Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 PM

566 posts, read 2,051,890 times

Advertisements

I order the vaccines (except rabies, of course) and Advantage from drs.foster&smith.com - they are an excellent reputable company & send you a free catalog too. Frontline, Advantage and Advantix one needed an rx once upon a time, but not now. You can get 'em at places like petsmart, petsupermarket or any specialty pet store. I'd rather use Advantix...but it can't be used on my cats or any cat. I order the biggest tubes of Advantage for my small dog & the cats & save tons of money this way - comes out cheaper than the regular flea products out there used in this manner & much more effective. I'd like to clear up that my dog is 25lbs and my cats 8-10lbs so a whole big tube on any one small pet is a big no-no. Only a couple of drops is necessary on each animal. This tip was given to me by a vet (a family member) & it's a convenient/great way to save a ton of money. As all the packages for any size are practically the same price - they only vary a couple of bucks whether it's an 10 b animal or a 100lb animal - so go figure. It can't be done with other brands as most have twist off throw away caps. See Advantage has a snap-on cap & one can put the remainder in an empty film bottle/ or rx bottle in an upright position in a cool dry place.

Forgive me for adding more info. but I have rescued a quite a bit of animals & I'd like to also mention that drs.foster&smith also sells otc antibiotic eye ointments, that are the same sold for humans (we use it on us, too). This company also sells otc medicine for the other types of worms for dogs and cats....including hookworm & all sorts of other things like glucosamine for arthritic pets, etc. Check 'em online.

I thought I'd never hear this but FL is lucky now, like other states, as the rabies vaccine is 3yrs now (started 1/1/2006) - used to be 1yr. Though, make sure you confirm that it's the 3 yr. vaccine cause you might get the 1yr which are still being issued. And yes the heartworm medicines one does need an rx, but there are generics now for a fraction of the cost that do an excellent job.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,024 times
Default heartgard and frontline

Heartgard and Interceptor both have come under a lot of scrutiny as potential
causes of immune medicated hemolytic anemia and immune mediated
thrombocytopenia because they are often the only medications that a pet is
on when these occur. There is no evidence at this time of an increase in the cases
of IMHA or ITP in dogs on these preventatives. That doesn't mean new information
won't come to light at some future time but I honestly do not suspect these medications
as culprits in these diseases.

The topical version (vs. the spray version) of Frontline
has been more successful on long
haired breeds such as collies, for us. If Program
does not control the fleas you might consider
trying this - or using both Program
and Frontline or Advantage.

Last edited by frontline; 10-03-2006 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,628,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Move View Post
I am movng to Florida in a few weeks and am bringing my small dog.
Up here my Vet has given us "Frontline Top Spot" against fleas & ticks.
We also use "Interceptor" against heartworms.
Do you think this should be the same meds to use in Florida?
I Thank You and my little Dog Thanks You for any information!
That is what my 2 dogs use also. Hearworm you need year round here.

my 2 dogs are tiny and don't go out too much so with frontline I do it every 2 months. I also get frontline from either healthpets.com or dr foster. I check outh prices. Last year when they do their shots I ask the vet for the intercetor prescription and i get it from dr foster, which is cheaper than the vet. having 2 dogs it all adds up.

judy

Old 10-03-2006, 12:04 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
We get the Dr Foster catalog in the snail mail every now and then.
Do you have to have an Rx from your regular vet to order meds, or do you just order?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:42 PM

566 posts, read 2,051,890 times
You need an Rx from any vet for the majority of meds that are listed on a special page in the catalog.
However, no Rx's are needed for the flea drops like Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, vaccines, antibiotic ointment (same kind used on us) & wormers including the ones that take care of hookworm. The ones sold at pet specialty places are usually for roundworm only.
I only vaccinate once every 3 yrs and the worming only when needed. I know I'm going to sound nuts to some out there but I don't use heartworm meds. I know it's Florida land of the mosquitoes & they are the culprit. My dog is an inside dog & I have never ever had a problem with heartworm w/any animal, weird isn't it??....Anyway, I don't like to overload my babies too much.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
Frontline and Heartgard will work fine. One word if advice is to pesticide for ticks/fleas/spiders and other bugs around the house (if you have a patio or large lot). This can prevent future problems. Bring the dog records to the new Vet and ask for advice for any local situation(s) that might affect your pet.

Mail orders for the above products are your option and if you order with sufficient time is worth the effort.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,070,626 times
We use the same meds for our small dogs, a cavalier and chinn.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,628,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
We get the Dr Foster catalog in the snail mail every now and then.
Do you have to have an Rx from your regular vet to order meds, or do you just order?
the vet usually will give you a perscription after they are test for heartworm. Dr Foster is real good. Since I have 2 dogs I order 12
tablets, then in another 6 months I order the next 12. It does save money.

judy

Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 PM

389 posts, read 3,532,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
You need an Rx from any vet for the majority of meds that are listed on a special page in the catalog.
However, no Rx's are needed for the flea drops like Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, vaccines, antibiotic ointment (same kind used on us) & wormers including the ones that take care of hookworm. The ones sold at pet specialty places are usually for roundworm only.
I only vaccinate once every 3 yrs and the worming only when needed. I know I'm going to sound nuts to some out there but I don't use heartworm meds. I know it's Florida land of the mosquitoes & they are the culprit. My dog is an inside dog & I have never ever had a problem with heartworm w/any animal, weird isn't it??....Anyway, I don't like to overload my babies too much.

There are actually quite a few people out there that don't use heartworm prevention for their inside pets, though it is still possible for a mosquito to get in the house and infect them or to get bit while going to the bathroom or doing something outside. But, some dog owners would rather not use the prevention because heartworm in dogs is treatable which is not the case with cats, so prevention for cats is doubly important. Though our vets very highly recommend prevention for dogs, if owners choose not to, we just explain the risks and the cost of treatment for an infected animal and let them make the best choice for them. Inside pets are obviously alot less likely to come in contact with any of the other parasites that meds like heartgard prevent, so in that sense, it really isn't necessary. So, though I choose to keep my dogs protected, I don't think that you are crazy as long as you're careful...believe me, I understand the huge costs of having multiple pets, I just like the security of knowing they are protected and I don't have to worry because my dogs play outside alot. In WI we only had to use it half the year, but we still did year round because every once in a while in the middle of winter, we would find one rough and tough rogue mosquito Tough little buggers! And as far as vaccinating every three years, our vets do only vaccinate every 3 years as their normal schedule. There is a 3 yr rabies vacine, and running titers on distemper and parvo, it has been found that the vaccines are still protecting up to 3 years. I think that's good, because I am with you as far as overloading/overmedicating I only like to do what's necessary.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
Thanks for the Dr Foster/Smith info. So even with shipping, it's cheaper?
I agree about not over-medicating pets.
Also, the cost does add up. (We have been a mastiff family for many years, so we know all too well about the $ factor.)
Heartworm seems to be a real issue here. Many pets come into the vet's with heartworm. The vet keeps a jar filled with a tangle of dead heartworms on a shelf in the waiting room, and the nasty sight of it makes the illness seem a lot less abstract.
I have an indoor cat that I do not give any meds to, but I take our dog on regular lo-o-ng walks and he gets Frontline as well as Heartguard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: