Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times

Advertisements

Ok-we just got our tax notice-& our assessed value went up! But we just bought last year and THAT was a raised assessed value!!! PLUS, the assessed value this year is MORE THAN 3%!!! Um, I thought once you buy, the value is assessed (reassessed) & then your taxes basically stay the same or go up very little but NO MORE THAN 3%!!! So even though last year we didn't have the homestead, our taxes will be HIGHER this year WITH the homestead because they raised the assessed value! Again!!! Anyone in Dade (lulu?) get it? Cause I don't! I will be calling tomorrow but I thought someone on here might know something I don't! The assessed value last year was 130k - up from like 40k or something like that! The people who sold had been here 13 years. Now our assessed value is 171k so even minus 25k, that's 146k! I mean, it's not that big a deal - taxes still 3000+ , but I thought they'd go a bit DOWN, not a bit UP! Did they make a mistake? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Ok-we just got our tax notice-& our assessed value went up! But we just bought last year and THAT was a raised assessed value!!! PLUS, the assessed value this year is MORE THAN 3%!!! Um, I thought once you buy, the value is assessed (reassessed) & then your taxes basically stay the same or go up very little but NO MORE THAN 3%!!! So even though last year we didn't have the homestead, our taxes will be HIGHER this year WITH the homestead because they raised the assessed value! Again!!! Anyone in Dade (lulu?) get it? Cause I don't! I will be calling tomorrow but I thought someone on here might know something I don't! The assessed value last year was 130k - up from like 40k or something like that! The people who sold had been here 13 years. Now our assessed value is 171k so even minus 25k, that's 146k! I mean, it's not that big a deal - taxes still 3000+ , but I thought they'd go a bit DOWN, not a bit UP! Did they make a mistake? Thanks all!
Just when I think I understand it I get fooled. My asssesed value is much higher, value after deductions higher, yet the final tax is $14.00 lower then last year. I have been running the numbers over and over and can't arrive at their number. I would just like to understand how it works. I am in Broward by the way.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Welcome Too Florida............

Old 08-23-2006, 10:11 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
...So even though last year we didn't have the homestead...
...There you go.

I'm not a tax collector and I didn't stay at that inn last night, but my educated guess is that your status last year determines your taxes this year. For example, the year your house is constructed, you get a pass on the taxes on the house because it started the year as a vacant lot.

There's probably a technical term, such as "taxes are assessed in arrears", but regardless, that's my guess.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
Elfyum, You don't get the 3% save our homes cap until after the 2nd tax year you are in the home. You will get it next year. Orlando did the same thing to us. Took our assessed value up $70K in one year! I called about it and was told all property values in Orlando went up last year! When then is everything in my neighborhood selling for the same price as last summer? Anyway you got homestead this year, SAS will go into effect next year. Thank God for that!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Elfyum, You don't get the 3% save our homes cap until after the 2nd tax year you are in the home. You will get it next year. Orlando did the same thing to us. Took our assessed value up $70K in one year! I called about it and was told all property values in Orlando went up last year! When then is everything in my neighborhood selling for the same price as last summer? Anyway you got homestead this year, SAS will go into effect next year. Thank God for that!
That's what I heard from a realtor in Florida that the homestead kicks in during the 2nd year. It does bite and if sales continue to go up in your area, you'll see 3% increases next year.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
You'll see 3% increases next year.

Thank God for that! At least at 3% the most the taxes can go up is around $200.00 While I wouldn't be happy about that, it's ALOT better than some places. My parents in SC just got their tax bill yesterday. They are retired and have lived in the same home for 40 years. Their tax bill went up 30% this year. There is no tax cap in S.C.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM

8 posts, read 42,485 times
Default WEll - that can't be the case because I've been in my house 5 years

and they raised my assesment in the mail I got over 25% - and I've been homesteaded all 5 years!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
and they raised my assesment in the mail I got over 25% - and I've been homesteaded all 5 years!
Are you sure you're homesteaded?

My neighbor thinks he is even after I've shown him he's not and his taxes are flying up. Check online to be sure (your county's Property Appraiser site).

They can still raise your "Market Value", they just can't raise your taxable value by more than 3% if you have the homestead in place.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:27 AM

149 posts, read 700,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
You'll see 3% increases next year.

Thank God for that! At least at 3% the most the taxes can go up is around $200.00 While I wouldn't be happy about that, it's ALOT better than some places. My parents in SC just got their tax bill yesterday. They are retired and have lived in the same home for 40 years. Their tax bill went up 30% this year. There is no tax cap in S.C.
This is why I am scared of the super exemption and the phasing out of SOH if the amendment gets through. The 3% cap is great in the longterm. It holds thing steady and predictable over the long haul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: