Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 18,119 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving my family to Homosassa, Florida. Just wanted some feedback on the area. The place we like the best is Sugarmill Woods, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Sugar Mill is a nice area but has a very strict HOA.
A bit of a drive for any shopping but a new plaza is going in close right now.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
VERY STRICT down to the color green of your grass. No kidding. my husband works with a man who has been trying to get out for some time. His lawn isn't green enough and he keeps getting threatening notices that he will be fined so he spends a ton of money and every weekend upkeeping his lawn. I hear nightmares of this place all the time. There are some other developments around Homosassa that i would seriously look at. Don't limit yourself to Sugarmill Woods. The HOA staff have nothing to do all day but cruise around looking for any possible way they give you a violation. I don't think the kids will like it there either, if you have any, as I don't think it's very family oriented. Mostly retirees looking for peace and quiet live there.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM

74 posts, read 347,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
VERY STRICT down to the color green of your grass. No kidding. my husband works with a man who has been trying to get out for some time. His lawn isn't green enough and he keeps getting threatening notices that he will be fined so he spends a ton of money and every weekend upkeeping his lawn. I hear nightmares of this place all the time. There are some other developments around Homosassa that i would seriously look at. Don't limit yourself to Sugarmill Woods. The HOA staff have nothing to do all day but cruise around looking for any possible way they give you a violation. I don't think the kids will like it there either, if you have any, as I don't think it's very family oriented. Mostly retirees looking for peace and quiet live there.
I'm also moving to the area next year. Do you have the names/locations of these other developments? thanks.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default SugarMill Woods

I'd look somewhere else, yes, there is a new Walgreens going in on 98 and a shopping mall......but that's about it. You could look South to Royal Highlands
or Glen Lakes or Woodland Waters but those are a little pricey.

Good luck on your search

Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetGI View Post
I'm also moving to the area next year. Do you have the names/locations of these other developments? thanks.
I wish i could remember some of the names. They were just past Sugarmill woods going south on the Left side of the road. I just drove by there the other day and happened to see some new developments but i didn't really pay attention to their names. Sorry about that. I just hope you get a chance to look around before you settle on Sugarmill woods.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,035 times
Cool The 2 Sub-Divison you saw are.....

The first one on the left is "The Dunes". It is presently being developed
by the Sugarmill builders. Probably will be an addition to Sugarmill Woods. And Yes, Sugarmill is 95% retirees, not a place for kids of any age.

The next one, can't remember the name, but it's a trailer park, oops I think they call them Manufactured Homes now.

"Royal Highlands" is newly developing without restrictions so take a good
look to make sure it's what you want and that your investment will grow.

"Glen Lakes" and "Woodland Waters" aren't that pricey. $300k and up. Both have some good deals right now since it's a buyers market. Woodland Waters has a reputation for being where the rich people live but mainly it's normal people and more families with kids are moving in now that the tollway is easily accessible. Check out the school though. They don't have the best scores. Pasco country is affordable and they pay their teachers the best. Usually mean better quality schools too. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I wish i could remember some of the names. They were just past Sugarmill woods going south on the Left side of the road. I just drove by there the other day and happened to see some new developments but i didn't really pay attention to their names. Sorry about that. I just hope you get a chance to look around before you settle on Sugarmill woods.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 55,620 times
Default S M Woods

I own 3 lots in Sugar Mill Woods & 1 in Citrus Hills and love the place. The price is reasonable, plenty of open space, a green belt behind each lot. Great golf & outdoor stuff. Far enough from the coast to keep ins. rates down, but close enough for a short drive. great boating. 55 min. to Tampa for Sports & concerts, but away from the big city bad stuff. Close to Orlando for a day trip. What's not to like?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 23,459 times
We did quite a bit of research before purchasing in Sugarmill Woods ... my husband and I decided on a beautiful cul-de-sac lot in the Cypress Village Section ... to be be honest, we can't wait to build our home in a community that has a strong HOA ... we like the location of SMW to Tampa Airport and it's proximity to the Suncoast Highway ... in addition, there is plenty to do and see in the area ... more and more stores/shopping centers going up ... which is great for the economy ... that's the beauty of Citrus County ... there are plenty of neighborhoods to choose from ... there is truly something for everyone both young and "older" ...

Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 14,898 times
Greetings,

We are also in the preliminary stage of surfing the Web about Sugarmill Woods community. Unfortunately, we currently live in the Northwest so on site viewing of property is problematic and one can’t always trust the real estate folks to tell you all you need to know. So you surf the forums looking for information that would help.

Rudydddd, are you currently living in either of those communities and if so what do you think of the HOA rules. We see some of the Sugarmill Woods development is deed restricted but apparently, there are more rules beyond those restrictions.

We have all read the stories about the HOA Boards assessing property owners for rule violations beyond reason and we worry about these situations. There are pros & cons with HOA(s) but at our age, we do not want the hassles of overly restricted communities. What are the thoughts …..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida