Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Well, I am not on SSD or SSI and I dont make 60k, dont have a 3k sq ft house nor do I drive new cars. We have a 98 Toyota Corolla and a 2000 S-10 pick up. I have no medical insurance, so all of it comes out of my pocket. I am diabetic, have hypertension, and early stages of heart disease.

I think the big reason we are in Afghanistan is things like lithium and other
naturally occurring minerals that we want control over. Not to mention, if the poppy growers werent there, we'd loose thousands of jobs. A lot of people in the "war on drugs" depend on those drugs coming here or they wouldnt have a job.

Iraq, oil. We want control of the oil.

Sometimes we've got to look at the big picture to understand why government does what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I am on SSDI and I have cut back in many ways. I don't make 60K plus anymore and live in a 3000sq. ft house, or drive new cars.

So my wife and I moved back to where I grew up in Nebraska from Indiana and live in a 850sq. ft. house and drive 16 yr old cars. I make more than the average but then I made more when I was working. It is still hard and I have to pay 250/mo for physical thearpy that medicare does not.

We have not had a cost of living adjustment for 2 yrs and now none for next yr either. I AM NOT complaining and am greatful for what I get and enjoy the laid back lifestyle that I left 30 yrs ago.

If I got any more cuts it would be hard to make up the differance with my wife's income.

You say we can't afford it, then how can we bomb the heck out of Iraq and go back in and rebuild the infastructure (sp) with no money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,787 times
Disabled, smishabled.........75% of the people I know on disabilty are mowing their lawn, busting up concrete driveways, chopping wood, up on the roof, etc.

Here's what Gov. Scott needs to do........ load up an armored truck full of cash and open the back doors with a fan blowing $100 bills out in every street in the State of Florida and all the sudden you'll see the so called disabled drop their canes and catapult from their wheelchairs so fast it'll make your head spin.

Reminds me of an old "All in the Family" episode where Archie is faking a back injury to get out of shooting pool so he wouldn't lose to a female billiard ace. The bartender threw a $10 bill on the floor near the pool table and he bent over effortlessly to snatch it..........busted.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Disabled, smishabled.........75% of the people I know on disabilty are mowing their lawn, busting up concrete driveways, chopping wood, up on the roof, etc.

Here's what Gov. Scott needs to do........ load up an armored truck full of cash and open the back doors with a fan blowing $100 bills out in every street in the State of Florida and all the sudden you'll see the so called disabled drop their canes and catapult from their wheelchairs so fast it'll make your head spin.

Reminds me of an old "All in the Family" episode where Archie is faking a back injury to get out of shooting pool so he wouldn't lose to a female billiard ace. The bartender threw a $10 bill on the floor near the pool table and he bent over effortlessly to snatch it..........busted.

YouTube - A Christmas Carol -- Ignorance & Want

Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok, I will keep an eye out for the next article about their evacuation. (I won't need to, it will make Yahoo's first page I am sure just like this one)

It would be nice if that was true in practice. But sadly I am not holding hope knowing how this Gov works.

[color="DarkRed"]Gov. Rick Scott's proposed budget: By the numbers

$65.9B: Total spending proposed, $4.6 billion less than current year's budget
That was not his proposed budget, it was bullet points that a newspaper or website thought would grab attention that you then cut and pasted to make comments on.

You have not even bothered to look at the proposed budget to see where the cuts are coming from in each sector. Are the cuts in executive positions, funds that were supplied by a one year federal stimulus?

Just keep on believing everything newspapers and websites tell you.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Are you trying to tell us that the newspapers that are thrown every day on our driveways are lying to us?! Those were the highlights! pretty clear as to where it is going, and also those are the things that matter to people! that affect their daily lives and buying power!

If you get laid off, your buying power is gone. Period. A business of any sort will not thrive without "buyers", therefore creating more foreclosures and unemployed ppl will NOT help any business tax brakes or not.

That's LOGIC 101

If you are DISABLED and are laid off or evicted from the home you live together with other disabled ppl, well.....in that can you may be DEAD in the streets! That alone says a lot about how US is "carrying" for it's people!

I am not going to read page 50,000 paragraph 23, line 2 to read that some exec in some skyscraper will be fired at some point....those were the highlights affecting the actual PEOPLE and which MATTER to the average Joe! What happens at exec levels is pure crap, I am not "worried" about the people who make $200,000 a year and have tons and tons of savings plus nannies and gardeners! homes, cars paid off etc etc etc those will bounce right back, they'll take a vacation to the Bahamas and come back all fresh, call "X" and get a job in 24 hours! in the mean time, the rest of the Joe's are unemployed for years while the disabled are not able to be employed and if some do, they get paid NOTHING. Please show me a disabled person making $200,000 a year! (I am sure you'll find 2 or 3....) Let's dig Google and see how many we can find. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
That was not his proposed budget, it was bullet points that a newspaper or website thought would grab attention that you then cut and pasted to make comments on.

You have not even bothered to look at the proposed budget to see where the cuts are coming from in each sector. Are the cuts in executive positions, funds that were supplied by a one year federal stimulus?

Just keep on believing everything newspapers and websites tell you.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The problem I see here is the narrow minded "ME ME ME" attitude of people.
You know, this particular statement just irks me to no end. These cuts are not going to affect my family in any way. My oldest daughter was severely disabled and that's why I understand what it means to live that way, but she's not with me anymore (she died in 2006). The only "services" she ever got was additional health care that we paid a premium for anyway. Without that, we would have been unable to care for her. It was more than therapy, it was g-tube placement, repeated hospitalizations, PET scans, CT scans, medication, braces for her legs, a wheelchair, etc. My son has autism, but we've never received any sort of services for him that we didn't pay out of pocket. Never asked, either.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with anything affecting my own family and everything to do with right and wrong. Maybe it's different for others, but I have a feeling this is what it boils down to for most people.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Well, I am not on SSD or SSI and I dont make 60k, dont have a 3k sq ft house nor do I drive new cars. We have a 98 Toyota Corolla and a 2000 S-10 pick up. I have no medical insurance, so all of it comes out of my pocket. I am diabetic, have hypertension, and early stages of heart disease.
What a shame. Nobody should have to choose between financial ruin and their health. You sound like you are only a few serious hospital stays away from making that exact choice. I wish you well and hope your health stays good. I know my parents would have been toast if it weren't for their insurance and VA coverage. Matter of fact, I know people whose parents are not insurable and literally have refinanced their house to cover the bills.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
A LOT of people in the US have to make this choice every day!

We are in the same boat, can't afford any health insurance.....employers don't give a crap about it, the Gov doesn't see fit to regulate the private ones to not extort people and so on.....This is not "capitalism", this is flat out EXTORTION!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Quote:
Role of government
Further information: Competition regulator, Consumer protection, and Competition law

In a capitalist system, the government does not prohibit private property or prevent individuals from working where they please. The government does not prevent firms from determining what wages they will pay and what prices they will charge for their products. Many countries, however, have minimum wage laws and minimum safety standards.

Under some versions of capitalism, the government carries out a number of economic functions, such as issuing money, supervising public utilities and enforcing private contracts. Many countries have competition laws that prohibit monopolies and cartels from forming. Despite anti-monopoly laws, large corporations can form near-monopolies in some industries. Such firms can temporarily drop prices and accept losses to prevent competition from entering the market, and then raise them again once the threat of entry is reduced. In many countries, public utilities (e.g. electricity, heating fuel, communications) are able to operate as a monopoly under government regulation, due to high economies of scale.

Government agencies regulate the standards of service in many industries, such as airlines and broadcasting, as well as financing a wide range of programs. In addition, the government regulates the flow of capital and uses financial tools such as the interest rate to control factors such as inflation and unemployment.[50]

Now look at wages and look at insurance premiums (how they grow without any justification) and see the discrepancies! and why people on a $30k end up on medicaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
What a shame. Nobody should have to choose between financial ruin and their health.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
A LOT of people in the US have to make this choice every day!

We are in the same boat, can't afford any health insurance.....employers don't give a crap about it, the Gov doesn't see fit to regulate the private ones to not extort people and so on.....This is not "capitalism", this is flat out EXTORTION!
Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now look at wages and look at insurance premiums (how they grow without any justification) and see the discrepancies! and why people on a $30k end up on medicaid!
I agree, though I thought at first you were trying to justify Spring's unfortunate situation by saying "Hey we're all in the same boat," then I realized you were lamenting the same sick situation I (and he most likely) was. I agree with you 100% that what we see from major companies eliminating benefits, cutting wages, combining positions, while reaping huge profits and enjoying lavish tax breaks, is not capitalism. I'm all for profits and big CEOs being able to get wealthy, but not at the expense of those who make your profits possible. For all the talk from big business and the right about self-sufficiency, they sure do RELY on a lot of people who live charity by giving 40+ hours of their life each week for a non-livable wage.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

I think the big reason we are in Afghanistan is things like lithium and other
naturally occurring minerals that we want control over. Not to mention, if the poppy growers werent there, we'd loose thousands of jobs. A lot of people in the "war on drugs" depend on those drugs coming here or they wouldnt have a job.

Iraq, oil. We want control of the oil.

Sometimes we've got to look at the big picture to understand why government does what it does.

You have no medical coverage through your job? You have had the same office job I believe in a law firm for a few years and you think that this acceptable that they offer no benefits?

That would be unheard of in other states.

I have never had a job in CA or OR that didn't come with medical coverage.

Although I disagree with you often, I honestly hope you don't run into a major health problem because that could ruin you financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida