Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandbeachbum View Post
Have you looked at Red Coach? Business class size seats on clean buses with frequent schedules. www.redcoachusa.com
I hadn't heard of "redcoach" that sounds interesting - thanks for the link! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about - we need more of that type transit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Yeah, investing in infrastructure and transportation projects is always a bad idea. Especially when those projects will require federal subsidies and constant maintenance costs.

I mean, look at the interstate system. Talk about a money-loser!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,143,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, investing in infrastructure and transportation projects is always a bad idea. Especially when those projects will require federal subsidies and constant maintenance costs.

I mean, look at the interstate system. Talk about a money-loser!
Airports and the air system are also heavily government subsidized -- but no one ever talks about that.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,739,907 times
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood’s statement on Florida Governor Scott’s decision to decline high-speed rail dollars

February 16, 2011

WASHINGTON – U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today made the following statement regarding Florida Governor Rick Scott’s decision to decline high-speed rail dollars.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood: “We are extremely disappointed by Governor Rick Scott’s decision to walk away from the job creating and economic development benefits of high speed rail in Florida. We worked with the governor to make sure we eliminated all financial risk for the state, instead requiring private businesses competing for the project to assume cost overruns and operating expenses. It is projects like these that will help America out-build our global competitors and lay the foundation needed to win the future. This project could have supported thousands of good-paying jobs for Floridians and helped grow Florida businesses, all while alleviating congestion on Florida’s highways. Nevertheless, there is overwhelming demand for high speed rail in other states that are enthusiastic to receive Florida’s funding and the economic benefits it can deliver, such as manufacturing and construction jobs, as well as private development along its corridors.”

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,283,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim123 View Post
Let's face it. The USA has it's own unique ways, which also applies to transportation. Uniqueness made it great in the first place, not copying others.
Good thing we didn't decide to build the Interstate Highway System after seeing Germany's Autobahn.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,189,214 times
I have hard time understanding people who are cheering his decision. That's just a big step backward.

Unbelievable! How understanding the benefit of high speed rail become a rocket science is beyond me..

Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 101,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Good thing we didn't decide to build the Interstate Highway System after seeing Germany's Autobahn.
The Interstate Highway System is not what makes America great. Finding unique solutions to unique problems is what makes America greater that any other nation on earth.

It's when you start copying that you are always one step behind. Now, you might want to copy + improve, but this proposed "high speed" rail is not improving anything on what already out there. It's only going half the speed of the fastest high speed rails already in use.

No, until we find a way to do this in a better, more cost efficient and more innovative way, I will cheer Mr. Scott's decision.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,598,073 times
He didn't even consult the study he said he would:

Gov. Scott didn't consult new rail "feasibility project" after all | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 News

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,283,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim123 View Post
The Interstate Highway System is not what makes America great. Finding unique solutions to unique problems is what makes America greater that any other nation on earth.

It's when you start copying that you are always one step behind.
So you consider high-speed rail to inferior because other countries have it? What are we supposed to do then? Maybe the government--I mean, private entrepreneur--will develop hovercrafts or helicopters will become practical for everyday use. After all, no other countries use those, do they?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM

51 posts, read 101,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
So you consider high-speed rail to inferior because other countries have it? What are we supposed to do then? Maybe the government--I mean, private entrepreneur--will develop hovercrafts or helicopters will become practical for everyday use. After all, no other countries use those, do they?
I consider this type of High Speed Rail inferior because it IS inferior to what other countries have. Improve it or it will already be obsolete before it's built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida