Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 28,435 times

Advertisements

We are planning on relocating to Flroida in August '07. We have a trip planned for April to visit the area, schools to see if this is what we are really looking for. One of our main concerns is the schools? We have a 4 1/2 years old and a 2 1/2 year old. Do they bus the kids in Florida?
The 4 towns we are interested in are Citrus Springs, Dunnellon (Marion County), Beverly Hills and Hernando.
Is it difficult to get a job in this area?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
Hernando is a county just south of Citrus. Hernando Count has Spring Hill and Brooksville. Spring Hill is just suburbia connected to Tampa through the toll road. The schools here are very good overall. Brooksville is a much older town with some stagnant poverty. But Brooksville has the court houses and other services tht people need to drive to from Spring Hill. Its about a fifteen minute drive. The entire area is growing like most places in Florida. Citrus County is growing at the same rate but its smaller overall. There isnt much difference between the two except that Citrus is more country and its farther from Tampa. I guess if you like Florida you will like it. Personally I dream of being somewhere else all the time. I dont like this state at all. The schools are good. Jobs are very low paying and scarce. Summer heat is intense. Winter weather is the best part but it all feels like one same season really. Winter dries up and turns all crusty. It just gets old here really fast.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Well actually there is a small town in Citrus County called Hernando. I live in Inverness just 5 minutes south of there. Not much to say about Hernando as there's one stop light and if you blink you'll miss it. Beverly Hills is the same. It's just a small place. Your kids will probably go to school in Crystal River or Inverness and yes we do bus children here. I have a 14 year old special needs child in Inverness Middle and i think the school has done great for her. She started in this county in Elementary and did just as well for her there. As far as jobs in the area, there's lots of medical jobs. we have 2 hospitals in Citrus County. Automotive dealerships are big too. I'd suggest when your down here to drive out to the lakes in Inverness. It's just 5 minutes past Hernando. there's a beutiful park for the kids, walking piers and fishing piers. The place is busy in the summer with boaters, swimmers and jet skis.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 28,435 times
Default Citrus County

So if we purchased a home in Citrus Springs, how far would they bus a 5 year old?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgolf21 View Post
So if we purchased a home in Citrus Springs, how far would they bus a 5 year old?
Well Citrus Springs is 12 miles from Crystal River but only 5 from Dunnellon according to Mapquest. I'm not familiar with those areas. They are in the more rural areas of Citrus County. Now Citrus Springs or Dunnellon may have their own schools, i'm not sure. You'll have to check into that for those areas but i do know Hernando has no schools and it's 5 miles to Inverness.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,787 times
I have a house in NC I will sell you. Lived in Sarasota for three and half years
and thought the same way you did but found out when the cold comes you
long for thise Fl Temps.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgolf21 View Post
I live in Hernando (the town) and work at Lecanto High School. The district provides bussing for all kids, as there are practically no sidewalks in the rural parts of the county! I have 2 kids, 9 and 12 and we moved here 3 years ago from Buffalo. It is a wonderful place to raise a family. The primary schools provide a good, quality education.
Please feel free to contact me with any more questions.
Wendy

Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM

121 posts, read 504,268 times
My Dad lived in Beverly Hills and it was mainly older residents.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 AM

8 posts, read 30,289 times
Hi Wendy,
Please help.
We are checking out Citrus county for the 2nd time this weekend. There are so many sex offenders it scares me and I'm worried that some of the neighborhoods may not be kid friendly. Where is an upscale neighborhood that is safe and family friendly? Terra Vista? Sugarmill woods??

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM

713 posts, read 2,670,512 times
Hi Rubbertoes. Another Buffalo transplant here. I moved to FL 15+ years ago and other than a few trips home, I have not returned. I do miss our holiday traditions but that's not enough to carry me year round so I'm fairly happy here. I def. do not miss those frigid temps in winter, dreary, gray days and neighborhoods and pot holes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida