Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 AM

31 posts, read 171,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie166 View Post
If you're not married to the father, your child is illegitimate. If you're living together as a family, why don't you get married and give your son a name...oh, can't do that, you'd lose welfare and Medicaid you're on. Is the father going to pack up and come to Florida with you? Does he have a skill? If you have such a good and close relationship, why is he so okay with you packing up his child and moving away?

I don't have kids. I never wanted any. I don't think kids are wonderful. They tie you down and suck your finances dry. You'll never get ahead now that you have a child to think about. And you better start thinking about the future because in a few years, your child will be in school and you can't just up and move on a whim."
Oh and by the way Im not on welfare or medicaid. I recieve CCDF so I can continue my education and make a name for myself and my son.
Im thinking of the future now. That was the purpose of me coming here; to take the first step by finding an area that sounds like it fits me.
In all truthfulness I probably will be 23 or 24 by the time I even move. My son will be three and wont really be established in any school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM

4 posts, read 60,095 times
I think you have to follow your dreams and live the life you want. Don't depend on others to define you especially when it's obvious they are hateful and bitter, especially when they resent your youth and optimism.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I get very tired of what I call the "Florida Cheerleaders" who don't address things like financial issues. They talk about the beaches and warm weather, anyone who actually lives here knows that you still have to pay your bills.

Waving people on down without bringing up issues like the economy, the cost of living, and some realities is careless.
I actually get very tired of the trolls who jump on anyone potentially moving to the state with negative dialog and preaching about finding a job first, etc.
The economy, the cost of living and other realities are issues everywhere. Most individuals have the ability to compare, create lists, whatever.. to weigh the options. Did it ever occur to any members of the "welcome wagon" that people posting here have thought through the process enough that they've come to this forum for further advice, rather than acting as if they just woke up and had a thought?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
You seem to already have your mind set, despite what people are warning you about Florida. So go ahead and try Florida. Some people have to make their own mistakes. Don't bother posting wanting any more information because you don't seem like you want to hear it any way. Florida is not as cheap as people think. Your money will quickly disappear. What will you do if your current job does not have any openings? Even if they did, they won't necessarily give it to you. I hope you don't think you can just come down without a job and find one easily. I know many people who have been looking for work for several years without luck. One friend finally begged another friend if she could help her get a job at K-Mart. They gave her 4 hours a day, 3 days a week at mininum wage, then after 2 months cut that back to 3 hours a day. You will be competing with hundreds of other applicants.

I wish you and your family luck. You will need it.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 AM

If you would read my posts you would see that I said I would have a job before I moved. And for the woman who said she couldnt imagine her 20 year old doing what im trying to do, I couldnt imagine some of my OWN friends my age AND OLDER! doing what im trying to do because they arent as mature as me. Everyone says Im an old soul. Its insulting that you underestimate me off the bat. I just want to say DUH im going to find a job first. DUH Im going to put my child first. DUH i know its not going to be a peice of cake. Like come on now. Now that THAT is established I would be thrilled to get more feedback from POSITIVE people. Thanks =)
Another question I have is for anyone who has also lived in GA. How do FL and GA compare on as many levels as you can accurately speak on.(Housing, schools, activities, safety, jobs, hospitality, ect.)

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM

And again I probably wont be moving for another 3-4 years probably AFTER I graduate. And after much more research. By looking at the other threads on the FL forum I see the negative feedback i received wasnt anything new.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Some people here forget what it was like to be young and adventurous. They have probably never taken a risk in their lives.

You have plenty of time line here. But in those 3-4 years a lot can and will change on the Florida landscape. Actually, right now, I think a more populated city would be in your sights. Maybe somewhere along the south east coastal areas. Ft. Lauderdale comes to mind. Maybe even Orlanod.

Please disregard the know it all's. They think they are experts on everything and are generally very unhappy people to begin with.

Let this thread die and start a new one in a few months. Your young and you want to grow and experience. GO FOR IT NO MATTER WHAT because life is too short to not live your dreams. You are young enough to be able to correct any deviation in course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydai View Post
And again I probably wont be moving for another 3-4 years probably AFTER I graduate. And after much more research. By looking at the other threads on the FL forum I see the negative feedback i received wasnt anything new.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some people here forget what it was like to be young and adventurous. They have probably never taken a risk in their lives.

You have plenty of time line here. But in those 3-4 years a lot can and will change on the Florida landscape. Actually, right now, I think a more populated city would be in your sights. Maybe somewhere along the south east coastal areas. Ft. Lauderdale comes to mind. Maybe even Orlanod.

Please disregard the know it all's. They think they are experts on everything and are generally very unhappy people to begin with.

Let this thread die and start a new one in a few months. Your young and you want to grow and experience. GO FOR IT NO MATTER WHAT because life is too short to not live your dreams. You are young enough to be able to correct any deviation in course.
Thank you I will take your advice and let this thread die. Ill probably make a new one after I narrow it down to some cities that I myself research and choose instead of just starting with the whole state. I am looking to move more northern FL like Jacksonville or Tallahasse.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:23 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Great, yet another poor single clueless mother in our state...woo hoo...

OK since you've obviously made up your mind to screw up your child's life by moving here, I'll give you some advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydai View Post
I am currently living in Indy and goin to IUPUI here. I do not like it. I mean its great in the summer but im just ready to get away. I have no family here but my mother and the father of my child.
Last year a friend of mine and I decided we were going to move to LA and go to school there. Well that didnt work out and we were back in Indy within months. I am kind of glad I didnt stay because I dont know if that was really my place. But for some reason I just feel like I belong in FL.
I wanted to go out of state for college but i did have my son right before the first semester so i stayed home.
So basically I want to relocate and I think I will be ready in a year or two. I am also currently working on some settlement money from an accident. I have a job at a warehouse now but i am studying nursing and am thinking about home health care aid (nurse).
I have researched a lil on Gainesville and Jacksonville. I would like somewhere with a good university/college and schools and daycares(if you know),safe neighborhoods, fun things to do, it can be at least 1 hour from the beach (preferably), affordable housing especially for a college student like me with a baby boy. I have never been to Florida and never been on my own so I dont know where to start. Ill be 20 this yr btw.
I'm not sure how you'd define "good university" but I'll go with the foursome of FSU/UF/USF/UCF, as those are the best four in the state. Based on your that and your other criteria, you can live in Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater; Orlando metro; Tallahassee; and Gainesville...although the last three are a stretch, as the beach is about an hour away in all of those cases, and the closest beach to Tallahassee, Alligator Point, isn't a fantastic beach. Affordable housing for a student with a child that is in a good neighborhood with good schools may be hard to find. I'd expect to spend at least $900 a month for rent. You might find cheaper than that in Tallahassee and Gainesville, but it'll be surrounded by FT students that don't have kids, and who party a lot. Also, the schools in those areas with student apartments won't be the best.

I wish you'd take the advice on this board and stay where you are. You've never been here, but it feels like it's for you? You should have learned your lesson with the move to LA, but good luck, you'll need it here.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Gee Kevin, seems like EVERY mother I see is a "single mother". Wonder how they got with child being so single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Great, yet another poor single clueless mother in our state...woo hoo...

OK since you've obviously made up your mind to screw up your child's life by moving here, I'll give you some advice...

I'm not sure how you'd define "good university" but I'll go with the foursome of FSU/UF/USF/UCF, as those are the best four in the state. Based on your that and your other criteria, you can live in Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater; Orlando metro; Tallahassee; and Gainesville...although the last three are a stretch, as the beach is about an hour away in all of those cases, and the closest beach to Tallahassee, Alligator Point, isn't a fantastic beach. Affordable housing for a student with a child that is in a good neighborhood with good schools may be hard to find. I'd expect to spend at least $900 a month for rent. You might find cheaper than that in Tallahassee and Gainesville, but it'll be surrounded by FT students that don't have kids, and who party a lot. Also, the schools in those areas with student apartments won't be the best.

I wish you'd take the advice on this board and stay where you are. You've never been here, but it feels like it's for you? You should have learned your lesson with the move to LA, but good luck, you'll need it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida