Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 17,626 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Gainesville, FL for work this summer and was wondering as an early twenties young professional fresh out of undergrad where to live?

I would rather stay away from being in direct contact with the college lifestyle all of the time and am potentially interested in the downtown area, but have received mixed reviews about living there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

407 posts, read 388,611 times
You will find it very difficult to stay away from the college lifestyle in Gainesville and have a social life as an early twenties person unless you are satisfied living in isolation in a suburban family neighborhood. But really, it's not so bad. If you have to move there make the best of it. Have fun with the college kids. Get your work experience there and if you don't like it, you can always move.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Gainesville might be a tough fit for you. It's dominated by college students and families. You'll probably want to look downtown somewhere. Some of the surrounding areas aren't the greatest but it's all about your perspective and what you are used to.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,608 times
"where to live as a young professional is Gainesville?"....................

Answer: anywhere from New Jersey to the north, the Chigaco area, and around the major cities in California.........for starters.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,950 times
If you are moving here anyway, try going to an extended stay hotel first, get your bearings, and then settle in. You can usually talk to the rental agents and get an idea of the type of residents they have. Another clue is if the apartment complex is advertised in the Independent Florida Alligator, the campus paper, you don't want to live there. Some realtors manage rentals and some apartment complexes are on the internet. You could check them out on line, give them and call and see who they are renting to. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 17,626 times
Thanks for all of the replies!

I have been trying to narrow it to the downtown area of Gainesville, but Im not completely sold on it yet.

Does downtown have a better mix of college students and non students there as far as nightlife and living?

Is it a safe area to live in?

Is downtown dead at night or pretty active?

Its been a while since ive been to Gainesville and last time I was there downtown seemed pretty dead and a little run down. Has the city made strides redeveloping downtown in recent years?

Again thanks for all the information. It makes the moving process a whole lot easier.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
downtown, although compared to other cities in FL, there isn't a huge YP population there. It's mostly college kids, some grad students and families of professors that teach there.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

22 posts, read 68,931 times
Gainesville is great. Downtown is great. I am both a student and have a family. However, I am not stereotypical of either. College students are everywhere but you can avoid the obnoxious ones by not frequenting the same places they go to. I've lived here almost 10 years and have maybe had two bad experiences with the drunk frat type. I also go out with friends a lot so it's not like I am locked up in a house in suburbia.

To answer your direct questions...

Does downtown have a better mix of college students and non students there as far as nightlife and living?

Yes, it is completely mixed. For both living and nightlife. Like I said, it's hard to avoid students. A good percentage of the population are students in some way. There are families living downtown, old people, students, single professionals, professors, you name it. This would be primarily in the duckpond area. It does butt up against some run down areas so if you are thinking of living there and want to avoid the wrong side of the road, I can give you a general square area to look in.

Is it a safe area to live in?

Relatively. If I could afford a 4+ home to buy there I'd move in a heartbeat (living on the NW side of town now) so it's nothing I worry about bringing my kids into. At night for a single woman walking down a dark road might be a bad idea in certain areas. I had a friend get her purse snatched near where some homeless people were hanging out. That's the extent of "bad" that I've encountered.

Is downtown dead at night or pretty active?

The weekends are extremely active. Week nights always have something going on too. What do you like to do/what types of places do you like? I can be specific.

Its been a while since ive been to Gainesville and last time I was there downtown seemed pretty dead and a little run down. Has the city made strides redeveloping downtown in recent years?

How recent? Where exactly were you? Sometimes I wonder if people actually get downtown-downtown.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 AM

49 posts, read 63,072 times
Hi xlylithx!
I just fund this topic. I am considering moving to Gainesville, for my PhD studies.
I have similar concerns as the author of this thread.
I'd be moving with my wife, and looking for a nice place in a more urban, but safe, environment.

You've said that could be more specific on place to living in, have any advice?

A known fellow told me something about "midtown" as well, what is going on there?

Thank you all for the attention! Any information will help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: