Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM

35 posts, read 191,878 times

Advertisements

Florida is by far the state with the Fastest growing Puerto Rican population.. in 1980 there was about 50,000 of us in the state, in 1990 there was about 250,000 of us in the state, by 2000 there was well over 700,000 in the state, now in 2010 there is over 1,000,000 of us in the state... Many can be found throughout the state but the region most effected is the Central Florida/Orlando area. Most come from Puerto Rico and several northern cities especially New york.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I think any time you get too large of a percentage from one demographic group together it's not a good thing. That can mean anything from a bunch of college kids to a large group of a specific religion to a large number of people with a single ethnic background. There is strength in diversity.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
I don't care as long as they assimilate and speak English in public settings (like at places of business, et cetera).

Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I don't care as long as they assimilate and speak English in public settings (like at places of business, et cetera).
What do you mean assimilate, they are American citizens. They can speak any language they want it is no ones business.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
What do you mean assimilate, they are American citizens. They can speak any language they want it is no ones business.
Yes, but if one moves from "the island" to "the mainland," you would expect them to adapt to the way things are in America, at least in principal. There ARE some pronounced cultural differences between Puerto Rican (island) culture, and culture in the United States. Otherwise, why bother? Might as well be those people who move here from their "better, native states" and refuse to accept that some things are different from where they come from.

I never understood anti-assimilation immigration perspectives? I am first generation American on one side and thank god every day my father didn't try to keep "the old country" ways upon arrival!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes, but if one moves from "the island" to "the mainland," you would expect them to adapt to the way things are in America, at least in principal. There ARE some pronounced cultural differences between Puerto Rican (island) culture, and culture in the United States. Otherwise, why bother? Might as well be those people who move here from their "better, native states" and refuse to accept that some things are different from where they come from.

I never understood anti-assimilation immigration perspectives? I am first generation American on one side and thank god every day my father didn't try to keep "the old country" ways upon arrival!
I agree, it is in ones own best interest. What I didn't understand was the way the poster presented it. I don't care to be told how I have to look, live, or sound because it doesn't suit someone. The poster said they didn't care as long as, etc. I am sorry but no one needs their permission.
If you define assimilate as it was presented in the post it means, You are welcome as long as you act, think and speak like me. That doesn't even represent what the concept of this country is. You don't need anyone's permission to be different as long as you stay within the confines of the law.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I grew up in Central FL so never really noticed it, have always just accepted it as normal. Most of my PR friends and PR people I know are regular working class folks. I know there are some PR ghettos in the Southside areas but even my PR friends don't go there unless they family there. As far as language, it's becoming a moot point. Most PR, particularly younger people, speak English and alot are beginning to lose their Spanish fluency. But this is true in just about every ethnic community.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know they are American citizens. I'm sure they do things differently on the island. Some Puerto Ricans I know are always late to things and blame it on "island time" or whatever. I feel like they should change habits like that when they come over to the mainland.

As far as language goes, I don't care if they speak it at home, to their families, or to their children, but I think they need to speak English in at least the business world. Puerto Ricans are better at this that other Hispanics, though, with the US influence and English taught in schools and all.

Please don't take my posts to be xenophobic or anti-Puerto Rican in any way. I really don't care how many come over; they don't bother me. I have better things to worry about.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Yes, I know they are American citizens. I'm sure they do things differently on the island. Some Puerto Ricans I know are always late to things and blame it on "island time" or whatever. I feel like they should change habits like that when they come over to the mainland.

As far as language goes, I don't care if they speak it at home, to their families, or to their children, but I think they need to speak English in at least the business world. Puerto Ricans are better at this that other Hispanics, though, with the US influence and English taught in schools and all.

Please don't take my posts to be xenophobic or anti-Puerto Rican in any way. I really don't care how many come over; they don't bother me. I have better things to worry about.
That is good to hear you don't mind if they come here. To repeat myself, they don't need your ***MOD CUT*** permission, they are American citizens.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-26-2011 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
That is good to hear you don't mind if they come here. To repeat myself, they don't need your ***MOD CUT*** permission, they are American citizens.
You are really taking me out of context. The OP--in a very sly, trollish way--asked how Floridians feel about Puerto Ricans moving to the state. I've said multiple times that I don't care that Puerto Ricans are moving to the state. This whole thing about you thinking I'm giving them "permission" or that they're okay as long as they act and think like me is ridiculous and is just you trying to start an argument where there isn't one.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-26-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida