Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 AM

32 posts, read 141,067 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to Florida. My family all lives in the Bradenton County, Port Charlotte/North Port.
Any input you can give me. I am moving because I miss my family so I am currently looking for employment in Sarasota. Any recommendations where to live in Sarasota. Any input is greatly appreciated I am travelling with a 19 year old. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,574,354 times
Sarasota is lovely. I like it along Fruitville Road. Lots of nice stores too

Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 AM

45 posts, read 174,228 times
Default Just left Sarasota - few jobs

I lived in Osprey for 7 months, a suburb just South of Sarasota, moved there to be near family in Venice. It was a quiet small town, good place to live and still be near the action. Unfortunately, the job market for my field wasn't so good and I'm so far in debt now I don't know how I'll ever get out from under it.

Take it from me - get a job before you move there!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,574,354 times
Kayak, it's tough out there. The pay scale needs to be adjusted big time down here. Alot of young people are moving down but need good paying jobs to survive. There aren't many either... My husband and I are both looking for a second job right now.
We own our own company but it's been slow. We hear this alot from so many people. So, ok we will do what we have to and just work hard and hopefully things will get better here. The economy is terrible right now, not just here, but in alot of places. I heard that the big factories in Michigan are trying to privatize the company so people loose their pensions...
We need a new Government!!!! Especially here in Florida.
Good luck to you, everything will work out.

Last edited by bamboosmom; 08-24-2006 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 AM

99 posts, read 308,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplistic007 View Post
I am planning to relocate to Florida. My family all lives in the Bradenton County, Port Charlotte/North Port.
Any input you can give me. I am moving because I miss my family so I am currently looking for employment in Sarasota. Any recommendations where to live in Sarasota. Any input is greatly appreciated I am travelling with a 19 year old. Thank you.

If you can stay with family, you can always find work in the service industry (waitressing, walmart, etc.). It not enough to live on but you can get by if you're living either rent-free or cheap rent. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:42 PM

I am actually in the professional field. I am not planning to move until I find a job. I actually got a call from Bausch & Lomb and several other companies which the pay was even better than I made in Massachusetts. Massachusetts is Taxachusetts so it cannot be worse than here. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
If you can stay with family, you can always find work in the service industry (waitressing, walmart, etc.).
No, I am actually planning to leave with a job and then buy a house. I will be renting for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Kayak, it's tough out there.
Thank you for the feedback. I am actually only planning to leave only if I find employment. Massachusetts is really tough to live. It is expensive, mortgage, taxes, you name it so I am thinking it cannot be worse than the 3rd most expensive state which is Mass. I am too young to retire as I am only 39 so I have a way to go, but I am going through a change I guess. I want something different and my family all lives down South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4Me View Post
I lived in Osprey for 7 months, a suburb just South of Sarasota, moved there to be near family in Venice.
Did you move to Florida without a job first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Sarasota is lovely. I like it along Fruitville Road. Lots of nice stores too
How is it for youngster. I have a 19 year old son.

Last edited by Marka; 08-25-2006 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I lived in North Port and had family in Bradenton. There are a tremendous amount of homes for sale in Manatee and Sarasota counties. Sarasota itself will have more expensive homes, and some parts of Bradenton (mostly by the beach). North Port has a lot of new construction and a lot of traffic, but not much else.

For me, I would look for something in Manatee county. The water service will be less expensive, garbage service will be better, and your taxes SHOULD be a little lower. If you head towards Myakka, make sure you are getting the mineral/surface rights.

The commute from Bradenton to Sarasota will be faster, depending of course on if you end up living at the beach or somewhere near the interstate. It used to take me 40 minutes to get to Sarasota from North Port on a good traffic day.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I lived in North Port and had family in Bradenton. There are a tremendous amount of homes for sale in Manatee and Sarasota counties. Sarasota itself will have more expensive homes, and some parts of Bradenton (mostly by the beach). North Port has a lot of new construction and a lot of traffic, but not much else.

For me, I would look for something in Manatee county. The water service will be less expensive, garbage service will be better, and your taxes SHOULD be a little lower. If you head towards Myakka, make sure you are getting the mineral/surface rights.

The commute from Bradenton to Sarasota will be faster, depending of course on if you end up living at the beach or somewhere near the interstate. It used to take me 40 minutes to get to Sarasota from North Port on a good traffic day.
Thank you for the information. It is a bit nerve wracking. I am very confused now with all these comments about Florida. I have my house on the market and seeking employment in Florida, but I am kind of scare now. Not with your comments, but all the other negative comments I hear from all the readings I have done. Tough decision. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
Take it all with a grain of salt. Some people are bitter about their situations. It is hard not to be sometimes.

I looked on it as an opportunity. I am happy as a clam where I landed, doing something that I would not have had a chance to do if I had stayed where I was.

If you are coming from Mass you are used to high taxes and an expensive cost of living. Many folks in Florida were not. You may be one of the people who gets down there and wonders what all of the commotion was all about.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,737,035 times
Wink sarasota

007, hello there. I live in Sarasota and have a 23 year old son here. To answer your original question on where to live depends to a degree on your financial situation. Just like any other city Sarasota has expensive areas and some middle ground and some less desirable areas. Can tell you about all of them. Right now prices are dropping like crazy, I know you plan to rent, but many apartments have converted to condos all over the area, not just Sarasota, so renting apts is harder now, but many, many folks overextended themselves during the past 2 year real estate bubble, and are renting nice houses for less than apts. I for one love it here and yes the prices are lower in the areas surrounding Sarasota, I am/was tired of driving 45 minutes each way to work every day in my previous life. Too much wear and tear on both the car and me! It was definitely worth the extra cost to live in Sarasota itself. Everything is within minimal driving and bicycling distance. Please let me know if I can answer anything for you about the area. Good luck to ya, and welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida