Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
If the intended major of the OP is engineering; it changes the entire picture quite a bit.

First of all, nationwide, Florida does not have 'top' engineering programs. UF & UCF are good...yes. But a Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech...even Texas Tech, they are NOT. So if the go is to really shoot for the stars in engineering....I would suggest to go outside of FL.

Besides UF & UCF...the other state schools with engineering programs are:

FSU
UNF
UWF
FAMU
FGCU
FAU
FIU
(I think I got them all)

I won't bother to rank them into 'tiers'...as in I think that's pretty pointless at this level. But here's my take:

Just about every school listed (besides FSU) is pretty limited in regards to engineering majors offered (i.e. UWF only offers 2...electrical and computer). FAMU is a HBCU, so I wouldn't suggest going there unless you are Black or you want all future employers to assume you're Black (yeah, yeah...non-Black students go to HBCU...but let's be realistic here!). FGCU's engineering program JUST got ABET accreditation...and while I like being in my program there (business), we are talking engineering...and trust me, you don't want to be a pioneering alumni! For what it's worth, while FSU is not a great engineering school, they have a heck of an alumni base. So if you want to eventually work in FL...that can help.

I would not go to UM for engineering. It is too expensive and they aren't really well-renowned for their engineering program. UM is a great school for anything with an 'international' preface or healthcare.....but not engineering.
UF's program stands alone in the state. UCF is probably 40/50 spots behind.

VT doesn't really belong in that list of top schools either. They right there with UF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
I just know that when were comparing some other colleges FAU has become a "real" college so to speak than opposed to years before...they have more out of state applicants I was told from the School when I called then they have in years as well...they are always adding new degree programs and you be bit surprised how "good" the school is becoming...our friends kids from Up North are looking into FAU or FIU as their friends attend FAU and are very happy...UF well their admissions have become impossible and have gotten even more difficult to get into as well, even with a great GPA and SAT score....Our son is looking at Nova University, FAU and Lynn University..

Last edited by Swimmom32; 06-05-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UF's program stands alone in the state. UCF is probably 40/50 spots behind.

VT doesn't really belong in that list of top schools either. They right there with UF.
For the most part I personally disregard national rankings; because of their odd methodologies and other than public perception, it doesn't necessarily speak about the quality of education or the job prospects. I know of several people who went to Virginia Tech for engineering and they are working everywhere (including a girl who I graduated with who is a civil engineer is Oregon). I worked for the College of Engineering at WVU and according to the faculty there, in that region (SW PA, WV, VA, MD), Virginia Tech was pretty much understood to be THE BEST Engineering school (outside of Carnegie Mellon....although CMU really stands out in electrical/computer engineering and computer science specifically).

UF's Engineering school.....when comparing it to the region (Southeast US)...is in the shadow of Georgia Tech's program. UF has magnificent pull within the state of FL. VT....perhaps a bit unfairly, does better because of where it is situated. Close to defense contractors in VA, MD & DC. Also national recognition as being a 'techie' school (like Purdue, or Texas A&M); gives its graduates an edge; nationally at least.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,030 times
College Rankings - Top 50 Ranked Universities in Florida for Highest Overall School Score

2010 rankings-

UF

New College

FSU

UCF

USF

FIU

UNF

FAMU

FAU

UWF

FGCU

Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,030 times
College Rankings - Top 50 Ranked Universities in Florida for Highest Overall School Score

2010 rankings of Florida public state schools

UF

New college

FSU

UCF

USF

FIU

UNF

FAMU

FAU

UWF

FGCU

Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopez2010 View Post

2010 rankings-

UF

New College

FSU

UCF

USF

FIU

UNF

FAMU

FAU

UWF

FGCU
Pretty reasonable rankings, although USF=UCF=FSU, and all are <UF in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida