Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these counties do YOU feel is the most dangerous, regardless of statistics?
Broward 4 5.97%
Dade 36 53.73%
Duval 3 4.48%
Orange 8 11.94%
Palm Beach 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM

120 posts, read 170,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Hillsoborugh was actually a county I forgot to put, and was 4th I think out of 10. Orange was the worst, dade was 3rd, Duval was 2nd (nobody is going to want to acknowledge that though). Broward was the safest I listed, and 8th safest out of 10 largest counties. I don't think PBC as a whole is really that dangerous. Just the central part of the county is, but there are a lot of inconsistencies throughout the county. I was wondering what people felt though, regardless of stats. Its interesting to see how nobody finds Duval dangerous, regardless of it being the 2nd most dangerous in the state statistically.I have found that a lot of people wear rose colored glasses about No. Fla and the panhandle and greatly exaggerate what goes on in Dade/Broward/Palm Beach county, especially Broward.
Haha. You think people exagerate about So. Fl. People exagerate about SW FL just as much. I actually think Broward and Dade are the safest of the options listed (in my book).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
Haha. You think people exagerate about So. Fl. People exagerate about SW FL just as much. I actually think Broward and Dade are the safest of the options listed (in my book).
Dade is still not a walk in the park, and neither is Broward really. Well, actually, the vast majority of Broward is safe. The dangerous neighborhoods are in a small isolated sliver between I-95 and the Turnpike, and are very easily avoidable.Still, we have our fair share of violent crime, but it's actually safer per capita than any of the states metros, including those in the panhandle. The thing about Miami crime is that it's not isolated; its EVERYWHERE! IN the case of Duval (which was 2nd highest) and Broward, those bad neighborhoods/bad crime cases are isolated. In Orange/Hillsoborough/Dade/ (to a limited extent) PBC, it tends to happen all over the place.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM

Oh and also, people sure as hell do exaggarate about crime in SW Fl. Yeah, there are a lot of illegals moving into the Golden Gate area, and the City of Fort Myers is a hotspot for violence, but overall, sheesh.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
Safe places with little crime, Scary places with high Crime.
Florida has it all. Just like most states. Bigger cities have higher concentration of crime. Small towns/Suburbs have less crime. And most places have some mix of all.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Here's another chart showing crime by counties through 2006:

Total Index Crime by County, 2006

Orange is still #1 -- guess we all just know the areas to avoid! The high crime areas really do tend to be in the same places, year after year. It just gets more frequent.

Duval is #2 -- Jacksonville

Miami Dade is #3

Manatee is #4 (!?) -- Bradenton

Alachua is #5 -- Gainesville

Old 07-20-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Here's another chart showing crime by counties through 2006:

Total Index Crime by County, 2006

Orange is still #1 -- guess we all just know the areas to avoid! The high crime areas really do tend to be in the same places, year after year. It just gets more frequent.

Duval is #2 -- Jacksonville

Miami Dade is #3

Manatee is #4 (!?) -- Bradenton

Alachua is #5 -- Gainesville
I wanted to see how people feel versus facts, so I posted the counties that are generally perceived to be the most dangerous in the state on this board. For example, Broward is statistically quite safe for its size, but a lot of people like to poo poo on Broward. Duval is considered highly on these boards, but its actually one of the worst. I wanted to see the perception versus reality complex.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I wanted to see how people feel versus facts, so I posted the counties that are generally perceived to be the most dangerous in the state on this board. For example, Broward is statistically quite safe for its size, but a lot of people like to poo poo on Broward. Duval is considered highly on these boards, but its actually one of the worst. I wanted to see the perception versus reality complex.
Yes, I understand. My perception would be Dade #1. What surprised me in reality are the Manatee and Alachua stats.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand. My perception would be Dade #1. What surprised me in reality are the Manatee and Alachua stats.
I voted Dade too, but it did not surprise me at all. Bradenton is full of gangs and child molesters, and Gainesville is a gold ol' southern city, which means good ol' southern crime, despite what many posters may want you to think. Not disrespecting the south(as I quite respect it, living in the South), but it is known to have the highest crime and murder rate out of all of America's regions statistically.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I voted Dade too, but it did not surprise me at all. Bradenton is full of gangs and child molesters, and Gainesville is a gold ol' southern city, which means good ol' southern crime, despite what many posters may want you to think. Not disrespecting the south(as I quite respect it, living in the South), but it is known to have the highest crime and murder rate out of all of America's regions statistically.
Does being a college town highly affect the Gainesville area crime? I thought it would be just the opposite in a college town.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Does being a college town highly affect the Gainesville area crime? I thought it would be just the opposite in a college town.
Actually, it has little or any effect. If a college town has bad neighborhoods, racial tensions, or poverty, there is more likely to be high crime, just as in any other town. A university is often a positive presence in a town to prevent such factors, but overall, College Town really only means a high proportion of well educated residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida