Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I just love how you make things up to suit your needs. If is called the Futile Care Act because it comes in to play when doctors think it is futile to keep a patient alive artificially not because the patient is a financial burden.

The case where the baby's mother pleaded with the state to let her baby live, he lived for 5 months on a respirator, probably cost taxpayers $100's of thousands all when they knew he had a disease with no cure and no treatment and had maybe a few months to live in pain, on respirators and tubes sucking fluid out of his lungs.
Trust me, had she had the money, they would have let that baby live for many more months with no consideration of pain, or lung sucking tubes. Clearly, the unpaid bill was the real issue here, you admitted it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I just love how you make things up to suit your needs. If is called the Futile Care Act because it comes in to play when doctors think it is futile to keep a patient alive artificially not because the patient is a financial burden.

The case where the baby's mother pleaded with the state to let her baby live, he lived for 5 months on a respirator, probably cost taxpayers $100's of thousands all when they knew he had a disease with no cure and no treatment and had maybe a few months to live in pain, on respirators and tubes sucking fluid out of his lungs.
I "make things up?" So when the husband of Terri Schiavo, who sat by her side for 7 years, was told by doctors she'd never recover and was only being kept alive by a feeding tube, the same people who supported the Futile Care Act called him a murderer and protested in front of the nursing home. Why? Maybe it's the same reason that, when Bristol Palin got pregnant in high school and didn't marry the father, she got paid millions for speaking engagements and was called a "role model" for teenagers, but when a poor girl in a low-income neighborhood has the same experience, she's a wh*re.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 PM

146 posts, read 225,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Disabled residents may lose homes in state cuts - Local - BradentonHerald.com

This guy (sick scott) would have been hanged in the public market anywhere else for pulling this crap with the most vulnerable people!
Make no mistake about it, we are engaged in a full-blown political and intellectual war in this country between two mutually exclusive set of ideologies.

On one side, Rick Scott, John Boehner, and those like them are essentially acolytes of Ayn Rand. At its core, they frown upon any government above and beyond the military, the police, and the courts (i.e., the government that is needed to protect private property rights.) To these types, everything that is not the military, the poilce, and the courts should be handled by the "free market." Old, sick, and can't get private insurance? Too bad. Severely disabled and can't get a job? Too bad. Unable to afford to send your children to private school? No education for them! Your job was outsourced to China because the CEO was looking to boost profits and hand himself a fat bonus? Vive la laissez-faire!

Those on the other side gave this country universal public schooling, paved roads, Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, the end to child labor, and on and on - all of them in violation of "free market principles."

The ideology of Scott and Boehner - an unrestrained idolatry of the free market and greed - is a cancer, pure and simple. And it can only be sustained so long as sheltered, ignorant middle class fools continue to believe that they are immune from its consequences, that so long as they "work hard and spend wisely", they will never be stomped by the boots of the free market. And then they have the audacity to wonder how it all went wrong, when they find themselves jobless and with a sick chick, debt collectors calling and bills stacking up, even though they did everything right in the eyes of the free market gods.

Ignorance, for these folks, is bliss indeed!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Make no mistake about it, we are engaged in a full-blown political and intellectual war in this country between two mutually exclusive set of ideologies.

On one side, Rick Scott, John Boehner, and those like them are essentially acolytes of Ayn Rand. At its core, they frown upon any government above and beyond the military, the police, and the courts (i.e., the government that is needed to protect private property rights.) To these types, everything that is not the military, the poilce, and the courts should be handled by the "free market." Old, sick, and can't get private insurance? Too bad. Severely disabled and can't get a job? Too bad. Unable to afford to send your children to private school? No education for them! Your job was outsourced to China because the CEO was looking to boost profits and hand himself a fat bonus? Vive la laissez-faire!

Those on the other side gave this country universal public schooling, paved roads, Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, the end to child labor, and on and on - all of them in violation of "free market principles."

The ideology of Scott and Boehner - an unrestrained idolatry of the free market and greed - is a cancer, pure and simple. And it can only be sustained so long as sheltered, ignorant middle class fools continue to believe that they are immune from its consequences, that so long as they "work hard and spend wisely", they will never be stomped by the boots of the free market. And then they have the audacity to wonder how it all went wrong, when they find themselves jobless and with a sick chick, debt collectors calling and bills stacking up, even though they did everything right in the eyes of the free market gods.

Ignorance, for these folks, is bliss indeed!
You did a nice job depicting the extremes, but I think a lot of us get stuck in between this wrecking ball that swings left, then right, left then right. It's shameful that we elected Democrats and Republicans and expect them to work together, balance each other out, and keep us balanced and not too extreme on either side but get a government shutdown because 2 groups of adults can't compromise. You are spot on about greed and what it does to people and I think you might wanna add that they hate the government unless it's regulating morality, or using it to confiscate the people's money (taxes) that should be returned to the people (public services) but instead give it to major corporations (tax breaks).

Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 PM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Default What a hypocrite

[quote=Spring Hillian;18613912]That the problem. Pre existing conditons. It would run me about $600 a month for the high deductible plans. As you are they hear "HTN" they don't want to talk to you anymore. I never got as far as telling one I was diabetic too.

Everything I own (viturally everything) is in a irrevocable living trust. The house, the retirement funds, even my car. I keep very little cash around.

If it hit the fan, I would let medicaid pick it up. Just like the immigrants (illegal and legal) who do it all the time. The key is to appear "poor".[/quote]

I read this entire post and, at least in my opinion, Spring Hillian has hung himself with his own words

It appears that you have no problem pointing your ugly, pompous finger at OTHER people receiving state and/or federal assistance as long as they are fat, black, hispanic, smokers, or drug dealers - or any other minority you deem unworthy. You propose that cuts have to be made by EVERYONE, but you've made sure that if necessary, you'll accept the help but won't contribute. I suppose you think that any taxes you've paid in prior years entitles you to any and all assistance you need/want in future years... Apparently, you make the judgment that if someone is doing something illegal and morally reprehensible, then it's ok for you to do it too...

Your true colors show when you admit that if medically "it hit the fan" you would allow Medicaid to step up and pay your medical bills because, wise person that you are, you have taken the proper steps by (presumably) paying an attorney to place your assets in an irrevocable trust. Ohh, now I remember...someone said you worked at a law firm, so you should be well aware of how to work the system.

Now, lest anyone here not be aware, this means that all the other folks (without benefit of putting their assets in an irrevocable trust) who receive Medicaid assistance risk having a lien attached to their property as payment for medical/nursing home services rendered for which they cannot pay. After their death (and after the death of the surviving spouse if there is one) the property is sold, the expenses incurred are paid, and if anything is left over it goes to the heirs. A fairly reasonable, albeit financially painful for the recipient, way to recover a portion of government expenses for those unable to pay.

However, SH evidently is familiar with how the system works and just like those he so harshly condemns here, he deems that, "should it hit the fan," he has no personal responsibility to pay his own catastrophic medical expenses through financial ability OR estate recovery. It appears he's taken great care to be able to manipulate the system if the need ever arises - for HIM. I guess it just never occurred to him that he might need to use his own retirement funds, sell his own property, or lose any of his own property to pay for his own care...

Now, if that's not a ME, ME, ME attitude, I don't know what is

SH, you are a joke. Just like so many others, you make wildly opinionated and ugly statements about those receiving assistance. Stand in judgment of others, setting yourself up as generally better than they are and are eager to pull their assistance at first opportunity. Yet if faced with your own personal adverse medical conditions you readily admit that YOU will step up and accept the same assistance AND have even gone so far as to protect your assets so that nothing you own can be applied to any expenses paid on your behalf. What a hypocrite

Given your currrent health situation, your emotional balance that appears to be really angry and out of kilter regarding an appearance of extreme lack of compassion for those less fortunate than you, you are likely to be at huge risk of finding out just how effective your plan is to work the Medicaid system "if it hits the fan." If that should ever happen, please take the time to post your own personal experiences about coverage, benefits, and all the wonderful treatment you suggest is given to others that will then be given to you.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quite a rant there TN Gal.

Irrevocable Living Trust are perfectly legal. They've been around since the middle ages.

First of all, I am not pointing any thing at anybody. All I stated is that the faucet that runs money is/has run dry. If there are not cuts, there will be no services anymore. But the people who are currently receiving benefits can't see that picture. That's where the ME ME ME attitude I see is bothersome. The thinking is very short term. By short term I mean now.
They are not looking at the future overall and can't accept the fact that
the system is broken and there is simply no other way but to cut payments across the board and do something else that everybody is going to flip over, and that is to raise taxes for everyone.

I do not deem ANYBODY unworthy. Since you do not know me personally, would wouldn't know what I think or do in my life.

I don't want anything unless I need it. When/if I need it. Why shouldn't I want it? I grew up seeing a lot of people getting things they did not work for and the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those people are still on the dole. So will their children and on and on for generations to come.

You even have CONGRESSMEN (Rangel) using the benefits meant for those who need it and he got away with it. You have rich farmers collecting subsides NOT TO grow crops to keep the prices high due to supply/demand. I see immigrants coming to my country with their hands out and they get them filled. I've never asked the "system" for anything and have never received anything from it. I guess I am banking my entitlement.

I do nothing illegal or morally reprehensible. I pay my taxes on my salary, my home, my car etc. I just can't get medical insurance even if I wanted to due to "pre existing conditions" at any price unless I go to one of those "catastrophic plans". I take care of myself so I keep my diabetic condition under control. I exercise to keep my heart healthy. I gave up smoking years ago. I eat a very simple diet to prevent problems. So how does that make me a bad guy?

Many many seniors have ILT's. That protects their assets from seizure and leaves it for their heirs. It's quite normal and you DO NOT need a lawyer to do it. You can write your own, there are plenty of examples on the internet.

I condemn no one. All I said is that I agree with the people who are saying we need cuts now or everything will disappear and there will be nothing for any one. What would you rather see? Cuts or disappearance?

Tonight the federal government may shut down. It may not. Most states are on the verge of bankruptcy. They don't have it to spend it.
I've never seen a state go under. What happens then? I would think any and all public services will stop dead in their tracks.

The person who stated I work or have worked at a law firm is incorrect. I've been in marketing for over 30 years. I help companies bring their product to the forefront through advertising, product development and public relations.

I've paid and continue to pay social security taxes for 35 years. I probably won't see a dime of it given back to me as the system is broke. It's drained. I knew that was coming 20 years ago so I took the necessary steps to protect the little I have and what I have earned over the years.

I have and still do a great deal of volunteer work. I have been involved with Hospice programs, mentoring young people, I have even read to the blind. I regularly donate to 2 charities. I am a member of the local CERT.
I am at car accidents, fires, anywhere the police/fire department requires assistance in traffic control and crowd contorl. Ive volunteered at animal shelters, natural disasters such as Katrina, Hurricane Andrew in Homestead. I am at homeless programs EVERY Thanksgiving dishing out food. Back in the day I volunteered at programs for disadvantaged youth, helped at group homes for mentally and physically challenged so don't go blasting you fingers off about compassion.

Manipulate the system? Come now. As I stated above ILT's are not new secret vehicles. The original idea was to keep the King from taking a persons estate in the event of misfortune. It still works today.

So, next time, don't make such nasty commentary about someone unless you know the whole story.

Look in the mirror and see what kind of person YOU are before slamming others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now;
I read this entire post and, at least in my opinion, Spring Hillian has hung himself with his own words :p

It appears that you have no problem pointing your ugly, pompous finger at OTHER people receiving state and/or federal assistance as long as they are fat, black, hispanic, smokers, or drug dealers - or any other minority you deem unworthy. You propose that cuts have to be made by EVERYONE, but you've made sure that if necessary, you'll accept the help but won't contribute. I suppose you think that any taxes you've paid in prior years entitles you to any and all assistance you need/want in future years... Apparently, you make the judgment that if someone is doing something illegal and morally reprehensible, then it's ok for you to do it too...:think:

Your true colors show when you admit that if medically "it hit the fan" you would allow Medicaid to step up and pay your medical bills because, wise person that you are, you have taken the proper steps by (presumably) paying an attorney to place your assets in an irrevocable trust. Ohh, now I remember...someone said you worked at a law firm, so you should be well aware of how to work the system.

Now, lest anyone here not be aware, this means that all the other folks (without benefit of putting their assets in an irrevocable trust) who receive Medicaid assistance risk having a lien attached to their property as payment for medical/nursing home services rendered for which they cannot pay. After their death (and after the death of the surviving spouse if there is one) the property is sold, the expenses incurred are paid, and if anything is left over it goes to the heirs. A fairly reasonable, albeit financially painful for the recipient, way to recover a portion of government expenses for those unable to pay.

However, SH evidently is familiar with how the system works and just like those he so harshly condemns here, he deems that, "should it hit the fan," he has no personal responsibility to pay his own catastrophic medical expenses through financial ability OR estate recovery. It appears he's taken great care to be able to manipulate the system if the need ever arises - for HIM. I guess it just never occurred to him that he might need to use [B
his own[/b] retirement funds, sell his own property, or lose any of his own property to pay for his own care...

Now, if that's not a ME, ME, ME attitude, I don't know what is

SH, you are a joke. Just like so many others, you make wildly opinionated and ugly statements about those receiving assistance. Stand in judgment of others, setting yourself up as generally better than they are and are eager to pull their assistance at first opportunity. Yet if faced with your own personal adverse medical conditions you readily admit that YOU will step up and accept the same assistance AND have even gone so far as to protect your assets so that nothing you own can be applied to any expenses paid on your behalf. What a hypocrite

Given your currrent health situation, your emotional balance that appears to be really angry and out of kilter regarding an appearance of extreme lack of compassion for those less fortunate than you, you are likely to be at huge risk of finding out just how effective your plan is to work the Medicaid system "if it hits the fan." If that should ever happen, please take the time to post your own personal experiences about coverage, benefits, and all the wonderful treatment you suggest is given to others that will then be given to you.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Trust me, had she had the money, they would have let that baby live for many more months with no consideration of pain, or lung sucking tubes. Clearly, the unpaid bill was the real issue here, you admitted it yourself.
Then it would have been her money, not taxpayer money, and she would have made the choice. I can pretty much guarantee if the doctor said "We can keep the baby alive for maybe 5 more months and it will cost you the last $500,000 you have in your bank account but there is no way the baby will live longer than a year", then her tune would have changed to, "I don't want my baby to be in pain".

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I "make things up?" So when the husband of Terri Schiavo, who sat by her side for 7 years, was told by doctors she'd never recover and was only being kept alive by a feeding tube, the same people who supported the Futile Care Act called him a murderer and protested in front of the nursing home. Why? Maybe it's the same reason that, when Bristol Palin got pregnant in high school and didn't marry the father, she got paid millions for speaking engagements and was called a "role model" for teenagers, but when a poor girl in a low-income neighborhood has the same experience, she's a wh*re.
Seriously?
i will stand by my statement that you make things up.
Can you post any evidence that the same people that supported the Futile Care Act were calling him a murderer?
And what the hell does a kid getting pregnant have to do with anything?
If some idiots are stupid enough to pay her for speaking engagements then should should certainly take the money.
Don't try and make it seem like the reality show watching morons are the whole of our society.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Thank you for another fine personal attack. Let's get back to the original issue. Cuts in spending. The government has just decided this evening to cut billions. Thankfully so. Not only in FL as the original poster states with the insane statement "Don't move here if you're disabled in anyway".

The budget cuts are going to affect everyone, in every state in the union.

For your information, legalized prostitution only exists in ONE state, Nevada and only a few very isolated Counties in Nevada has it. Please think before making such ridiculous statements.

I stand by my original statement. The faucet is dry. Its time for cuts and the Congress of the US has made it so.

As far as my future health care costs, there is nothing that modern medicine can do for me. There is there is no cure for diabetes. There is nothing that the government is going to have to do for me now or in the future. I am self sufficient, are you?

I have provided for myself all these years and I will continue to do so. I don't foresee any need for medical care that I won't be paying for out of my pocket as I have for years so your tirade against me is totally unwarranted.

Yes. I am for cuts across the board. I have not ever singled out the handicapped.

Maybe you are one of those who DO collect from the government and are personally P.O.'ed that there is going to be cuts in those handouts and that is what is causing your anger. A lot of people will be crying in their soup because the cuts are going to happen now and more in the future. Get used to it. The gravy train has fallen off the tracks.

You have made your comments about me and my decisions in my life.
I do not understand why. Jealousy perhaps. Another one of the "have nots" attacked the "haves".

Yes, abortion is perfectly legal and needs to stay that way so that more unwanted children are not brought into this world only to become burdens upon the government.

Tell us what you have given. Probably nothing, nada and nil. Probably don't even work. I know you will never state what you have taken.

Pack that in your pipe and smoke it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
thou doth protest too much...defending what a fine, moral person you are. Your comments on this thread alone certainly paint you in an ugly light from my point of view and if you feel the need to "toot your own horn" regarding your volunteer work and what a fine upstanding citizen your are - then go for it. I'm not impressed. My conclusions about you were drawn purely from your comments here and, believe me, I have NO desire to personally know you.

I never implied that trusts are illegal or that you had any illegal intent. Legal and MORAL are quite different positions. And I suspect that if you want to debate that, we need look no further than to mention that abortion is legal. If you're all ok with abortion, I can probably find a dozen other issues that are legal, but morally questionable. And that thought brings to mind your prior comments regarding a hooker - which is legal in some states.

My opinion is that I find you morally represehsible in that cloak yourself in what is legal to keep from using your money to pay your own medical expenses, yet you're quite ok with funding cuts that potentially cost a handicapped person their home. I'm guessing that if they'd had the ability to have a "real" job they would probably be eager to contribute their last dime toward their care and expenses. Why shouldn't you use your own money to pay for your expenses? You think that because someone else didn't work and gets a benefit that absolves you of your responsibliity and you should get the same benefit? Entitled? I think that's the mentality of many criminal minds - I'm not making any accusations about you. But you're walking a slippery slope when you start making comments about your entitlement.

Out of the other side of your mouth your position regarding lost funding for the handicapped who are in jeopardy of losing their homes appears to be "too bad - too sad" someone has to lose something, cuts have to happen. YET, you will not have anything on the line if and when the time comes for what you need . I don't see you volunteering to help the system by paying your fair share. You've determined that because you had the intelligence and fortitude to work, the benefit of making enough that you were actually able to save money, that somehow "entitles" you to not have to use that money to pay your way and you're justified because it's "legal."

And how is it that government has determined that the big expenses - the "pork" - is the money spent on education, homes for handicapped, Head Start, and other programs for poor CHILDREN?

Buddy, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Pontificate about something that you can take an absolute stand on and not be ready to plop to the other side and "legally" benefit from what your pontificating against.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Mike,
Why on earth should anyone have to make the choice between money and trying everything possible to save their baby's life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida