gonna give up that wage with the easy work I have and low cost of living. Unemployment however is quite low out here.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
sounds pretty bad. They don't pay that much more out here, 10-12 starting for most factory jobs, I just was persistent to get the job I have where I make 18 per hour with only a $515 rent (all utilities paid) .. I'd like to move but I'm not gonna give up that wage with the easy work I have and low cost of living. Unemployment however is quite low out here.
You have a pretty sweet deal in this time of economic difficulties, and would urge you to hang onto your current job.

It's crazy that people want to move to Florida in droves with such expectations for finding work. I post frequently on the "General US" forum where people ask about where to move. I consistently copy and paste this link to point out where they should be looking. (Florida isn't one of the places)

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Moving anyplace with an unemployment rate over 8% without a job lined up first IMO is economic suicide. Notice the states that makeup the top slots. North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Wisconsin, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and Texas. Texas is the only state in the Sunbelt with a low unemployment rate, otherwise it's the Plains States or Upper New England.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Quote:
Stay where you are. I whish to stay in your position. You must feel great of living in a recession free state. To make 10-12 an hour here you must a MBA or a graduate degree. I have friends with Bachelor's degree and they're making $8 an hour and this is in MIAMI, the 4th most expensive city in the nation, where a rent in the ghetto can be expensive as $900 for a 1/1 filthy apartment. In Florida, there're are around 400 applicants for every position open and in Miami is over 600 applicants.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
South Dakota pays $24 a week more than FL, now that is not much but when you figure in your cheaper COL it does help.

The new FL governor is also looking at "cracking down" on the unemployed and making them do community service after collecting for 12 weeks.

This is the same state that is putting WiFi in public housing and giving tenants free laptops.

Yet those who were laid off through no fault of their own are looking at community service. But there also supposed to spend more time looking for work....LOL.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Stay where you are. I whish to stay in your position. You must feel great of living in a recession free state. To make 10-12 an hour here you must a MBA or a graduate degree. I have friends with Bachelor's degree and they're making $8 an hour and this is in MIAMI, the 4th most expensive city in the nation, where a rent in the ghetto can be expensive as $900 for a 1/1 filthy apartment. In Florida, there're are around 400 applicants for every position open and in Miami is over 600 applicants.
Not to mention the fact that you probably have to be bi-lingual to get a decent job there. What an insufferable crock THAT is.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida