Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 57,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to the boards. I have made several trips to Spring Hill, Fl. My husband is retiring in 5 years and we are seroiusly considering moving to Spring hill. We are avid golfers and we love the Silverthorn Community. We almost bought a nice Villa in Silverthorn this past month. But, I have several questions:

1. Is it worth it to buy a place now, make it our second home, rent it as often as possible and then move in 5 years from now? Do people want to rent in that area?

2. Are there any opportunities for a High School Spanish Teacher from New york to get a job there? (I am younger than my husband, I will need to work for another 10-15 years)

3. What's with the sinkholes? I just heard about it last night. My realtor didn't tell me anything about Spring Hill being the "sinkhole capital of the world". Is home insurance a huge problem then?

4. I read an article about the crime rate going up. I read that in 2006 it went up about 40%. Any areas I should avoid?

5. any other golf communities I should consider checking out when I return? Other than Silverthorn. We are looking at homes under $250,000 (golf and a pool a must)

Thanks so much for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2golf View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the boards. I have made several trips to Spring Hill, Fl. My husband is retiring in 5 years and we are seroiusly considering moving to Spring hill. We are avid golfers and we love the Silverthorn Community. We almost bought a nice Villa in Silverthorn this past month. But, I have several questions:

1. Is it worth it to buy a place now, make it our second home, rent it as often as possible and then move in 5 years from now? Do people want to rent in that area?

I would wait and buy when your ready to move especially since you won't be around to keep an eye on the place and prices will most likely drop some more.

2. Are there any opportunities for a High School Spanish Teacher from New york to get a job there? (I am younger than my husband, I will need to work for another 10-15 years)

Not sure about this but Tampa is not far away going down the suncoast parkway will only take you 45 minutes.

3. What's with the sinkholes?
A few years ago several sinkholes opened up in springhill hence the name "sinkhill" but sinkholes can happen anywhere in the state. It's just a cavity under the ground that has water and when the water dries up, that causes it to collapse. Be careful you don't get suckered into buying a home that had a sinkhole under it. Realtors probably will "forget" to mention that.

Is home insurance a huge problem then?
Yes. Home insuarnce is a huge issue for the entire state right now. Insurance companies are pulling out of the state. Allstate just dropped our home owners after 6 years not having a claim. State farm is now dropping 50,000 policies as of January 1. The only guaranteed insurance available is through the state and of course they charge an outrageous amount. Our premium more than doubled. Many people are moving from FL to other stated simply because of taxes and insurance rates continue to climb and wages tend to stay the same making it hard to make ends meet.

4. I read an article about the crime rate going up. I read that in 2006 it went up about 40%. Any areas I should avoid?

Not sure about that but Brooksville isn't too far away and that's probably where the problems come from.

5. any other golf communities I should consider checking out when I return? Other than Silverthorn. We are looking at homes under $250,000 (golf and a pool a must)

Not sure but many homes for $250,000 are available.

Thanks so much for your answers.
My husband lived in Springhill for 25 years and his parents and brother still live out there along with many of our friends. It really has grown the past few years. Where else can you stand in one spot and have a Walmart within a 10 mile drive. Seriously, there's 4 in the surrounding area alone.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 PM

thanks danielleFort,

I am really concerned about the Sinkholes. I never heard of sinkholes until last night. I will talk to my FL realtor and ask her for more info.

The house we thought about buying is in a gated golf community (Silverthorn)and I have to pay association fees, so I thought I wouldn't have to worry about me not being there.
Thanks again- I will also research the Brooksville crime rate.

Love2golf

Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,174 times
Default Spring Hill

Spring Hill is full of sinkholes........especially along the Mariner Blvd. area. Because of that and other factors, HOI is very high, if you can get it, right now Citizens is insuring half of the residents of FL. There are several other communities that you might consider, 7-Hills has a nice golf course, homes were built from 1986 to present, only drawback they have no clubhouse for dining/games/gatherings. There clubhouse is for golfers only. If your hubby
is over 55 The Wellington on Mariner Blvd before County Line Rd. is another nice place, with clubhouse and if you live there you can use 7-Hills course, The Wellington has a beautiful clubhouse and they have tons of activities for the people that live there, cruises and such.

I'm sure that you would be able to get a teaching job in the county, but there is a high turnover and the salaries are low, $31,000 to start, this year we lost 60 teachers by Dec. because they can make more in Pasco or other
counties. Also in general I hope you are tough and can handle some of these kids, not all but a good percentage will be arrogant, rude and tell you where to go, also the dropout rate here is around 30%.

Even with paying homeowner's ass. fees, you still have to maintain your home, have the lawn cut, I doubt if that's included in the fees, pay electric
water/sewer and hope that mold and mildrew doesn't destroy your home.
FL. is a high maintence state, if you have a lani it will get mold from the rain
roofs get mold from rain........not everyone knows the costs of maintaining a home in FL. and I doubt if any realtor will explain all this to you, after all they want to sell you a home. Do your homework, research and ask questions and if your realtor doesn't know the answer, keep asking until she gets you the answer. I would tell anyone who wants to live here, rent for a year, if you like it and think this is your piece of heaven, then go and buy and set down roots.

Good luck and I wish you well

Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2golf View Post

The house we thought about buying is in a gated golf community (Silverthorn)and I have to pay association fees, so I thought I wouldn't have to worry about me not being there.
Thanks again- I will also research the Brooksville crime rate.

Love2golf

If your in a place with HOA fees, you probably have very strict regulations regarding your yard and care of your home which i would be hesitant to leave it to a renters responsiblity to keep it up. You may end up getting fines or warnings from the HOA based on what the renter is or isn't doing. Not only that but relying on your renter to maintain and not do any damage inside your home that the HOA doesn't see is another reasoning i wouldn't rent out but that's just me.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Any teachers from Sping Hill Florida? When I move to Spring Hill in 5 years I will need to find a HS teaching job. I teach Spanish. What are the salaries? Are the teachers unionized? What are the kids like?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,562 times
In five years? Lots can happen in five years and changes abound. I see S H in the path of progress. Already it is showing signs of measured growth and many improvements which is good for I don't ever see this area over-built. The folks there will not let that happen. But five years? Who knows if we'll still be standing.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM

I am buying a villa now in silverthorn and coming down several times a year until I make my final move in 5 years.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,562 times
I gotcha. Well, that's a smart move. Best wishes as you grow with your new community.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,244 times
I need to find out houses with sink holes in 34609
Could you he;p me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida