Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,704 times

Advertisements

As a dad that has lived in Florida 4 times it is not all it is cracked up to be. I am only here because my selfish ex took my son here for some guy she met. When he gets old enough to decide I am moving to New York if I can. Keep the kids in NY by their dad. Warm weather isn't everything. Besides kids love snow, I know my son does. Plus there are are alot of sex offenders here, that may prey on a single mother. I have lived in all parts of Florida and know they're everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
I do not have kids, but even I know Florida is pretty bad education wise. If I did have kids I would never live here. In Hillsborough County I read that the high school drop out rate is 50%!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I do not have kids, but even I know Florida is pretty bad education wise. If I did have kids I would never live here. In Hillsborough County I read that the high school drop out rate is 50%!
Hillsborough County actually has one of the better drop out rates for major school districts in the United States, believe it or not.

Florida's major metro cities fair no worse than most of their contemporaries throughout the US. New York City metro has a 30-something graduation rate. Detroit metro is the worst.

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Who says you have to raise your kids in a city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hillsborough County actually has one of the better drop out rates for major school districts in the United States, believe it or not.

Florida's major metro cities fair no worse than most of their contemporaries throughout the US. New York City metro has a 30-something graduation rate. Detroit metro is the worst.

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates
That is why most families move out to suburbs of big cities.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is why most families move out to suburbs of big cities.
Indeed. And even in Florida, the families tend to live in the subburbs, where the "schools" are better because the families actually care about education.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Indeed. And even in Florida, the families tend to live in the subburbs, where the "schools" are better because the families actually care about education.

Well, there are families that care about education in the city. Not as many as the suburbs though.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
But the whole state of Florida is one giant suburb (except for Miami offcourse).

Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
GO BACK. Move , let your husband stay here for a while . raise your kids in NY.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,496 times
Default Florida Educational Excellence

As a NY Native with a Business Regents after excelling and skipping 10th grade I fully support FL education.
My child’s exceptional ESE Services are Superior to NYS Public Schools and her Honor Roll Average dropped.
She earned 1 of 3 IC3 Computer Certifications (Microsoft Partnership) after being published twice by DOH’s
Department of Education newsletter. She’s had serious self esteem support from Special Needs instructors of
Pinellas County-Clearwater. Religious schools also provide higher tech and extracurricular activities far better
than anything offered in NY. She’s already applied for STEM Courses at FL Polytechnic Institute in Davenport
with plans for a bright future seeking career options from several companies within that industry in Pinellas.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:24 AM

97 posts, read 83,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
of course the majority are going to say Florida here since it's a Florida board. Ask this one the Long Island board and get their perspective too.

Education is better in NY hands down.
Lots more educational opportunities in NY, and more jobs, plus the higher pay.
Long Island is a great place to grow up if you have the money. I grew up there and loved it. Just a short train ride to the city. NYC is a much better city to bring your kids around than a city like Miami. Orlando may be nice to visit, but actually living there? I hear the schools are some of the worst in FL. And to constantly fight the Disney traffic? no thanks.
Disney traffic? Lol shows how much you actually know about Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida