Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,390 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Need some help...my hubby and I are contemplating a major move from Chicago to North Port. My hubby will be working in Fort Myers. How far away is Fort Myers from North Port. He has read MANY info sites saying how deserted North Port is because of the housing bubble. We are considering North Port because of the schools. We have 3 kids (11,9 and 2). Can someone please advise us!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Instead of a 40 mile drive (one hour drive time) from North Port to Fort Myers, you might consider Fort Myers itself. Fort Myers High School and it's feeder schools (elementary and middle) are excellent.

Fort Myers High School Homepage

Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM

What neighborhoods are good? Can you give me a little info on where?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 25,414 times
I would avoid Nprth Port at all costs . I sold a home there 1 yr ago and was so happy to be out of there!
I even lost alot of cash on the sale, on a home that I had renovated, but was still happy to be gone.
NP City is very corrupt, the very controversal ex police cheif Terry Lewis, has now been some how made the new city manager. This guy was reported in the media 2 yrs ago, destroying video evidense of his officers at a traffic stop in which they put a mother and her kids in danger. (When Lewis found out a lawsuit was intimet, he destroyed the tape!) Then 1 yr later, it was in the news..NP police failed to respond to a 911 call to a traffic wreck,untill 24 hrs later!(the guy found dead then).( you can hear the recording of their operator getting very rude with the caller just reporting the wreck) I even had to file a compaint against a NP police officer, for a crime against me. I had made a report with him, Officer King, then I had later found out the officer totally lied in the police report at least on 5 different things! Even though I supplyed Cheif Lewis hard eveidense (a recording my survlience system picked up of my actual report and conversation), nothing was ever done to this officer!
Before that I even tried to help fight the crime there myself by reporting appliance theifs evidense I had to NP detectives many times, but they could care less! They never got back to me on that.
Another incident, 1 month after I started renovating a home there, someone dumped a gallon of paint on my vehicle one night, for no reason at all!
Then there is the constant harrassing and fining NP city preforms on it's residents!
A new home owner who just bought a home and was fixing it up across the street from me there got a $100.00 fine when he just moved in... for leaving the trash can out overnite one night!
Also in the news..NP code enforcment took away the home of someone(through court action) just over an old code vilotation of not getting a swimming pool permit, for their small above ground pool. It just gooes on and on.
Most everyone has left, or is trying to leave that corrupt place!
Wish you luck.

Last edited by city365; 03-11-2011 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city365 View Post
I would avoid Nprth Port at all costs . I sold a home there 1 yr ago and was so happy to be out of there!
I even lost alot of cash on the sale, on a home that I had renovated, but was still happy to be gone.
NP City is very corrupt, the very controversal ex police cheif Terry Lewis, has now been some how made the new city manager. This guy was reported in the media 2 yrs ago, destroying video evidense of his officers at a traffic stop in which they put a mother and her kids in danger. (When Lewis found out a lawsuit was intimet, he destroyed the tape!) Then 1 yr later, it was in the news..NP police failed to respond to a 911 call to a traffic wreck,untill 24 hrs later!(the guy found dead then).( you can hear the recording of their operator getting very rude with the caller just reporting the wreck) I even had to file a compaint against a NP police officer, for a crime against me. I had made a report with him, Officer King, then I had later found out the officer totally lied in the police report at least on 5 different things! Even though I supplyed Cheif Lewis hard eveidense (a recording my survlience system picked up of my actual report and conversation), nothing was ever done to this officer!
Before that I even tried to help fight the crime there myself by reporting appliance theifs evidense I had to NP detectives many times, but they could care less! They never got back to me on that.
Another incident, 1 month after I started renovating a home there, someone dumped a gallon of paint on my vehicle one night, for no reason at all!
Then there is the constant harrassing and fining NP city preforms on it's residents!
A new home owner who just bought a home and was fixing it up across the street from me there got a $100.00 fine when he just moved in... for leaving the trash can out overnite one night!
Also in the news..NP code enforcment took away the home of someone(through court action) just over an old code vilotation of not getting a swimming pool permit, for their small above ground pool. It just gooes on and on.
Most everyone has left, or is trying to leave that corrupt place!
Wish you luck.

Wow thank you for all that! Geez - I am glad you got out!....I will really think twice before we look in North Port!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rgirl21 View Post
Wow thank you for all that! Geez - I am glad you got out!....I will really think twice before we look in North Port!
I live in North Port and am very happy living here. It seems as though the previous poster had some personal issues with the city and it has made them bitter.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM

357 posts, read 783,426 times
what part of fort myers will he be working? fort myers is pretty spread out and traffic within fort myers can suck at times. But if he will be working close to 75, it wont be so bad.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
I also live in North Port, by choice, definitely. North Port went through some hard times in the economic downturn, but it's definitely on the rebound. More stores and restaurants opened in the last 2 years than were here 3 years ago. It's an area of great potential and excellent house values right now. Having said that, if I were working in Ft. Myers, I'd probably move to Lee County, just because of fuel costs. It is a good 40 to 45 minutes away.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rgirl21 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Need some help...my hubby and I are contemplating a major move from Chicago to North Port. My hubby will be working in Fort Myers. How far away is Fort Myers from North Port. He has read MANY info sites saying how deserted North Port is because of the housing bubble. We are considering North Port because of the schools. We have 3 kids (11,9 and 2). Can someone please advise us!

Thank you!
North port is about 30 miles to Fort Myers on I75

Randy L. Biehl, Realtor

Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
I used to live in North Port and liked it there very much. I also taught and substituted in the North Port schools. It has grown quite a bit since I moved here in 2004. There are a lot of shops and restaurants and you aren't far from the beach or Port Charlotte to the mall. But it is definitely a drive to Ft. Myers, especially with the gas prices being so high. If you want to read more information about North Port go to their city web page at www.cityofnorthport.com. You can also read articles in the local newspaper at www.yoursun.com. That is what I did before I moved here from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida