Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM

119 posts, read 610,540 times

Advertisements

Dear Sunrico and company,

As a native Baltimorean, I would like to sincerely apologize for my unsightly presence in your hallowed grounds. I never realized I was destroying a way of life that so many treasured with my rude, nonsouthern behavior. I will be on the first train back to Bmore when the job market allows.

I haven't even moved to Jax yet and I already feel like I'm being kicked out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
I'm not from Florida ...been here 20 years tho!

I think of Florida farmers when I think of Floridians.
They work hard, keep a tight community and live off the land as much as possible.

I dont' think you can put all Floridians in the same bucket tho, so many different people.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash731 View Post

As a native Baltimorean, I would like to sincerely apologize for my unsightly presence in your hallowed grounds. I never realized I was destroying a way of life that so many treasured with my rude, nonsouthern behavior. I will be on the first train back to Bmore when the job market allows.

Don't give it a thought, most of the people who complain have been here like a minute and a half themselves. I have been here since around 1950 but we were from NJ. Most are from somewhere else.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 AM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When I think of Floridians, I think of the non-native Floridans that are moving into my area because they think it is cheap, and rudely trying to change the place, like they did to Florida.

When I think of native-Floridians, I think of lovely people that have been overrun by outsiders.

And then I think of the people that overran my little town in Massachusetts.

Then I realize that they are really just yuppies. Classless, rude yuppies that are looking for the next get-quick-rich scheme. Walmart shoppers that want to save a buck, pave over paradise and worry about themselves, without regard for their neighbors or the long-term effect of their actions.

When I think of Floridians, I guess I am really thinking of the selfish baby boomers. I guess I am not really thinking of real Floridans, at all.
I was born and raised in NYC, Manhattan to be specific. No, my family was not RICH. If you want to find a place anywhere in this country where the number of non -natives totally outnumber the "native" population, Manhattan, NY, is IT. You know what? I never considered it a big deal. You want to talk about people from other states "invading your territory"? How about vast numbers of people from all around the WORLD? Walk down any street and you can hear just about every language under the sun being spoken. SO WHAT? Who cares who doesn't assimiliate into a STATE'S culture. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what that is supposed to be. We aren't CLONES of each other no matter where we happen to be living at a particular time.

I moved to Long Island in my 30s and raised my two daughters there. Even though I lived there for 20 years, I never considered myself to be an "Islander", just a NYC person who lived on LI. I feel the same about Florida. I am a New Yorker who NOW happens to live in Florida, for however long that may happen to be. I came here because of circumstances beyond my control, not for any kind of "paradise". If those circumstances dictated Alaska, well that is where I would be right now.

You know, I really do not see anything wrong with living among people from different states/countries, ethnicites/cultures, languages, etc., etc. Personally, I think it is great. You will learn more in everyday life than you could ever learn in school or from a book.

Free to be you. Free to be me. It's what makes America great.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Quote:

Wow, I thought the same thing when I first came to this board, but you know what? Do damn bad for them because I am coming whether they like it or not.
I have worked hard for that day to come, very hard and no native is going to stop me.
They don't own the state, they have borrowed it and laid claim to it like it is all theirs.
I am coming down to get my piece of the pie, it's what I have worked for and will get it, if they don't want to share it, THEY CAN LEAVE !!

As mentioned before I am not coming down to change anything and you probably were not either, but you don't see them whine when we are the biggest part of the Florida economy as visitors do they.

If you want to move to Fla, move, if they don't like it they can move to Baltimore in your place.

I too felt kicked out before I am even there, but not anymore.

By the way, Sunrico doesn't feel that way....

Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:

Smash,

You are NOT doing nothing to destroy my hallowed grounds. The state is wide open for anyone. Maybe many are NOT open within the state.

Here is my post: Has to be the great friends that I met in Navarre... Also comes to my mind beaches, tourist, great fishing, great weather, hurricanes, the spirit of the communities to help each other and support everyone...

Like many I'm not a true Floridan (from NYC), but for over 15 years this state and friends have provided what no other place can provide. I made a choice to live here and to enjoy and get the best of everything. Today I have achieved most of my goals and the ones pending will be accomplished in 7 seven years.

Feel welcome to come and visit or plant your roots and discover what this great state has to offer. But remember is up to you to reach and achieve your goals, is up to you to get a job, is up to you to use your AC and not complain about heat/humidity. Is all up to you and YES you are welcome.

Note: I do mention the AC for the ones that live here can't stand the heat and always complain....

Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 PM

143 posts, read 871,065 times
Note: I do mention the AC for the ones that live here can't stand the heat and always complain

they're usually the ones who have chopped all the trees down so they can have a palm tree in the front garden thus having now the sun bearing down on their house all day as the natural shade has gone

Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I was born and raised in NYC, Manhattan to be specific. No, my family was not RICH. If you want to find a place anywhere in this country where the number of non -natives totally outnumber the "native" population, Manhattan, NY, is IT. You know what? I never considered it a big deal. You want to talk about people from other states "invading your territory"? How about vast numbers of people from all around the WORLD? Walk down any street and you can hear just about every language under the sun being spoken. SO WHAT? Who cares who doesn't assimiliate into a STATE'S culture. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what that is supposed to be. We aren't CLONES of each other no matter where we happen to be living at a particular time.

I moved to Long Island in my 30s and raised my two daughters there. Even though I lived there for 20 years, I never considered myself to be an "Islander", just a NYC person who lived on LI. I feel the same about Florida. I am a New Yorker who NOW happens to live in Florida, for however long that may happen to be. I came here because of circumstances beyond my control, not for any kind of "paradise". If those circumstances dictated Alaska, well that is where I would be right now.

You know, I really do not see anything wrong with living among people from different states/countries, ethnicites/cultures, languages, etc., etc. Personally, I think it is great. You will learn more in everyday life than you could ever learn in school or from a book.

Free to be you. Free to be me. It's what makes America great.
Excellent thoughts HockeyMom72

Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

143 posts, read 871,065 times
Hockey mom did you actually read what you wrote after and think about how it sounded though I probably get the impression you don't care
think that's the point many are making about attitudes

How about vast numbers of people from all around the WORLD? Walk down any street and you can hear just about every language under the sun being spoken. SO WHAT? Who cares who doesn't assimiliate into a STATE'S culture. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what that is supposed to be.

they care and do want to understand other people when they ask a question, order something or even have a conversation personally after travelling around the world and living in various countries now this I seenothing wrong with it

you live in naples the nice expensive mostly white english speaking place so are you moving to miami , orlando or tampa then for what you want/learn/don't mind ?

you'll love it there as for learning, learning what ? .

I've lived round the world and you learn a language / culture when you are in that country as you have to and you know why ? because everyone speaks that language and the countries I've been have a strong culture as they want those who go there to respect their culture and language and you knwo what I do and have. The very same as this country I came to
You don't learn it by visiting a mexican restaurant then retreating into your all white housing english speaking housing association then telling your new neighbour how you love diversity

Do damn bad for them because I am coming whether they like it or not.
THEY CAN LEAVE !!

I can't speak for them but I think that is the sort of attitude what they might be on about. could be wrong though

Old 07-31-2007, 04:11 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
floridabound09, we want you here. dont think that you are not wanted here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida