Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Nobody gets attacked for simply not liking Florida. Most of the anti-Florida posts are based on broad generalizations, like the drivers are terrible, the people are mean, or there's too much sprawl. You know, things found in every other state. People complain about lack of diversity or cookie-cutter buildings, but when you ask where they live, they usually say some remote suburban area twenty miles from the city core. People see Florida on television or come once or twice for vacation and then decide to move here (see all the posts about people wanting to move to Key West without any job offers?), after only doing minimal research and having virtually no goals, only to complain when their money runs out and they're left sitting unemployed in their apartment. Others come down here and expect the big cities to be like New York or Philadelphia and then complain how--by and large--no Florida cities are like that, and indeed very few cities in the country are like that. It's almost like they're setting themselves up for failure.

In short, most of the posters on here don't care if you don't like Florida, but they do care if you start ripping on Florida for things that aren't the state's fault or if the poster starts using vague generalizations that could apply to anywhere else in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I'd comment on your post, but there are just too many generalizations!
Touché I was on a roll and couldn't slow down.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
^ ^ I beg to differ, the general attitude prevelent on these forums, that if someone is unhappy living in Fla there must be something wrong with them because they must be a bitter, angry, loser if they don't just love Fla, is completely wrong and very shallow. I have real reasons beyond the heat and lack of seasons. Btw, not everyone who wants to leave can automatically do so, many have jobs, financial, and family reasons that force them to stay put. It's not just due to poor financial planning.

My main reasons are crime, rabid over-development, skyrocketing cost of living, and extremely rude, unfriendly, untrustworthy people. This mixed with the fact I want 4 seasons and a break from the geographic monotony, has prompted me to make the move to leave Fla. I know several long-time residents who feel as I do so I know it's not just me who feels this way. However, as I said above, some people DO thrive down here as everyones experiences and expectations differ. These are just my observations, milage may vary, lol. It's a big country, there's bound to be a little something for everyone, we just have to find the place that works best.
Good post. Just as people who have lived most of their lives in other places want to come to Florida, many, many of us who have lived most (if not all) our lives in Florida have become disillusioned and are ready for a change. Everyone has their vision of Nirvana-for me it's the PNW, for others it's the sub-tropics or the Southeast.
Many of us DO have long term family and job commitments and leaving without planning is out of the question.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
This mixed with the fact I want 4 seasons and a break from the geographic monotony, .
You'll like this
=
4 SEASONS

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Came to FL in 1994, went home to MA a couple times, things didn't work out those times, but we are headed home for the final time in June, on the 17th to be exact. I have grown tired of the summer heat here for 8 months, we miss our home state, and I miss my family up there also. I want my daughter to go to the middle school, and high school I went to where education is better.

We will be back to visit my mother and step father, but we are glad we are going back home.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You'll like this
=
4 SEASONS

I like that, ALOT, VERY MUCH.... Mucho... Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Nobody gets attacked for simply not liking Florida. Most of the anti-Florida posts are based on broad generalizations, like the drivers are terrible, the people are mean, or there's too much sprawl. You know, things found in every other state. People complain about lack of diversity or cookie-cutter buildings, but when you ask where they live, they usually say some remote suburban area twenty miles from the city core. People see Florida on television or come once or twice for vacation and then decide to move here (see all the posts about people wanting to move to Key West without any job offers?), after only doing minimal research and having virtually no goals, only to complain when their money runs out and they're left sitting unemployed in their apartment. Others come down here and expect the big cities to be like New York or Philadelphia and then complain how--by and large--no Florida cities are like that, and indeed very few cities in the country are like that. It's almost like they're setting themselves up for failure.

In short, most of the posters on here don't care if you don't like Florida, but they do care if you start ripping on Florida for things that aren't the state's fault or if the poster starts using vague generalizations that could apply to anywhere else in the country.
Amen!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM

If living in big older cities does it for you, have a great time.
If you like driving in snow for a few months out of the year, go for it.
If you like paying taxes through the nose, go for it.
If you like sitting in bumper to bumper traffic than it is certainly for you.

What I wonder is why you didn't leave FL earlier instead of living in 3 different FL cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Really? I thought they still have 4 seasons up north!
Hills...whitin a reasonable drive...non stop things to do....etc etc

I agree that the "suburb" epidemic has affected all US cities, luckily up north (NE), there is still some character left, some culture and some real cities.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Yep. I think you will find that dramatic change in MI.

FL is not for everyone. That is granted. If I wasn't happy where I was living (and Ive been there and done that) I would pack it up and leave. Nothing should get in the way of the enjoyment of life.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely not condeming the entire state as I'm sure there are some great places in Fla, it is a big state. If I were to stay in Fla, I'd probably check out Northern Fla esp. the Panhandle as parts of it sure are beautiful with the lush foliage and rolling hills. As it is though, I'm looking for a dramatic change which I know I will find in MI.

Take care.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
I'll definetely leave FL in 2 years (end of 2012, early 2013), wherever I find a job in a four season, cheaper, safer, friendlier mid-big city in the NE, TX, or Mountain zone. Hpuston is my top choice at the moment. I'm sick and tired of the 12 month summer, rude people, high cost of living and low wages.... I've been here for too long and everything is changing for the worst. I'm only making the same hourly pay I had back in early 2006 in my highest paying job (I just had hired at two places and I don't have any day off).... LIFE SUCKS IN SOUTH FLORIDA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida