Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 AM

975 posts, read 3,719,640 times

Advertisements

How conservative is Tampa/St. Pete and Orlando -- since their halfway between Jax and Miami does that make them "moderate"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 09:07 AM

143 posts, read 869,323 times
volusia is very very conservative so is st johns, st agustine and basically anything north of the I4, many good ole boys going around

it's a place where they believe in marriage is a man and woman together

where they believe they can say things without being called a name which they don't care if you do as it speaks volumes about the person name calling

You get what I'm saying so not going to go into except for this

someone asked maybe you the origianl poster about wanting diversity, you were fed up seeing mums go to soccer practise with their kids , families going to church yet someone said Miami

that person replied o no I don't want to go there we don't want to learn spanish

well so much for diversity

diversity is others language, customs, traditions, food etc diversity is not living in a housing association with all the other white dudes and a token black family and the token hispanic family with a gay man.

being gay is not diversity it's just a sexual preference,(gays say all the time their sexual preference is a private mater than well keep it private )
living with all whites in a association is not diversity because you hear someone speaking spanish in the win dixie or publics.

you want diversity go to miami(just got back from there last night)
you want to think you're liberal and love diversity go to palm beach with all the other whites in your housing association so you can hear the odd spanish in the shop
you want to raise your kids like how we were grown up with mum and dad then maybe you might want the north of florida

hope it all works out for you in the end I eally do especially you have kids who will be uprooted, taken from friends and what they know

Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,627,688 times
thanks to everyone for their insight into my need for a big change. i am sorry that i was misunderstood though by most of you. i think i am doing alot of self reflection right now and trying to figure out where in this world i belong. have a feeling that im not going to find many people out there who think like i do. btw, my husband's family lives in a totally different state so im not moving to florida to escape them. also, he would have to learn spanish to work in miami and frankly he isnt interested in learning spanish and probably isnt capable. maybe that's why he is not interested, because he feels it would be too difficult. and my children wont be uprooted from anything since we homeschool and their arent any kids that they are close to. so to end this post i will say thanks again for all your opinions and sorry for all the misunderstandings. i think these forums can really start big miscommunications. i cant even remember anymore why i originally posted!
adios amigos! no hard feelings k?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 PM

143 posts, read 869,323 times
Nic

you take care and hope everything works out plus you find your paradise soon

Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
There are alot of conservatives in Florida. I'm not sure if (in your post) you were saying that you were moving here to get away from that. I kind of get the opposite impression being here. But it could relative. I'm originally from NY so anything outside of that is considered 'conservative' to me.

Care to share what part of Fla you're moving to?
Who's more liberal out of NY, South Florida, or California?

Old 07-29-2007, 09:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
California. Definitely.

Miami is actually slightly conservative on a local level, Broward County is more "indifferent", but tends to favor liberal politics overall/is socially tolerant. Same applies for Palm Beach County, but maybe a tad less socially tolerant. California is SUPER liberal, whereas Broward and Palm Beach residents still generally seem to be fiscally indifferent/socially liberal. On top of that, Californians are far more politically active than South Floridians.

So when you say "liberal" in the way of overall society and tolerance, I say Broward County (And to a lesser extent,PBC) can compete with urban California, but it's not nearly as politically active, and Miami-Dade can not compete. Really, the only socially "liberal" area in Miami is Miami Beach.

As far as California, well, the activism is what wraps it up.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-29-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
California by a longshot, just spend a weekend in SF and you will see.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
California by a longshot, just spend a weekend in SF and you will see.
I agree with San Fransisco ..i have family out there and visited actually for a week there..they are more accepting of "weird" things.....i noticed that no one really stares at anybody out there if you look "weird" and its just a different vibe out there, but i really liked the visit in that area.....i was just posting in respose of that person that said that NY was the most liberal place in the world...yeah it might be more liberal than "alot" of places but there are a few that have NY beat in that category

Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
yeah it might be more liberal than "alot" of places but there are a few that have NY beat in that category
I actually find that New York can be a rather insular city, depending on what neighborhood you are in. There are especially a lot of tensions between the Italian and Black communities. The suburbs are REALLY socially insular. When I came into a suburban area in Broward County, I was stunned to see so many people of different races not so focused on their damn race but as human beings. There is such thing as race here, but in a way, economic class really rules superior, since there are so many different types of people in every economic class here. Some areas like Wilton Manors are probably the most accepting in the nation, they were the second city to have openly gay city council members only to West Hollywood, CA. Then again, you have the homophobic Mayor Naugle, who loves to throw taxpayer money down the "toilet" (long story on that one,remember what I was saying about activism?!?!?).

Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,917,213 times
Yea I've never been to California but from what I've heard (and from what I'm hearing) I'd have to say it takes the cake. Well all anyone can do is live where you feel most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida