Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 AM

106 posts, read 568,159 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
I live in New Jersey now for 20 years I will be moving to Florida later this year, I notice a lot of people complaining about Florida please come to NJ to see how is life here we have tolls everywhere higher taxes than Florida less quality of life beaches suck, so what if Florida pays higher insurance quality of life is what people look for please don't hate Florida it's a nice state and growing come to NJ and compare.
the flip side to no tolls is that the gas taxes are 20 cents a gallon higher, and you get to pump the gas yourself,they'll get you one way or another

Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
I was shocked that there was no toll on that causeway that goes to St. Petersburg. In New York/NJ they would probably charge at least $7 for that, no joke. I think there may have been a .50 toll on leaving St. Pete--big deal.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
Despite the Gloom and Doom, FL is not a horriable place to live. Sure it has its problems, as with any area with millions of people, but it has a lot of culture and lots to do with more everyday.
Aren't you planning to move to Tennessee? Didn't you just say in the Tennessee forum that you want to sell your house and "bail out" of Tennessee?

Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
I lived in NorthWest NJ for most of my life, raised my family there, I lived in G*ds country, there was and still is very little crime in the area, of course the home that I built in 1970 for $16,000 is now worth more like $350,000
and the taxes are well over $3,000 a year. Still I would take NJ over Fl. any day if I could afford to go back, which is next to impossible.

NJ in my opinion has great schools, some nice beaches (shore) and although the traffic is crazy, after I'm there a day or two I can keep up with the best of them. The people in NJ are friendly, higher paying jobs, and have some great colleges there.

Some of the best scenery is in NJ......I can stand on my daughters front yard and look into NY state, I can walk the Applacian Trail (spelling is wrong) I can see black bears walk through the yards. Sorry but Fl. to me is a wasteland,
sewer infested place and it get worst every day, but that's my thoughts
and I don't mean to offend anyone, we all have free choice of where to live
unfortunately I'm stuck here for awhile, but one day I will leave, drive North
and not look back. Those who love it here, G*ds speed, be happy and well
not everyone feels that same way.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I lived in NorthWest NJ for most of my life, raised my family there, I lived in G*ds country, there was and still is very little crime in the area, of course the home that I built in 1970 for $16,000 is now worth more like $350,000
and the taxes are well over $3,000 a year. Still I would take NJ over Fl. any day if I could afford to go back, which is next to impossible.

]
Did you live in Sussex County? That is a beautiful rural part of NJ. The school system is great in NJ, but the state as a whole just is not that wonderful to me except for parts of Bergen and Monmouth County.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:56 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times
The great schools depend on where you are. I am in Bergen County, and the taxes are outrageous. There are a few districts where I would consider sending my kids, but not the one I live in (Bergenfield). My kids were scholarshipped all the way with private schools. And the taxes are higher here than they are in the good school districts, but of course the housing costs somewhat less. Still overpriced.

I have a two bedroom cape with no garage on a 50 x 100 lot. taxes are "low" at $6500. That is not including insurance.

I looked into Santa Rosa, Escambia, and Oskaloosa counties. In general, the schools are much better that what is available to me. The housing is better, lower cost, and the taxes and insurance are much less than I pay now.

Unfortunately, due to divorce, I can't move with my kids - better life is not a compelling reason. So I am moving and leaving my youngest behind to survive senior year with his dad.

NJ is so openly corrupt that I seriously discourage anyone with a family from moving here unless they have a secure source of income and are prepared to adjust to a lower standard of living in general.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
The great schools depend on where you are. I am in Bergen County, and the taxes are outrageous. There are a few districts where I would consider sending my kids, but not the one I live in (Bergenfield). My kids were scholarshipped all the way with private schools. And the taxes are higher here than they are in the good school districts, but of course the housing costs somewhat less. Still overpriced.

I have a two bedroom cape with no garage on a 50 x 100 lot. taxes are "low" at $6500. That is not including insurance.

I looked into Santa Rosa, Escambia, and Oskaloosa counties. In general, the schools are much better that what is available to me. The housing is better, lower cost, and the taxes and insurance are much less than I pay now.

Unfortunately, due to divorce, I can't move with my kids - better life is not a compelling reason. So I am moving and leaving my youngest behind to survive senior year with his dad.

NJ is so openly corrupt that I seriously discourage anyone with a family from moving here unless they have a secure source of income and are prepared to adjust to a lower standard of living in general.
This just proves that the cost of living associated issues are present all throughout the United States, and in some places even worse. Just like any other state, if you have the money in Florida (and NJ), the sky is the limit!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default Sussex County

Yes, I was raised in Sussex Cty......went to the Farm and Horse Show in Branchville every year, and this year my two granddaughters will be in their first horse show in Branchville........Sussex Cty is the state's best kept secret
I love to ride the roads in the fall, nothing like it, to see leaves falling........
and the education system is great, 10 times better than what they call teaching down here in Fl.

As John Dever once sang.........take me home country rose to the place I belongggg...........

Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 PM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Yes, I was raised in Sussex Cty......went to the Farm and Horse Show in Branchville every year, and this year my two granddaughters will be in their first horse show in Branchville........Sussex Cty is the state's best kept secret
I love to ride the roads in the fall, nothing like it, to see leaves falling........
and the education system is great, 10 times better than what they call teaching down here in Fl.

As John Dever once sang.........take me home country rose to the place I belongggg...........
Please remember that generalizations about Florida also should include NW Florida. People tend to forget about the North Western part and in that area they have a good education system. Check out Okaloosa county specificially. Honestly, Songbird43 the bottom line is nothing is wrong with Florida except to you, it's not NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida