Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 PM

19 posts, read 17,408 times

Advertisements

It's obvious just from reading this entire thread that many here just did not understand or even bother to read the dmv manual prior to taking their road test. The left lane is for passing only, if u r not passing then get the hell out of the left lane, what is so hard to understand about this? And who here said that they thought the middle lane is the fast lane, I tell ya drivers licenses have just been so dumbed down just so all can have the opportunity to drive. Really sad IMO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 02:00 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Saw this on another post, but once they legalize pot the slow pokes in the left lane of 95 will be the least of the problems! For they will be in every lane just driving along as they pick the daisies. But, just my thought..

Old 06-05-2015, 06:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags747 View Post
It's obvious just from reading this entire thread that many here just did not understand or even bother to read the dmv manual prior to taking their road test. The left lane is for passing only, if u r not passing then get the hell out of the left lane, what is so hard to understand about this? And who here said that they thought the middle lane is the fast lane, I tell ya drivers licenses have just been so dumbed down just so all can have the opportunity to drive. Really sad IMO...
welcome to the human species - people don't always behave the way you'd like them.....crazy, huh?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Virtually all states have signage that state very clearly "Slower traffic move to the right lanes". What about that is hard to understand? It doesn't say "if you're going the limit, it's your god given right to camp anywhere you like".
You are breaking the law if you impede traffic in any way regardless of the posted limit! You gonna sit out there with an ambulance on your tail with lights and siren active while assuring yourself you have the right to impede traffic moving faster than the limit. What planet sanctions that?
There's a big difference between an emergency vehicle with flashing lights/sirens and your rice rocket.....back off, go the speed limit, and I'll move over. But the longer you ride my ass, the longer you're going to wait behind me.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I wish more cops would do this to people who sit in the left lane, going the speed limit or below. The left lane is for passing, if someone wants to go above the speed limit that is their choice. If you are in the left lane and someone comes up behind you and they want to pass, move over and let them pass. I find myself passing people in the right lane so many times, or weaving through traffic because people won't stay out of the left lane or move over when I come up behind them going the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8

Old 06-05-2015, 02:27 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
People here are still arguing about Florida having a passing lane? We have never, and will never, have a "passing lane." We have a fast lane. The article itself explains the "new" law:

TALLAHASSEE (CBS4)- The Florida Senate has passed a bill aimed at reducing road rage by requiring motorists driving in the far left lane of a multiple lane road or highway to move to the right to let faster vehicles pass them.

Tell me where it says, "don't drive in the left lane." Actually, tell me where it says that the left lane is a passing lane in general.

Here's the driver's handbook page on passing.

Florida Drivers Handbook - Passing

Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
I can't understand why anyone would do the minimum speed limit (45) when the speed limit is 65. Seems to me that anyone coming up behind the slowpoke would almost have to panic stop because of the dramatic differences in speed. I think the minimum speed needs to be reset to at least 55 for safety sake. I don't take it personally when someone passes me. If they are driving fast, it's their ticket not mine. Just keep it in your lane.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 PM

19 posts, read 17,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
People here are still arguing about Florida having a passing lane? We have never, and will never, have a "passing lane." We have a fast lane. The article itself explains the "new" law:

TALLAHASSEE (CBS4)- The Florida Senate has passed a bill aimed at reducing road rage by requiring motorists driving in the far left lane of a multiple lane road or highway to move to the right to let faster vehicles pass them.

Tell me where it says, "don't drive in the left lane." Actually, tell me where it says that the left lane is a passing lane in general.

Here's the driver's handbook page on passing.

Florida Drivers Handbook - Passing
You can stay in the left lane all u want, but when a car is behind u it says that u r REQUIRED to move over to the right lane. Seems easy enough to understand. I get it, most people see driving as just getting from point A to point B. Knowledgable drivers understand inherently what is required of them on the road. Question, if the left lane is not a passing lane which lane do u use to pass? Does it not make sense that there should be one lane designated as a passing lane or should everyone just be bottled up?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags747 View Post
You can stay in the left lane all u want, but when a car is behind u it says that u r REQUIRED to move over to the right lane. Seems easy enough to understand. I get it, most people see driving as just getting from point A to point B. Knowledgable drivers understand inherently what is required of them on the road. Question, if the left lane is not a passing lane which lane do u use to pass? Does it not make sense that there should be one lane designated as a passing lane or should everyone just be bottled up?
Germany has a strict, enforceable rules regarding this. They have much better drivers there - Germans take tough driving courses (hands on) before being allowed to drive. They do things right there-

We? Not so much.

But here in the USA, if people are going the speed limits and cruising in the lefthand land, you'd have to be SPEEDING to bypass them, so in reality, aren't you breaking the law just as well?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 AM

162 posts, read 146,828 times
I wonder what would happen if our legislature stopped passing laws?

I wonder what would happen if the Police focused more on crime and less on traffic infractions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida