Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Leave the rankings up to the experts, Florida has good and improving schools.
I agree that the schools are improving, but they are not good yet and I think it is irresponsible to pretend that the schools are good just because they have equitable funding. Equitable funding is a good thing but it is not a replacement for actual achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I really disagree with the methodology used in this article. Some of the FL schools on the list really are great schools. Some just ram loads of kids into AP classes.

I am not an IB fan.
I am. IB can be a fantastic way to prepare for college. If you go to an instate public school, the IB diploma gets you 30 credits. Some schools give you even more, especially if you take the corresponding AP exams along with the IB exams.

IB forces you to take several advanced-level classes at once, along with requiring an extended essay and community service, rather than just taking a couple of isolated AP classes. As an IB grad, I was light years ahead of people in college freshman classes.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM

92 posts, read 208,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I am. IB can be a fantastic way to prepare for college. If you go to an instate public school, the IB diploma gets you 30 credits. Some schools give you even more, especially if you take the corresponding AP exams along with the IB exams.

IB forces you to take several advanced-level classes at once, along with requiring an extended essay and community service, rather than just taking a couple of isolated AP classes. As an IB grad, I was light years ahead of people in college freshman classes.
As an IB grad, I have to strongly agree. I am a huge proponent of this program. I chose to attend a private college out of state so I did not benefit from all the class credit (though I was given the equivalent of a semester's worth of credits by my school) but I more than held my own in classes with kids who had been educated in some of the best boarding schools and prep schools in the country.

Socially, I also appreciated the exposure I received to a diverse group of students. While we were all similar academically, we came from many different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds and I think I benefited from having such a diverse set of friends and classmates.

Most of all, I am very glad that I was given the option to attend the IB program rather than my local high school. Aside from the fact that my local school had safety issues (both inside the school and in the neighborhood it was in), the emphasis there was on getting the majority of students to pass, not on ensuring that the brightest students were challenged. I understand why that is the case but I am grateful that I did not have that experience as a high school student. My parents could not afford to move to a better school district or to enroll in private school. IB gave me the opportunity to have a top notch education in spite of my parents' financial circumstances. I am fortunate to be in a position now where I live in a good school district and can afford private school tuition. Regardless, I am hoping that my own child will want to enroll in the IB program when the time comes.

All that said, I don't think IB is the best option or the only way one can get a good education. I'm just glad it is provided as an option for those of us who want it. To get back to the original topic of Florida education, while I agree that the state has a long way to go, I do think it does a decent job in presenting a variety of educational opportunities to students (though of course that is in large part because it is not fairing so well overall!).

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I'm really surprised Florida is ranked that high. I went to several schools and high schools when I lived in FL and each one was very ghetto and low class education.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
The haters were wrong, obviously.It's great to see Florida's schools so high

Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
The haters were wrong, obviously.It's great to see Florida's schools so high
I agree

and there are some excellent HS in Florida without a doubt...

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Florida drops a bit, but continues to remain in the top quarter of all states in terms of school education quality, unfortunately upsetting all of the Florida education haters

Quality Counts Florida: Florida's rank drops to 11 - OrlandoSentinel.com

Quote:
State leaders said Florida still did well overall but the results showed a need for an "additional investment in high-quality education," according to a press statement from the Florida Department of Education.

"Florida's education system ranks among the best in the nation, but we still face some challenges. I'm confident we will continue to improve," said Gov. Rick Scott, in prepared remarks that touted his call for more school funding this year than last.
Quote:
Florida's fifth-place ranking in 2011 has been touted by state leaders as a sign their school reform efforts were improving academics in public schools. The state had climbed steadily on the national ranking in recent years, moving from 14th place in 2008 to 10th place in 2009, eighth place in 2010 and then fifth last year.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Florida drops a bit, but continues to remain in the top quarter of all states in terms of school education quality, unfortunately upsetting all of the Florida education haters

Quality Counts Florida: Florida's rank drops to 11 - OrlandoSentinel.com

Bbbut, it's FloriDUH, and in Floriduh the schools are subpar, and don't teach no readin or riting!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm really surprised Florida is ranked that high. I went to several schools and high schools when I lived in FL and each one was very ghetto and low class education.

Then your school reflected the sum total of the demographics of its student body. That's not the school's fault. That's not the teacher's fault. That's the fault of a population of poor, uncaring students and their parents who don't value education.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,381 times
Where do you find these stats? Looking to move with family. Good schools are important to us. Anyone know about private vs public
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida