Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 9,275 times

Advertisements

My parents & I are kicking around the idea of leaving NJ for FL in a few years. I currently live in a community 15 minutes from everything & the Jersey Shore, and would like to be close to the beach. I work as a massage therapist & think it would be good to be somewhat close to Orlando, as I believe I would have better luck finding work in that area, where tourists would be taking advantage of spa services.

I'm thinking of the Cocoa area..I like that it's on the coast, and admittedly I am a bit of a space nerd & like the idea of being able to watch the rockets launch, etc. But more practically, how is that area to live in? I would be looking to purchase a condo, preferably $140k or under. I am in my early 30's & would like to be in a nice safe area where there are other people my age. I have no problem working in a spa environment in a resort, but my focus as a massage therapist is also rehabilitative therapeutic massage, so I would also like access to sports/orthopedic doctors, chiropractors, holistic practitioners.

My parents are retired, Mom has arthritis that's getting tougher to bear during the winters up here, plus it's just getting too expensive to live. They currently live in a similar area to where I am now...Target right up the road, supermarkets, restaurants very nearby, etc. They are mostly homebodies, but would enjoy active adult community living, with most stores/restaurants, etc. near to them. They are very active in their Roman Catholic parish, so that would be important as well. The other thing is my mother also suffers from neurological difficulties & it's of highest importance they have access to a nearby hospital & a choice of good physicians in that specialty. They probably would not want to be far from the amusement parks since they have loved vacationing there (and if my brother makes the move that is likely where he will go, although we would both want to be close to them).

I appreciate any advice you guys could give me, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,275 times
well, just read the thread on the space coast, sounds like cocoa's NOT the place for me! lol and the search begins anew...

Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Sound's like Palm Coast would be ideal.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Jacksonville, particularly the south side. The beaches are beautiful, the cost of living is low, there are plenty of recreational/social activities, lots of young professionals (the median age is 34) and the world famous Mayo Clinic has a facility there. It's also an easy two hour drive to the parks in Orlando.

Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mayo Clinic Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida

Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Most people visiting Central Florida (Orlando/Cocoa) seem to be focused on the all-u-can-eat prime rib buffet and theme parks with their kids/grandkids. An example of this mentality would be setting up a massage table at your local McDonald's and see how many takers sign up!

There are small segments of orphaned partners who come in for conferences and book spa services while their partner is out doing business at said conference/convention (most likely the visit focus would be to get the partner to take the kids to a theme park).

The other option is looking at the concessions for spa treatments on the cruise lines that sail out of Port Canaveral and apply with them. Each line contract varies with the length you're out to sea (and how you're treated as "crew" on board).

And don't forget there is already a noteworthy massage academy out of Orlando that is churning out graduates regularly -- with an already sizeable group of qualified/licensed MT's in the State looking for the exact gig you are.

I believe you will be required for additional endorsements, CEU's, etc. to get referrals from MDs or work under Physical Therapists, Chiropractors that also require health insurance vetting.

Here's a link to FL license requirements for MT's:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/massa...therapist.html

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 05-03-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Have them look at Summit Greens or Kings Ridge in Clermont. Both offer active adult living with a small town feel, close to shopping, restaurants, a hospital, and a thriving RC parish.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:46 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
You are going to have a difficult time finding a job here.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 28,463 times
Have them check out Victoria Gardens in DeLand. You can see the shuttle from there. Or, Trilogy, just north in Clermont. Both are active adult communities by Shea Homes. You won't find better lifestyle communities or a better builder.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Cocoa is one big ghetto area. I lived in Rockledge and when I was on call and had to go into Cocoa, I brought my gun.... Cocoa Beach however, is not too bad. Kind of old. Look into Melbourne areas. Find a job first... That will be harder than anything.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
You might want to compare what you make in New Jersey compared to what you will make in FL........

Also, be prepared for your pay in FL to stay the same for years and years....wages stagnate here like no other place i've been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida