Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: OPEN CARRY IN FLORIDA...WHAT DO YOU THINK
Bring it on. I want to protect myself! 34 35.42%
I don't know...I think concealed carry is enough. 35 36.46%
Where are we? The wild wild west? This will invite criminals to rob people of firearms! 10 10.42%
Guns should be banned. 17 17.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times

Advertisements

Open-carry law under consideration (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/open-carry-law-under-consideration-01172011 - broken link)
I, for one, think this is a good idea. This isn't to say that open carry will stop events like what happened in Tucson Az from happening- after all, Arizona has had open-carry for as long as I can remember. But I think that having a law like this will make it safer for the law-abiding citizens out there who go about their busy day. Will it be a deterrent, or will it invite criminal targeting? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
Idiots around here can't even handle driving a car or be civil to each other; now you want to arm them?

I can see plenty of road rage incidents, boozing bar goers, people who can't cope with stress turning into gun fights.

VERY dangerous.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Idiots around here can't even handle driving a car or be civil to each other; now you want to arm them?

I can see plenty of road rage incidents, boozing bar goers, people who can't cope with stress turning into gun fights.

VERY dangerous.
I couldn't agree more. And the driving is a perfect example. The basic lack of common courtesy on the roads here could create a free for all, as it is you already have many people driving around armed.

If someone wants to have a gun in their home for protection that is understandable, I don't get the need to be armed at all times and the FL "stand your ground law" needs to be looked at.

You have neighbors getting into disputes over minor items and someone ends up dead. The shooting involving a retiree killing a 42 yr old Iraqi War veteran in front of his 8yr old daughter because a teenager used a skateboard on a basketball court is a good example.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Very true about the aforementioned incidents. I have been a gun owner all my life, have a concealed carry permit, and never once have I needed to pull my firearm or use it as a form of intimidation. Unfortunately, there are a lot of gun owners who have a totally different mentality. I am still on the fence about this issue, since you guys are right- Florida is a messed up state. On one hand, I would love to see gun laws kept to a minimum for people such as myself, but on the other hand I can see a TON of jackwagons walking around with guns on their hips and an itchy trigger finger..."how dare you cut me off!! BAM!" "I wanted that parking spot! BANG BANG!" Sad, but true...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM

LOL...just creating a little discussion. It's always interesting to see everyone's take on it. Don't get frustrated...sadly, these are the people you share the planet with, and some of them may not be completely sane or logical.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
LOL...just creating a little discussion. It's always interesting to see everyone's take on it. Don't get frustrated...sadly, these are the people you share the planet with, and some of them may not be completely sane or logical.
Rich- I think it is a great discussion, and I am not necessarily for or against an open carry law, as it will not take weapons out of, nor put weapons in peoples hands. It merely changes where they carry. Actually, I kind of think it may be a crime deterrent, however- I haven't thought it out enough to take a stance on it. I am a proponent for the second amendment, and thank you for posting the article and starting the discussion but Some of the peoples opinions and statements are completely unfounded and preposterous. I just cannot fathom where some people get their information or how they process their thoughts. Some opinions are completely devoid of any logic whatsoever, which hardly makes it an opinion at all.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Texas has open carry and for the most part it's a good idea.. When some idiot tries to carjack you or rob a store you're in, You can protect yourself.

Texas has a law where you can shoot and kill someone that's threatening not only you but also your property. Criminals are a little less willing to mess with you if they think you're carrying, Plus, the state makes extra money issuing carry permits..

Win Win.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Rich- I think it is a great discussion, and I am not necessarily for or against an open carry law, as it will not take weapons out of, nor put weapons in peoples hands. It merely changes where they carry. Actually, I kind of think it may be a crime deterrent, however- I haven't thought it out enough to take a stance on it. I am a proponent for the second amendment, and thank you for posting the article and starting the discussion but Some of the peoples opinions and statements are completely unfounded and preposterous. I just cannot fathom where some people get their information or how they process their thoughts. Some opinions are completely devoid of any logic whatsoever, which hardly makes it an opinion at all.

Really? How about people getting guns with no training.

How about hotheads(I guess you don't read the paper and see all the neighborhood quarrels that end up with someone dead) over something minor.

I met an elderly couple in a restaurant who were retirees from Long Island, both had guns on them.

I find that odd. This was in nice area north of Tampa in the middle of the day. I highly doubt they ran around up north with guns. Yet many move to FL and all of sudden need to be armed.

These people were up there in age. Can you guarantee they're following proper gun safety?

Just last week a college student was shot and killed(very pretty girl) by a friend who was showing off his new rifle.

As people get dumber and dumber and manners go by the wayside do you want to see them all walking around armed?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
We've gotta keep those rogue geezers and snowbirds in line somehow.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I was reading through the tread and was thinking the same thing Craig. You said it for me.

I am a CWP holder. I never carry it unless we go out of town and stay at a hotel or are out for a long trip in FL.

Frankly, I don't like the idea 100% because of the possibility of armed
criminals relieving the open carrier of their firearm as if they were holding you up for your wallet. The odds of you being able to pull out a weapon and fire a shot at the attacker who has HIS gun held to the back of your head.

I would rather have the element of surprise in the event of having the need to use a firearm in a situation.

Let's keep the criminals guessing on who is or isn't armed.

It does amaze me how people go off on their stupidity without understanding the situation in the first place. Usually those are the same people who hate FL to begin with and would rather not be here.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-24-2011 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: quote removed due to insults
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida