Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,730,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Even though I think this project is a stupid idea, I will say this...I don't like that Scott thinks he can just unilaterally turn down this money. He's not the king of Florida. This is something that needs to be done through the legislature.

That said...it's a dumb idea, and by the way...we're not the first state to turn this money down. Ohio and Wisconsin did too.
I agree. I don't see why they can't do a study and see what can really be done with the money in that respect. I don't think a blanket no at this point in time makes sense.

Then again the newest scuttle butt is Scott want to run for president now. So much for him caring one bit about this state. The whole affair of running for governor by him was just a prank by a guy who had nothing better to do I guess. Lets make no mistake here about Scott, he doesn't give a s!!t about this state of the people in it. He is just a jack off in every respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,676,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Then again the newest scuttle butt is Scott want to run for president now. So much for him caring one bit about this state. The whole affair of running for governor by him was just a prank by a guy who had nothing better to do I guess. Lets make no mistake here about Scott, he doesn't give a s!!t about this state of the people in it. He is just a jack off in every respect.
Source for this "scuttle butt"?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,114,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Best damned governor ever! (besides Christie)
I can't wait to see how Scott handles his first major hurricane. Will he ignore public safety because public safety doesn't produce a profit?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,114,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Source for this "scuttle butt"?
It was in the news yesterday.

God forbid this man runs for President.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,676,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It was in the news yesterday.

God forbid this man runs for President.
OK, folks, I just Googled this and this is total BS. I'm not a Scott fan (although I agree with his principled stance on the rail money) but I can't stand it when anyone spreads garbage as reliable info or uses it to justify absurd or outrageous claims. In fact, this doesn't even rise to the level of scuttlebutt. From what I can gather, there was a piece in a Miami paper that came up with this conclusion based on absolutely no substance.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,196,940 times
NOBODY would use it!!! Orlando needs an HOV lane. How on God's Earth do you have one of the world's biggest attractions coupled with one of the most archaic infrastructures on the planet. Orlando's disgusting.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,730,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
OK, folks, I just Googled this and this is total BS. I'm not a Scott fan (although I agree with his principled stance on the rail money) but I can't stand it when anyone spreads garbage as reliable info or uses it to justify absurd or outrageous claims. In fact, this doesn't even rise to the level of scuttlebutt. From what I can gather, there was a piece in a Miami paper that came up with this conclusion based on absolutely no substance.
It may be the totality of it, after only a few months as governor that leads to the speculation. I think it is a certainty he would be interested in the bottom half of the ticket. By then though he will have done so much damage to the state his value may diminish. He doesn't seem to care much about the state as he does just politicking and being a professional politician much in the vain as Palin. Although he runs away from any reporters or news in general other the Fox.

It does take a little reading between the lines for sure.

Is Gov. Rick Scott eyeing White House in 2012? - Political Currents - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/17/2072605/is-gov-scott-eyeing-white-house.html - broken link)

Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
This can be argued until we are all blue in the face but the fact of the matter is that almost all economically successful major urban areas have rail access or rail transit of some sort. The Tampa-Orlando corridor is one of the last holdouts; I think that's why they were offered the money in the first place.
Since when is Tampa-Orlando a MAJOR urban area???? Tampa-Orlando was chosen because of politics. It's the I-4 corridor that has the most swing voters.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM

817 posts, read 2,241,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Since when is Tampa-Orlando a MAJOR urban area???? Tampa-Orlando was chosen because of politics. It's the I-4 corridor that has the most swing voters.
There are circa 5-6 million people in the Tampa-Orlando corridor. If that's not major, I don't know what you'd call it.

That said, saying that there is almost no successful area without rail is BS. Detroit has none (although I guess you could argue it's not successful anymore...). Houston doesn't have one. St Louis ans Kansas City don't. Denver doesn't. Cincinatti and Cleveland don't. Indianapolis doesn't. I could keep going.

Now, I support local light rail where it makes sense, but the zeal of supporters...sometimes I think they just think "OH COOL!" and don't get beyond that...except to find support ONLY for their arguments.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,293,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
There are circa 5-6 million people in the Tampa-Orlando corridor. If that's not major, I don't know what you'd call it.

That said, saying that there is almost no successful area without rail is BS. Detroit has none (although I guess you could argue it's not successful anymore...). Houston doesn't have one. St Louis ans Kansas City don't. Denver doesn't. Cincinatti and Cleveland don't. Indianapolis doesn't. I could keep going.

Now, I support local light rail where it makes sense, but the zeal of supporters...sometimes I think they just think "OH COOL!" and don't get beyond that...except to find support ONLY for their arguments.
Houston does have rail. Please review the link I sent earlier.

I think you have unvalidated your own statement. Detroit is a failed city. As you stated, the I-4 corridor between Daytona Beach and Tampa-St. Pete (of course including Orlando) has over 5 million people and constitutes over 1/4 of Florida's population. Only St. Louis metro of the cities you listed has even over half of this population and Tampa-St. Pete by itself is almost as large as St. Louis-East St. Louis. This I-4 Corridor has a population that easily outpaces Detroit and this corridor is the largest urban agglomeration in the United States that does not have some semblance of fixed-rail mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida