Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 PM

87 posts, read 363,453 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm taking a year off -- a kind of sabbatical to rebuild health and energy-- and I have enough money to live somewhere sunny for a year. (CA is out). I've heard Florida is scorching hot in the summer, but I'm still considering it---it seems like it will have a more diverse and cosmopolitan population than my other option, North Carolina (not to bash NC, it's very beautiful but I've lived in NYC and Seattle and am afraid NC might feel a little too homogeneous). I like the diversity of DC, but need to get out of here for awhile.

I can spend about $1500-$2000 a month on rent and would like to live in a place that has easy access to holistic doctors and grocery stores like Whole foods.

I lived in NYC, so I don't need that pace---but I also don't want to live in a retiree area either. I'm 40 and would like to be around a mix of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc (and a mix of races).....I've heard Orlando is nice.

I thought perhaps Ft. Lauderdale.

I considered Jacksonville, but a friend who lives in FLA says "don't go there, there's nothing there." And I then suggested Daytona Beach and was told that's not a great place either because it is "white trash."

Now I'm just a middle class guy with health problems! So I don't really need to be in a super yuppie area, just a safe and preferably nice one. I've heard the Miami area is very "showy" (another generalization) and I would prefer a less "money/high fashion/perfect body" vibe. Feel free to put me in my place if I'm off base.

Being near the beach would be a plus.
My friend also says don't move here without spending a week when it's really hot. Is every part of Florida scorching hot in the summer? What if you can find a place right off the beach? Is there a breeze? Are there affordable beach areas in the price range of $1500-$2000 (including a parking space)?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Hubcap_halo; 04-09-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,757,128 times
Tampa.

The heat-while I haven't been everywhere in the summer, I think the general consensus will be it is hot and humid everywhere.

There are breezes towards the coast but they diminish as you move inland. Orlando is stagnant.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:45 AM

87 posts, read 363,453 times
Default Thank you.....

Any more thoughts, Good Floridians?

I'm leaning toward Orlando, because it's a good sized city and not too far from the Atlantic. And cheaper than DC! I can't find a furnished apt here with a 6 mo lease with parking that's within 30 minutes of the city for less than 2k! I lived in nice parts of Brooklyn for less!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,052,156 times
Have you checked out St Augustine?Pensacola Tallahassee, St Petersburg? or Arizona or California?
As far as heat goes its about the same over most of Florida May-November Highs in the low 90's with humidity levels at about the same % numbers.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM

255 posts, read 754,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo View Post
Any more thoughts, Good Floridians?

I'm leaning toward Orlando, because it's a good sized city and not too far from the Atlantic. And cheaper than DC! I can't find a furnished apt here with a 6 mo lease with parking that's within 30 minutes of the city for less than 2k! I lived in nice parts of Brooklyn for less!
Hi Hubcap

I have lived here in Central Florida not far from Orlando for the past 15 years and have had my fill of the area. I have been contemplating a relocation within our state for a few months so I have been investigating a few areas of possible interest now that I know what is needed to live comfortably (IMO).

Although Florida is not exactly the heaven most imagine it being when they decide to ditch the snow pants, congestive traffic, high cost of living and general fast pace, dog-eat-dog lifestyle that many of the Northeastern states generally entail... Florida has it's troubles just like anywhere else; however, it has many perks that sometimes outweigh the annoyances.

Florida is a tourist STATE, that means no matter where you choose to inhabit you can expect to find people visiting from all over, transplanting from all over and dual living from other states. This can be nice as long as you remember Florida's economic stability relies on these people. It is also EXTREMELY HOT and HUMID most of the year but you expect that because we are a TROPICAL state and that is what most people are drawn to in the first place To live in such a warm climate I found it helpful to have a house/apt. with a pool (preferrably with a screen to keep the bugs out), otherwise life can be unbearable after a few weeks. On those warm summer nights when your clothes feel like they have become your second skin and the bugs are eyeing you like a T-Bone steak that pool is a wonderful treat! You can pretty much cook out year round which is also nice and if you live near a beach you can take advantage of some of the most spectacular sunsets and night time viewing, relaxing and entertainment since we are a tourist state there is usually something going on. The cost of living is less expensive than many northern states but is still a little high if you are trying to live here on one income, unless that income is pretty hefty. Depending on what area and if you will purchase a home or rent taxes are a necessary evil that every state has and you will have to pay no matter where you are, but again it is relative to your income as to weather or not you find it quite expensive. You have to be open to culture of many different areas and embrace it if you are serious about coming to Florida because what makes it such an interesting state is all that we have to offer and that includes our many varied ethnic residents. The culture you can experience here should be appreciated as a gift of learning from the comfort of your own yard...not many that I know would be able to enjoy visiting all over the world to experience all the cultures we are blessed to be introduced to here. There are also some very good holistic options in our state and a growing interest in alternative health options which is awesome (IMO), especially for someone like yourself that is looking for just that.

Florida offers nearly everything you could want in a state as long as you don't loose your appreciation for the treasures it offers. I have lived in Central Florida and have enjoyed the attractions, the beauty, the beaches and the culture but due to medical reasons feel it is best for us to move on. Although I would be amiss if I did not recommend you visiting Sarasota area, Port Charlotte, Crystal River (maybe)...some beautiful areas that offer much of what you are looking for at the moment. Central Florida is nice and you may consider Winter Garden but if you enjoy the beach I would definately recommend the other mentioned areas.

I'm sorry this is so long winded but I did enjoy living here and will be sad to leave but I also get frustrated when I hear all the negative about our state. Something nice had to bring everyone here, but reality is hard to live with when you are living in a dream world on a dream income...

Best of luck to you on your decision and just remember when someone tells you to be wary of the hurricanes if you go by the water that every state has it's dangers and you are not living if you are in fear, you are simply existing.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 AM

26,900 posts, read 43,406,570 times
I would pass on Orlando quite frankly if you're looking for less-scorching and a more Florida-like experience. Orlando has it's advantages but feel you'll be better served elsewhere. There also isn't a lot to do if one were to remove the amusement park aspect from everyday life, as it's not something a vast majority engage in when living here. If you want diversity and less scorching heat, check out Fort Lauderdale. It does get hot of course during the summer, but with the proximity to the ocean there is a sea breeze and less humidity than the interior section of the state. The east side of the city (near US1) offers easy access to services including a Whole Foods.

By the way I'm not sure I get the reference from your friend of "nothing there" in Jacksonville, as he/she is obviously playing off some perpetuated stereotype from those who drive through the city on I-95 without actually visiting. It's a city of 800,000+ and the premise it has nothing to offer is an insult to those who living there and an assault on basic intelligence. It also has beautiful beaches, and a Whole Foods as well...which is reflective of demographics and economic vibrancy as the company doesn't just open stores "wherever". I would recommend keeping it on your list if Fort Lauderdale isn't found to be appealing. Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida