Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:17 AM

31 posts, read 171,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
She has a plan? She hasn't even been to the state, but says in her first post that it just seems like it's the place to be for her. She then states that she moved to LA and it didn't work out like she expected.

1.)Where's the plan? 2.)Just up and move here, 3.)no job, no clue about where to live, how to get by...4.)she wants to go to college but doesn't know what schools are good?

Adventurous is one thing. Foolhardy is another. She has a child with a father where she lives now, but she wants to just up and move to Florida because it feels like she belongs here?

That's not adventurous, it's irresponsible and selfish.
1.)Well the first part of my plan was RESEARCH which brought me here.
2.)Not planning to 'just up and move' if you read my posts I clearly stated many times I wouldnt be moving this year, or the next... I said probably 3-4 years. Thats alot of time for planning dont you think.
3.) I would not move ANYWHERE without a source of income established. Common sense.
4.) Im looking for first hand experience If I wanted to know which schools were 'good' I can just google that. I thought it be nice to hear it from the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 AM

31 posts, read 171,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
FL is very expensive, lot's of "hidden" gotchas. Really, compare and plan. In this economy it is even harder. Also do try to take advantage of every resource you have. Check out the crime reports app for crime rates. I wouldn't want to discourage you, but just consider why you want to move and really cover your bases. I would definitely check out other states well in all these areas. Job, kid etc... all are alot I am sure you know. Don't under estimate being prepared. You don't want to make a mistake you will regret later. So really think it all through well. Good Luck to you.
I will deff be researching other states as well. Appreciate your advice

Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 AM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Default Tossing in my

2 cents...

For those of you who use the term "illegitimate" child - SHAME ON YOU!!! What do you think? She gave birth to an android? This is a child a REAL person, and you've labeled him with an ugly, archaic term before he's even had a chance to begin his life. I thought we dropped some of these ugly "identifying" words and labels when we stopped using racist words.

Next, there's no reason not to offer helpful suggestions for a young woman in the process of making a life-changing decision. But again, SHAME ON YOU for the ugliness in your tone and the ugly remarks and ASSUMPTIONS. It's absolutely NONE of your business whether she's married or not. You have no right to judge someone and the remarks smack of judgment. Marriage is a personal decision and not always the best thing - especially if there's a child involved. The one positive thing I could see is that it might keep the children of those who made ugly comments, and others like them, from making unkind remarks to the child.

The comments were just ugly and viscious. Makes me ashamed of some of the people my home state has attracted and how it has deteriorated.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
TN Gal Now, when I say that she should stay where she is, I am saying that because I am thinking of her child. That child deserves to have two parents. I grew up as part of a divorced set of parents, and my dad actually lived in Indiana. Do you realize how utterly crappy that was for me, him, and my sister? I saw my dad twice a year, and we grew up in Florida in what would be considered a lower class household because my single mom couldn't do better.

This is an utterly foolish choice, but PC types like you won't call someone out on it.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 AM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Umm, once again, someone making assumptions with no foundation for those assumptions. Yes, I know much more about a situation like this than you know. Unfortunately life is unfair. My own child grew up without her father because I divorced him. Life with him would have been infinitely worse for both of us in that circumstance. Think before you make unfounded assumptions about her - or me.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM

179 posts, read 565,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Gee Kevin, seems like EVERY mother I see is a "single mother". Wonder how they got with child being so single.
SO TRUE!!!! I myself was a divorced mom with 3 children, no child support, worked 2 jobs, and did it. No one said it's easy, but it can be done If someone has their mind focused, and works their a#% off, they can accomplish a lot. I think she sounds like she is doing the research, and is making a game plan. With the fact that she is reaching out for feed back from City Data, shows that she is trying to get feedback from us locals for recommendations for someone that is in her particular situation. She was just providing the details of her situation so we could provide the best advice.
daydai: Just so you know we are pretty much open minded down here and as I just stated that if you have your sites on a goal for you and your son, you are half way there. The Best of Luck to the both of you....

Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
I commend you for being a single mother and trying to make a better life for you and your child. As you can tell from the posts, Floriduhhh is the UN-friendliest state in the world. I know it seems like paradise, but everything you believe it will be, is not. Trust me. Listen to the tone of the people posting, judging you, the snide comments. That will be part of your every day life in Florida. These nasty folks will become YOUR neighbors. Do you want that? Do you want your child to be raised among people with no class, manners, education, values, etc?

Additionally, you will NOT find a job, flipping burgers at McDonalds if you don't speak Spanish in Florida.

Have you considered other states? South Carolina, Illinois, Texas, California. You mentioned Southern California, but have you considered Northern California? It's an entirely different world, and lots of job opportunities. Seattle? Really anything but the nasty folks of Florida.

Please, please pay attention to the entitled, judgemental tone of these fine folks and choose another state. Feel free to send me a PM if you need specifics, but if I were to base it on these posts alone, I would not move to Florida. Ask yourself, would you want your child to grow up and sit on a forum and judge people the way these people do? If the answer is no, then don't move to Florida, north, south, east west.....go to another state.
Larry are you still in the Florida threads??? You are just stuck on us
Don't be a Florida Hater

I think it is just a misconception, that everyone got. Thinking that she was looking for advice for herself, and not for a future move she was contemplating.
And Larry what do you really know about Florida. what people are looking for when they inquire, is the general consenses, not your pesonal bad experience, as the norm. We are always wecome to "NewBees" as was stated. Someone that is trying to move down that is wanting a new start, is comeing here looking to find work, is going to school. Trying to find a place close to every thing with good schools. Why would anyone complain???
She is a functioning addition to our state. We like that, and even if she does have a problem, Western Union has been around for years, and she does have family
The only thing WE frown on is people floating up on our shores!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydai View Post
At first I thought ok they just think Im dumb and immature like many 20 year olds are. Then after I explained my situation even furthur and STILL received snide comments I thought it was just because this thread must be full of old bitter rich people (hehe that might be right) OR they secretly ban together to bash FL and the newbies hoping to move there (lol that might be true also). But you are EXACTLY RIGHT. I mean I was trying to take their behavior with a grain of salt. But if this is the attitude of ALL OF FL. Of course I dont want to raise my son around a bunch of people like this. But I just cannot believe everyone and every place in FL has this type of attitude. I have friends in FL and they love it!...Still researching FL but I was also thinking of GA maybe VA. Cali and Texas are just too west for me if that makes sense(All of my known family are east coast, midwest and south).
I want to say what ever you decide good luck, and it sound like you are very serious about making it work, and I do commend you for doing the research first that is always the way to do it especially before making a major move. Consider taking a vacation, plan some visits, to different areas, before the plunge... a lot of people that you see unhappy with Florida is only because of their bad experiences, and the fact that THEY just moved down and did find out that WE are not really a 24/7 vacation-land, people do have to work, and pay bills, like any other state, And then, they find out our BIG secret (shhhhh, IT GETS HOT AND MUGGY!!) and then they hate the state because they made a major move with-out testing the waters first YOU'LL BE JUST FINE the way you are doing it

Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
What I think some of the others failed to see is that the original poster wasn't thinking of doing this move tomorrow, but down the road when certain goals are met where she is now. But of course, the discontented
immediately go on the attack and basically make judgements on this person without any reason.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your location. If someone is not happy with their current geographical area of residence, their lives could be enriched by changing that geographical area of residence.

Seems to me that some people think that a person can't make it work just because they changed the big one. Their location.

People who have a brain, drive, guts and determination can make it anywhere.

These negative nellies need to understand that not all people are like them nor should they make such broad statements and not attack people because of their current situation.

I could see if this person was asking how they could apply for benefits for herself and her kid since they have nothing and will have nothing but a bus ticket, but that is not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post
SO TRUE!!!! I myself was a divorced mom with 3 children, no child support, worked 2 jobs, and did it. No one said it's easy, but it can be done If someone has their mind focused, and works their a#% off, they can accomplish a lot. I think she sounds like she is doing the research, and is making a game plan. With the fact that she is reaching out for feed back from City Data, shows that she is trying to get feedback from us locals for recommendations for someone that is in her particular situation. She was just providing the details of her situation so we could provide the best advice.
daydai: Just so you know we are pretty much open minded down here and as I just stated that if you have your sites on a goal for you and your son, you are half way there. The Best of Luck to the both of you....

Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
That was a good 2 cents worth. I agree. this is a person who is thinking of making a change in their lives for what could be the better and the Moral Police immediately issue their opinions instead of providing the information requested. Stick to the purpose of the forum, provide information, not to judge people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
2 cents...

For those of you who use the term "illegitimate" child - SHAME ON YOU!!! What do you think? She gave birth to an android? This is a child a REAL person, and you've labeled him with an ugly, archaic term before he's even had a chance to begin his life. I thought we dropped some of these ugly "identifying" words and labels when we stopped using racist words.

Next, there's no reason not to offer helpful suggestions for a young woman in the process of making a life-changing decision. But again, SHAME ON YOU for the ugliness in your tone and the ugly remarks and ASSUMPTIONS. It's absolutely NONE of your business whether she's married or not. You have no right to judge someone and the remarks smack of judgment. Marriage is a personal decision and not always the best thing - especially if there's a child involved. The one positive thing I could see is that it might keep the children of those who made ugly comments, and others like them, from making unkind remarks to the child.

The comments were just ugly and viscious. Makes me ashamed of some of the people my home state has attracted and how it has deteriorated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida