Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 AM

125 posts, read 738,521 times

Advertisements

We are down to the final days here in Ohio - headed to Plant City area on Tuesday - my husband is transferring there; not sure if we will live in Plant City or Lakeland, we have to check out the areas. Local movers are coming today to put our stuff in storage - really weird that our whole life can fit in a 10 x 25 storage unit! Once we find a place in Florida, Wheaton Van Lines will move us out of the storage unit and into the new place.

We leave on Tuesday, travelling down 1-71 to 1-95 through West Virginia, Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia and finally Florida, with a F-150 full of stuff and 2 cats - what fun that will be! Hopefully we arrive late afternoon on Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday we have to do the whole licensing of the vehicle and hubby has to get his drivers license - he will be driving for the post office.

I fly back to Ohio on Sunday to finish off work, while hubby stays with his parents in Dade city. He'll fly home Labor Day weekend and we will then drive the second car down... for good.

I'll keep you all posted on the move; the boards have been a great help to me. I am looking forward to calling Floriday my home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 AM

144 posts, read 419,371 times
You sound really excited and I am excited for you.

Be safe and rest when you need to, that drive is not a hop, skip, and jump. Trust me! If you get any kind of energy once you hit SC stop at South of the Border (unless you've been before) you will enjoy it.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,660,999 times
Congrats on your move....

Don't forget to stop and get your cup of OJ at the Welcome Center!!!!

She won't be going by South of the Border, it is way up I-95 North.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 AM

106 posts, read 568,073 times
Default Congrats

I am happy for you not there yet but I will be making that trip in December from NJ I can't wait also moving to central Florida.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Congrats on your move....

Don't forget to stop and get your cup of OJ at the Welcome Center!!!!

She won't be going by South of the Border, it is way up I-95 North.
Oh ok, I guess that's where the I-71 comes in. Well its worth a trip back up once you're rested and settled in.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 PM

156 posts, read 1,063,472 times
How exciting! We just got here to Ocala from NY the beginning of the month. We made the drive in 2 days with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 suv and a huuuge Penske truck. I am glad that trip was over! We stayed in a pet friendly hotel at the border of VA and NC. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,666,297 times
Congratulations! I hope to be making that trip in the next few years, too. Please make sure you give us updates on your progress and let us know how much better it is to be in Florida. All of us stuck in Ohio during the winter will be envious.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
How exciting! We just got here to Ocala from NY the beginning of the month. We made the drive in 2 days with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 suv and a huuuge Penske truck. I am glad that trip was over! We stayed in a pet friendly hotel at the border of VA and NC. Good luck!
How did the dogs do on the trip down? How are they adjusting to the heat during outside time? Just curious. I have a 3yr male beagle and I am not sure how he will adjust during the ride down or living.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 PM

156 posts, read 1,063,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki75 View Post
How did the dogs do on the trip down? How are they adjusting to the heat during outside time? Just curious. I have a 3yr male beagle and I am not sure how he will adjust during the ride down or living.
The ride down was terrible. I felt so bad for them My Pug is really hyper active and used to hanging out the window (while rolling windows up and down and turning blinkers on) so I had to buy a "carseat" for him. Which was just a fancy harness that the seatbelt looped through. He was uncomfortable most of the time and even made his way out of it a couple times. My shih tzu just laid on a pillow in the back seat but you could tell that she was a little car sick. The heat here has been ok- they stay inside most of the day but go for a few walks a day and seem to do fine. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
The ride down was terrible. I felt so bad for them My Pug is really hyper active and used to hanging out the window (while rolling windows up and down and turning blinkers on) so I had to buy a "carseat" for him. Which was just a fancy harness that the seatbelt looped through. He was uncomfortable most of the time and even made his way out of it a couple times. My shih tzu just laid on a pillow in the back seat but you could tell that she was a little car sick. The heat here has been ok- they stay inside most of the day but go for a few walks a day and seem to do fine. Good luck!
Thank you for the info and wishes. It sounds like it was more better than worse. Dogs tend to hide their sickness until they ultimately can't any longer to keep from showing a sign of weakness to other animals. Your shih tzu was a trooper. My drive will be about 13hrs and I wasn't planning to stop any longer that at all or most of the rest stops along the way I do have one of those seat belt harnesses for my dog.

The most he's been in the car was 2hrs to a destination or back from. He is an inside dog who gets walked for an hour each night and then he is allowed in our yard 2-3 times throughout the day. In winter he does not like to stay outside very long and in the summer he rests on the porch in the shade when he's tired of being in the sun.

I dont think he will have a huge problem adjusting because he doesnt have much hair. He will have my sons to keep him company on the drive down as well as toys. So we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida