Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
I would assume Daytona, just because it's larger & busier than the hospital in Flagler, but I'm totally ignorant of wages in the medical field.

This is the hospital in Daytona:

Welcome To Halifax Medical Center : : Jobngs

and here's the one in Flagler:

Careers

Good Luck!
There's also another major hospital in the Daytona area now, Florida Hospital's new facility in Ormond Beach.

About Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,265 times
Default Totally agree

[quote=ssg II;18705665]Have you actually been here or are you just internet shopping for a home? I'd suggest renting in the area you're looking at before buying. There's no way I'd purchase a home without becoming familiar with the location!

I dislike Palm Coast as much as Dewd, but a lot of the residents are far from his description. Many of the homes are now designated "Section 8 Housing" and there are so many spec & investment properties, they'll rent to anyone.
You almost want to feel sorry for the Stepford wives and republicans who paid 300k; now their home is worth 100k and they're living next door to the baby-daddy welfare recipients. [/quote

I totally agree with you on your description of Palm Coast, this place is way to cookie cutter and fake!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,681 times
Cool Daytona vs Palm Coast for renting

I'm 25 year old female who just got a job in Palm Coast. I live 3 hours away so I need a place to rent ASAP! I am looking at PC and DB. I am clueless as to where to move but I have been doing research on the internet. I'm looking for a small house or duplex to rent under $600 a month. I am having difficulty finding that in Palm Coast, I've looked at all the rental and real estate websites. I've found 2 houses under $600 in Palm Coast on the internet but found plenty in Daytona Beach. Is this because the houses are a lot more expensive in PC? Or are these places cheap in Daytona because of the crime? On this website it says DB's crime is 9 out of 10, PC's 4 out of 10-do you think that's accurate? Is Daytona's crime really that bad? Is it true that PC is geared towards the retired and there's nothing to do? I am attracted to being in a city where there's lots to do and has nightlife but that crime statistic is pretty scary. I don't want to be bored in PC either and end up driving to DB all the time. What parts of Daytona Beach and Palm Coast should I stay away from? My job would be 9-5, how long does this commute take from DB to PC during these hours? Know any other good resources to find houses to rent? Please give me some advice, I would really really appreciate it

Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
^I can't help with prices but Palm Coast isn't the city for you if you want to have fun. The city is mainly full of retirees so there won't be much nightlife. Any city should have better nigtlife than palm Coast. From what I HEAR, St. Augustine has really good nightlife. Daytona should also be good too. But you won't have much fun in Palm Coast.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Any house/duplex renting for under $600 a month (especially in Daytona Beach) is going to be in a scary place, there's no way around it. Daytona's crime rate is fairly bad and as a single female searching in that price range it would be of major concern as to where you would wind up there. I would recommend abandoning a search for "houses/duplexes" and focus on one bedroom apartments as in that price range that's the only thing you'll find in a safe area. I'm sending you via Direct Mail some listings which are in safer areas such as Ormond Beach and still within your price range. Hope it helps!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,681 times
Thank you so much for the tips! The reason I'm not looking at apartments is because I have a very large, very challenging hound dog who whines a lot and I'm a musician who wants to play the drums and jam with others freely. But I may have no choice if I can't find any houses. I've tried very hard to find places in St. Augustine but haven't had any prospects whatsoever. I guess you've confirmed my fears that Daytona Beach should be out of the picture. I would rather be bored than robbed or raped and I can't afford anything more than $600 a month. I guess I will focus North of Daytona. I read that Ormond Beach is a family oriented, desirable area. Is Holly Hill just as bad as Daytona for crime?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 29,892 times
Holly Hill is just as bad as Daytona. The even call it Holly Hell as a nickname. Used to live in that area a while back. Even in Ormond there is crime, but not as bad as DB and HH.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM

227 posts, read 856,139 times
Palm coast is by far the nicest. I work all over the Daytona Beach area and I see far more distressed neighborhoods in Ormond- Daytona than in Palm Coast. Palm Coast was a planned community where Daytona just sprang up willy nilly. In Daytona there are many neighborhoods with old mobile homes and tiny 60's style houses. Commercial properties in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Question Oh Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Any house/duplex renting for under $600 a month (especially in Daytona Beach) is going to be in a scary place, there's no way around it. Daytona's crime rate is fairly bad and as a single female searching in that price range it would be of major concern as to where you would wind up there. I would recommend abandoning a search for "houses/duplexes" and focus on one bedroom apartments as in that price range that's the only thing you'll find in a safe area. I'm sending you via Direct Mail some listings which are in safer areas such as Ormond Beach and still within your price range. Hope it helps!
I don't see how someone living in Philly can offer ANY practical advice on a place they don't live in -- and live in another State (nor these cities they have never lived in either)!

Daytona Beach crime stats are skewed from special events. This means people come into town and commit crimes that show up in our stats (like from Flagler County and Ormond Beach). The locals are not acting out or on each other. It IS very safe here.

If you move to PC you WILL be bored (unless you like going to bed at 8pm like the locals)!

Get the facts, including your own neighborhood:
http://www.crimereports.com/

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgerider View Post
Palm coast is by far the nicest. I work all over the Daytona Beach area and I see far more distressed neighborhoods in Ormond- Daytona than in Palm Coast. Palm Coast was a planned community where Daytona just sprang up willy nilly. In Daytona there are many neighborhoods with old mobile homes and tiny 60's style houses. Commercial properties in the middle of residential neighborhoods.
WHAT??? Daytona sprang up willy-nilly? Make sure you know what you're talking about before you post such nonsense, blueridger! You've just insulted the natives of Volusia County and shown your ignorance of Florida history. Hopefully, no true Florida historians or Nascar fans read your post! Your "route" must be limited to the dicey areas and exclude the beachside and riverfront mansions, as well as established upper & middle class neighborhoods in Ormond & Daytona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida