Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 12,602 times

Advertisements

I've driven through Florida a few times in the past 5 years and all I remember south of Miami was never ending strip mall communities and flat, flat agricultural fields further west toward the Everglades. I never thought I would want to live here (okay to visit) but now my husband is considering a job in Homestead as a Park Ranger for the National Park Service at a regional environmental education center. He's been trying to get into the system for years. We realize we'll likely have to live in an unsavory place just to get in the system and transfer to a better place when a position opens. Compared to other places we've considered recently (Sitka, AK; Fairbanks, AK; Rome, NY, etc) this one seems like I might be able to actually find a job. (I work in natural resources conservation). And we both speak Spanish, Portuguese and French. We've lived abroad and traveled all over Latin America and perhaps know what to expect from cultural differences better than the average American.

THAT SAID - Homestead sounds horrible from the posts I've read. Is there anywhere more enjoyable to live within commuting distance? Would commuting from Kendall to Homestead have less traffic headaches than commuting toward Miami? We like to flip houses, but we're also considering renting. We would think of staying 2 or 3 years max.

Anybody have any advice? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Depends on your salary. If I worked at the Everglades National park I would get a house west of Florida city. They are extremely expensive, but maybe now that the bubble is getting ready to burst you can get a deal. Crime is not a concern as long as you use common sense.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Rent, don't buy. Your chances for a loss are far greater than any profit you might make in a down market. One hurricane could cost you a $5,000 deductible plus the hassles of trying to get the house sellable within three years or less, in a market where people will want to leave rather than buy.

There is still some agricultural land in the area, especially off the U.S. 1 corridor. Look around the "Fruit and Spice Park" area.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 57,952 times
Default Sounds like a good opportunity !

I alsmost died laughing about your comment about "unsavory places" , but all of us have made decisions that were good for career!! gee I took a promotion to go to Little Rock ARKANSAS, then took an almost lateral move to Memphis, Tennessee a bit later ! talk about "unsavory places" ! Homestead is, well, Homestead ! there are better places to live for sure...but I did my time in Miami, but we lived in Coconut Grove good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iner View Post
I've driven through Florida a few times in the past 5 years and all I remember south of Miami was never ending strip mall communities and flat, flat agricultural fields further west toward the Everglades. I never thought I would want to live here (okay to visit) but now my husband is considering a job in Homestead as a Park Ranger for the National Park Service at a regional environmental education center. He's been trying to get into the system for years. We realize we'll likely have to live in an unsavory place just to get in the system and transfer to a better place when a position opens. Compared to other places we've considered recently (Sitka, AK; Fairbanks, AK; Rome, NY, etc) this one seems like I might be able to actually find a job. (I work in natural resources conservation). And we both speak Spanish, Portuguese and French. We've lived abroad and traveled all over Latin America and perhaps know what to expect from cultural differences better than the average American.

THAT SAID - Homestead sounds horrible from the posts I've read. Is there anywhere more enjoyable to live within commuting distance? Would commuting from Kendall to Homestead have less traffic headaches than commuting toward Miami? We like to flip houses, but we're also considering renting. We would think of staying 2 or 3 years max.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iner View Post

You COULD try living in Kendall on the Turnpike corridor. You are going the opposite way of the rush to Homestead, and Kendall is a decent, albeit congested area with plenty of ok places to rent.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 12,602 times
Thanks for the advice all. I had been thinking that renting was probably best as well, but was worried that there wasn't anywhere decent to live in the area. At least you didn't say run for the hills (which is where I am currently)...

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 57,928 times
My brother worked in Homestead for years and bought a home in Key Largo (before it became very expensive). It's a nice small town and you're surrounded by water. I'm not sure what the commute would be like now.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I built in Key Largo when it was affordable, and have traveled US-1 longer than I would like to admit. In that time I have had 18 close calls and ended up off the road one of those times. Now thanks to the Miami people and northeasterners the housing costs have gone up like a rocket along with the taxes, AND the quality of life is no longer the same. Most of my friends have moved away, and the newcommers are either retired or workaholics and never home. If I go to Miami it is 20 minutes from my house to Homestead, then another 30 mins down US-1 and 20 more to my parent's home. Sometimes the trip takes 2 hours, not a fun commute. Take my advice, live close to your job.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,161 times
I notice most of the people in other posts who claim they do not recommend living in Homestead, do not actually live there. Homestead has become quite congested, and it is growing rapidly, but those who claim the crime rate is at a ridiculous rate are not taking into account that these crime rates are due to the amount of Section 8 housing we have here. I live in Homestead, and although I gripe about it, I would recommend it to anyone. Housing is expensive, but no more expensive than in Kendall. I DO NOT RECOMMEND KENDELL at all. I lived there and found the people to be rude, the drive ANYWHERE to be stressful, and the crime to be very active. Homestead has some very nice areas to live such as Keys Gate, Villages of Homestead, the Redlands, and different areas around South Dade. The Redlands would be the best bet if moving to work at the National Park.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
yes Keys Gate is nice...east of US1 as well as the Redlands but that is pricey.
Homestead really isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida