Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 51,788 times

Advertisements

I will be a newly single 27 year old mother of two within a few weeks and in the crossroads of starting over in Florida or back to Long Island. All other states are out of the question with the exception of California and Virginia. They seem like beautiful states. My husband is moving back to Long Island and I do want to keep the kids close to him, but it's so damn expensive. Commuting to NY everyday and hardly seeing them grown up worries me. I'm considering Florida (Orlando Suburbs). I love Orlando and all the excitement like City Walk..nice weather..theme parks..close to beaches. I currently live in the Poconos..so anything is better than this. I'll be a renter going no higher than $1,500 in FL and $2,200 in NY.

I took a trip alone last June and stayed in a hotel on Daytona while during the day look all around areas of Orlando. I loved Winter Park the best. One night at 3am in the morning I'm awaken by a noise on my back porch. Long story short I had to call the cops, because there was a guy trying to break in my hotel. That scared my away, but realize crime is everywhere. I just want a safe place to raise my kids and be single again.

Any thoughts/opinions on either Long Island (Huntington areas) or Florida (Orlando areas)?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 PM

106 posts, read 568,302 times
Default Let's see

I will choose Florida specially central Florida Tampa Orlando area there are plenty of good areas there for you. Better weather than NY tropical the way to go.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanabee View Post
I will be a newly single 27 year old mother of two within a few weeks and in the crossroads of starting over in Florida or back to Long Island. All other states are out of the question with the exception of California and Virginia. They seem like beautiful states. My husband is moving back to Long Island and I do want to keep the kids close to him, but it's so damn expensive. Commuting to NY everyday and hardly seeing them grown up worries me. I'm considering Florida (Orlando Suburbs). I love Orlando and all the excitement like City Walk..nice weather..theme parks..close to beaches. I currently live in the Poconos..so anything is better than this. I'll be a renter going no higher than $1,500 in FL and $2,200 in NY.

I took a trip alone last June and stayed in a hotel on Daytona while during the day look all around areas of Orlando. I loved Winter Park the best. One night at 3am in the morning I'm awaken by a noise on my back porch. Long story short I had to call the cops, because there was a guy trying to break in my hotel. That scared my away, but realize crime is everywhere. I just want a safe place to raise my kids and be single again.

Any thoughts/opinions on either Long Island (Huntington areas) or Florida (Orlando areas)?? Thanks!!
Why not halfway to N.C ?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:

Huntington is a pretty nice area in Long Island. It has mall/shopping/etc and everything you need. It's also fairly large. The schools are pretty good up that way. Not the best by LI standards, but decent. The Huntington schools has a fairly high ratio of free/reduced lunch students(usually around 20 percent, which for LI is high). Honestly, the average schools up there might be academically better then the best down here. In Orlando, Seminole County is a comparative bargain, as you can get pretty good schools, especially in the Oviedo area, safe neighborhoods, and family friendly appeal. Basically, go for wherever you can live most comfortably. They are both good choices. In Orlando, zero in on Seminole County and look into Lake Mary, Winter Springs (especially eastern) or Oviedo. Honestly, Crime is out of control in Central Florida at a point that is beyond anything on LI. Still, Seminole is pretty safe.

So, Overall, wherever gives you the best career prospects or enables you to live most comfortably is where you should settle. Weather is also a major plus to Florida!!!!!!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-21-2007 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Why not halfway to N.C ?
She mentioned that "All other states are out" except for California or Virgina. I would agree, if it were an option for her. So thats why not.

Anyway, Seminole County is a better deal than Huntington/Suffolk County, and believe it or not, Florida has redeeming aspects.

Quote:
All other states are out of the question with the exception of California and Virginia.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
You mention you want to keep your kids close to their dad, living in Florida and him in New York is not close at all. Have you checked with the proper people because my neice was not allowed to move out of her state unless the dad of her kids signed off on it. And of course he did not. Even though she was going to make a ton more money in her new job, she had to work out them living with their dad for 2 months during the summer and trade holidays with the parents spliting the travel cost.

I know divorce is not good for kids and for anyone else, but being 1500 miles from there dad is a long way away I would think.
My own opinion is 1500 miles from their daddy is too far away, but then again we dont know the specifics.

Do you have other family in Florida as well? Raising two kids and being single and trying to find or going to work if you already have a job lined up would be hard unless you had some trusting family members to help some.

As far a Florida goes, its not great growing up in the cold weather states, our kids live indoors 9 month a year and Florida kids ( most of them ) are outside playing and having a blast year around.

Keep your kids best interest a top priority. Kids need both parents no matter what. ( again we do not know the specifics )

Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Red face Proceed with caution

Quote:

So many of the responses that you have, and will receive, about Florida will focus only upon the weather, diverting attention away from many of the uncomfortable aspects of the current state "economic" climate. Only you can determine if the cost of "sunshine" will offset your other costs. Right now, the tropical paradise is trying to address problems that are affecting their very base of stability. As when Pittsburgh lost their steel industry, and with Detroit losing auto industry jobs, Florida is suffering a major bust in their lifeblood... the growth and expansion of their middle class (who are losing their opportunities to attain the American dream, especially with the housing slump & hurricane aftermaths).

The housing industry is in a dramatic slump. Property taxes, the crime statistics, and insurance fees are growing significantly. Human services (police & emergency) and the schools are markedly underfunded. If you are moving to Florida with a solid job opportunity .... one where you can make enough money to afford the American dream, or have a large "bankroll"... then you may be able to achieve success. However, if you are moving to Florida with the ideas of cheaper living or better opportunities than you have now, I would suggest that you proceed very cautiously.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
So many of the responses that you have, and will receive, about Florida will focus only upon the weather, diverting attention away from many of the uncomfortable aspects of the current state "economic" climate. Only you can determine if the cost of "sunshine" will offset your other costs. Right now, the tropical paradise is trying to address problems that are affecting their very base of stability. As when Pittsburgh lost their steel industry, and with Detroit losing auto industry jobs, Florida is suffering a major bust in their lifeblood... the growth and expansion of their middle class (who are losing their opportunities to attain the American dream, especially with the housing slump & hurricane aftermaths).

The housing industry is in a dramatic slump. Property taxes, the crime statistics, and insurance fees are growing significantly. Human services (police & emergency) and the schools are markedly underfunded. If you are moving to Florida with a solid job opportunity .... one where you can make enough money to afford the American dream, or have a large "bankroll"... then you may be able to achieve success. However, if you are moving to Florida with the ideas of cheaper living or better opportunities than you have now, I would suggest that you proceed very cautiously.
1. Do you live here?
2. Have you ever lived here?
3. Do you know that only 1 city in Florida ranked among America's 25 most dangerous, but 2 were Americas 25 safest?
4. Look up City-data crime stats for Weston (FL), Lake Mary, Oviedo, Coral Springs (just a couple of examples, there are plenty more with similar CD crime stats)
5. Do you know that Lake Mary was named the 4th best place to live in the United States by Money Magazine?
6. Did you read the entire thread? She is renting.
7. Did you know that the eradication of the middle class is not a Florida exclusive? Believe it or not, Long Island is way ahead of us on that. I guess she should proceed living in the United States with caution.
8. High property taxes; did you know that property tax rates are higher in Long Island, yet they pay state income tax there? Florida has no state income tax. Taxes are a loophole, a state this large needs to generate enough revenue somehow. The reason we lack state income taxes would be because the state constitution strictly prohibits it. If we had an income tax like your state does, our property tax rates would be lower.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-21-2007 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: more points, spelling corrections

Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
No but I bet he knows why the steel industry left Pittsburgh! I know I do, its called union workers wanting mega bucks to sit on there butts. Same with the Auto Industry.

Floridas economy will rebound, the housing bust is not a bust but a re figuring of what it is suppose to be. If anyone can rebound it is Florida !!

No matter what anyone says, you have tons more opportunities to earn a living in Florida then the majority of any other states. Whether it is working for yourself or someone else, only those who refuse to knock on doors or further their skills are the ones crying about incomes.

* Example - A window washer in most major cities in Florida can make up to 80k per year. I know one who does it with ease.

Everyone has a point of view, but, I took the most important which would be her kids, everything else is secondary.

If she can afford 1500 rent then she can make it easy in Florida, but again, my issue is her kids, first and foremost. It not about how good or bad Florida is, its about a single mom with kids, she asking for our help and we need to help her make the right choice for her and her kids.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 PM

51 posts, read 279,738 times
OK, some people talks about central Florida Orlando area. First the crime in Orlando is growing in Tampa the traffic is like hell, Miami no way. Go to the Florida maps and check out the small towns. In marion county you can find Ocala, is like a paradise for those who want to live in peace. Winter Haven is near Orlando and is very nice place. Find out more places in Google earth map and learn more about the cities (small cities)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida